•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This has gone too far

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#1 danmdak

danmdak

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

Talking about all the nicknames that now are popular in astronomy.

"The Super Wolf Blood Moon". Really? Asterisms are one thing, but I just think for the other stuff it is ridiculous.

There were always a few named deep sky objects like the Whirlpool galaxy, the Black-eye galaxy, the Lagoon Nebula, etc. But now.....heck just make them up. How about the Paper Clip galaxy? The Eraser nebula. The Jack in the Beanstalk nebula, the Sushi galaxy. Last week I swept up another faint galaxy with my 16", at the limit of visibility. Thus I will forever in all writings wish it to be referred to as  'The Puff of Smoke Galaxy". And next months full moon is nothing special. I fully expect newspapers across the country to herald  "The Bland Kitten White Moon".

Okay. I have vented. Thank you for allowing me to vent.

• Dave Mitsky, Starman1, ArizonaScott and 19 others like this

#2 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:18 AM

Hey, if it makes you happy, call em as you see fit. Who knows, the name may stick. As to the moon, well:

- A super moon occurs when the full moon is at its closest point to Earth. This means it appears bigger and brighter than usual.

- It's called a "blood moon" because, from Earth, the moon appears blood red as it passes into Earth's shadow.

- The first Full Moon of the year is named after howling wolves, hence Wolf Moon.

There is some logic in the naming convention, although it is really getting a bit too long ;)

• csa/montana, Applal, Astrojensen and 7 others like this

#3 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:21 AM

If this long name for the moon gets more people interested in looking up; I'm all for whatever they wish to name things. smile.gif 

• Jon Isaacs, George N, mountain monk and 16 others like this

#4 Stellar1

Stellar1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

I think if anything, crazy sounding names like "blood wolf moon" actually arouse curiosity from those outside the hobby, which is a good thing.

• csa/montana, aeajr, AstroKerr and 1 other like this

#5 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

I have no problem with Wolf Moon. Names for moons of various seasons have a long history and, even as is true, they mean nothing, I'm fine with it.

The super moon craze is utter BS. A full moon at perigee is unnoticeably bigger and brighter than a full moon at apogee. If it were twice as big, sure, calling it a super moon would make sense.

As for blood moon, you guys saw it. If that was the color of your blood, you should seek medical attention ASAP. 

• Dave Mitsky, Starman1, David Knisely and 4 others like this

#6 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:39 AM

Last week my wife excitedly asked me "What is a Super Wolf Blood Moon!?!?!?".  I responded "A lunar eclipse in January with the Moon a tiny bit larger than usual".  She was no longer excited.

If it gets people interested, what's the harm.

• George N, airbleeder, Astrola72 and 1 other like this

#7 Mark326

Mark326

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

Poll: Which object would you rather view

ARP 85

M-51

NGC 5194

The Whirlpool Galaxy

The January 2019 Lunar eclipse at near Perigee, just isn’t going to capture the attention of many who are not interested in astronomy. If Super Blood Wolf Moon gets someone interested enough to want too see the astronomical event and perhaps learn more, that is good.

Now don’t get me going on every storm event requiring a name which I view as a money grab by the insurance industry.  Does your homeowner policy have a different deductible based on if damage is caused by a named storm?

• Astrola72 and Codbear like this

#8 opticsguy

opticsguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

I really really can not wait for the up-coming     "Bland Kitten White Moon"      Very very exciting!!!!!!!

• Dave Mitsky, Starman1, danmdak and 5 others like this

#9 opticsguy

opticsguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:56 AM

In September the full moon is NOW described as the    "Quantum 70 Orange Baryonic Kreig Moon"  in honor of some guy turning 70 during the new moon in September.  smile.gif 

#10 PirateMike

PirateMike

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:01 AM

I want to image the "Big Fat Juicy Red Hot Tomato Nebula"!

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 22 January 2019 - 11:02 AM.

• TAS, pgs/sdg and twidget like this

#11 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:12 AM

Well why isn't it named halfway super moon when it's at the midpoint between closest and furthest?

And if it's a blood moon shouldn't it be blue/purple or whichever color you want to call it since there is no oxygen in space to turn it red once it hits the air?...
  • Dave Mitsky and Exnihilo like this

#12 birger

birger

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:47 AM

I see no problem with naming nebulae after what they look like from Earth. It's easier to remember the names too, instead of memorizing some awkward catalog number.

• spaceoddity, airbleeder and DC Lover like this

#13 Araguaia

Araguaia

Apollo

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:01 PM

Next: the I.A.U. will revise and officialize nebula names.  The Orion Nebula will be renamed De Peirescs' Nebula due to precedence rules, in a very controversial meeting, full of defenestrations and gnashing of teeth.

#14 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:08 PM

What on Earth is wrong with naming things? Quite a natural human trait, and besides, many of the names for the full Moon of each month date back to the Native Americans.

A little bit of living history that I embrace.

Edited by Astroman007, 22 January 2019 - 01:08 PM.

• Bill Weir, PirateMike, airbleeder and 2 others like this

#15 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:10 PM

If this long name for the moon gets more people interested in looking up; I'm all for whatever they wish to name things. smile.gif

I agree totally Carol. There were more people interested in this Lunar Eclipse and asking me questions than I have ever had before. Some did ask why it was named as such so I had to do a bit of research to make sure I could answer their questions.

Unfortunately the 5 weeks of rain/clouds continued, but there were breaks every 15-20 minutes where we could see the progress.

Edited by Codbear, 23 January 2019 - 04:26 AM.

• csa/montana and NorthernlatAK like this

#16 vdog

vdog

Viking 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

How about the Paper Clip galaxy? The Eraser nebula. The Jack in the Beanstalk nebula, the Sushi galaxy. Last week I swept up another faint galaxy with my 16", at the limit of visibility. Thus I will forever in all writings wish it to be referred to as  'The Puff of Smoke Galaxy".

What are you saying?  Those are my favorite DSOs!

Observing the Sushi galaxy always makes me hungry, though.

• danmdak and HardCopy like this

#17 Jond105

Jond105

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Detroit

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:56 PM

Everybody names things. My wife calls my car old blue, because it's blue. It was amazing how many of my friends talked about the blood moon on Facebook, cause I know none of them would have cared about a moon any other day.
  • BFaucett likes this

#18 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:27 PM

Both M33 and M101 carry the Pinwheel Galaxy appellation and in some references M99 does too.  M17 has 5 different common names.  NGC 457 has at least 13 different nicknames. 

Dave Mitsky

#19 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:47 PM

Both M33 and M101 carry the Pinwheel Galaxy appellation and in some references M99 does too. 

Now, that I have noticed. Caused me endless confusion. There ought to be only one Pinwheel Galaxy...M33!

#20 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

The term "Blood Moon" was coined by a christian author of a book which tied the lunar eclipse to a coming apocalypse.
I do not like the term and I don’t appreciate it’s fear mongering stance. I am happy to see that others on this website find the term objectionable.

• Dave Mitsky, David Knisely, Steve OK and 4 others like this

#21 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

Now, that I have noticed. Caused me endless confusion. There ought to be only one Pinwheel Galaxy...M33!

But M101 is more commonly called the Pinwheel Galaxy.  wink.gif 

All these nicknames have to lead to confusion, one nickname per DSO, please!

• spaceoddity and bobito like this

#22 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:59 PM

There were always a few named deep sky objects like the Whirlpool galaxy, the Black-eye galaxy, the Lagoon Nebula, etc. But now.....heck just make them up. How about the 

Steven O'Meara gave a number of previously unnamed DSOs nautical/piratical nicknames to coincide with the title of his book Hidden Treasures.

Dave Mitsky

#23 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

The term "Blood Moon" was coined by a christian author of a book which tied the lunar eclipse to a coming apocalypse.
I do not like the term and I don’t appreciate it’s fear mongering stance. I am happy to see that others on this website find the term objectionable.

I certainly agree.

#24 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:11 PM

But M101 is more commonly called the Pinwheel Galaxy.  wink.gif

Noooo...!

Yes, that. One must be careful not to allow the language of the cultists, of the hawkers of imaginary fear and terror, to enter their vocabularies. In our fear is the seeds of their control. A man who fears nothing, who is ever placid, can not be controlled.

But the term "Blood Moon" is not one of the old traditional names of the Moon. Those should remain. That way you can say, for example, "I have no idea what you are talking about. Your terminology is in error. I take it that you have no familiarity with astronomy? It is a Full Wolf Moon in a state of eclipse." wink.gif

Edited by Astroman007, 22 January 2019 - 06:12 PM.

• Phil Cowell and twidget like this

#25 mogur

mogur

Gemini

• Loc: WI

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

Poll: Which object would you rather view

ARP 85

M-51

NGC 5194

The Whirlpool Galaxy

The January 2019 Lunar eclipse at near Perigee, just isn’t going to capture the attention of many who are not interested in astronomy. If Super Blood Wolf Moon gets someone interested enough to want too see the astronomical event and perhaps learn more, that is good.

Now don’t get me going on every storm event requiring a name which I view as a money grab by the insurance industry.  Does your homeowner policy have a different deductible based on if damage is caused by a named storm?

Hurricanes have a long history of being named, but what's this drivel about naming every winter snow event? Stupid!

• spaceoddity likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics