•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This has gone too far

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#26 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Vanguard

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:38 PM

I think I'm going to start naming objects as to what I think they look like, could be interesting. lol

On a similar subject line, I've learned recently that we don't just name hurricanes and tropical storms but winter snow storms are now also being named. Now that is truly ridiculous.

• BFaucett likes this

#27 grif 678

grif 678

Apollo

• Loc: NC

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

How about the "look like Mars moon"

• izar187 likes this

#28 ascii

ascii

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:48 PM

I think that the Super Blood Wolf Moon name is silly and don't use it, but I can see where it might help some non-astronomers get interested.  C'est la vie.

There are also many absurdities in real astronomical naming.  There are stars that lie outside their constellation's boundaries, like 31 Crateris located within the boundary of the constellation Corvus.  There are names that are given to more than one star, like Atik.  What is Markarian 6?  Is it an open cluster or a seyfert galaxy?  Have you ever looked at the Bayer designations beyond Omega and double star naming conventions?  How many NGC objects don't actually exist?  It's all a big mess.

The winter storm naming nonsense was started by the Weather Channel.  From what I've heard, all other meteorological organizations are ignoring them.

• Dave Mitsky and twidget like this

#29 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:21 PM

My thinking about deep space objects and names:

Names are easier to remember than alphanumeric designations.  Anything that helps me remember something is good. 

Names also are descriptive and can add intrigue.  There's a lot of magic in the eyepiece.  Alphanumerics are sterile,  "clinical" and boring.  NGC6946.. Or the Fireworks galaxy .  I spent most of my adult life in a laboratory , making measurements,  doing experiments.  Careful descriptions and cataloging of data was important. 

I'm not doing that anymore.  I'm not playing scientist , I'm a tourist of the universe.. The vast majority of the objects I view have M-,  NGC- , IC- , UGC-,  PGC- or some other alphanumeric.  A name every so often is welcome. 

Jon

• airbleeder, ascii, DC Lover and 3 others like this

#30 ascii

ascii

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:35 PM

My thinking about deep space objects and names:

Names are easier to remember than alphanumeric designations.  Anything that helps me remember something is good. 

Names also are descriptive and can add intrigue.  There's a lot of magic in the eyepiece.  Alphanumerics are sterile,  "clinical" and boring.  NGC6946.. Or the Fireworks galaxy .  I spent most of my adult life in a laboratory , making measurements,  doing experiments.  Careful descriptions and cataloging of data was important. 

I'm not doing that anymore.  I'm not playing scientist , I'm a tourist of the universe.. The vast majority of the objects I view have M-,  NGC- , IC- , UGC-,  PGC- or some other alphanumeric.  A name every so often is welcome. 

Jon

I agree, as long as in discussions, they are widely agreed upon names that don't leave others guessing which object they belong to.

• Dave Mitsky likes this

#31 M57Guy

M57Guy

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:16 PM

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I've seen the "puff of smoke galaxy" once or twice.

Didn't know that's what it was called at the time, but it makes perfect sense now.

• danmdak, spaceoddity and LasVegasMikey like this

#32 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:21 PM

I think I'm going to start naming objects as to what I think they look like, could be interesting. lol

On a similar subject line, I've learned recently that we don't just name hurricanes and tropical storms but winter snow storms are now also being named. Now that is truly ridiculous.

I predict some Shelly Snow for you tonight. Followed by Crystal Hail.

#33 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:27 PM

I see your point. However, I heard a lot of people talking up the 'super blood moon' or words thereto. If this buzz gets people to look up, then it is harmless. 

• Jon Isaacs, George N and airbleeder like this

#34 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:02 PM

I find the super wolf bood moon or whatever it is as just more media over hype.  People look up expecting the moon to take up half the sky.  I recall a comet a few years ago that was hyped endlessly that turned out meh.  This same over hype got Mars as big and close as the moon.  I saw “giant asteroid” closely flying by earth with a lot of the text warning of possible impacts just before Christmas.  Here is one for you:  Giant Galaxy to collide with Milky Way!  Run for the hills.  

Edited by Dwight J, 22 January 2019 - 11:03 PM.

• danmdak and twidget like this

#35 LasVegasMikey

LasVegasMikey

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:03 PM

This past summer I started my own DSO / star catalog appropriately called ‘Mike’s Catalog of Amazing Things’. Thus far my eclectic identification system has simply borrowed the existing ID’s used by some of the more popular catalogs (i.e., M___, NGC___, and even a few common nicknames). This is a system which I fully expect to continue however I’m not ruling out the possibility of a pet-name or two creeping into the catalog - especially if I’m feeling particularly inspired at the time. We’ll only have to worry about it if I become famous and people start using my list.

• stevew and Mark326 like this

#36 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:54 PM

What on Earth is wrong with naming things? Quite a natural human trait, and besides, many of the names for the full Moon of each month date back to the Native Americans.

A little bit of living history that I embrace.

While I agree they chose only one name from one specific group to label this Moon period with. To the first peoples of my area it would be a different name. It’s also one that’s more friendly and inviting.  http://www.racerocks...ons/ninene.html

Bill

• Astroman007 likes this

#37 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

And on the other side of Canada it would be this Moon.  https://m.facebook.c...}}}&__tn__=EH-R I wonder which group from Turtle Island worried about wolves?

Bill

• Astroman007 likes this

#38 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:17 AM

Names also are descriptive and can add intrigue.

Unfortunately, many of the more recent DSO common names are anything but descriptive of the objects in question.  What's descriptive astronomically about the Deer Lick Group?  This unfortunate moniker was the result of an Internet post and was actually named after an observing site.  I suppose there is some intrigue involved in this one, however, since people who don't know the origin are trying to figure out what it's supposed to mean. wink.gif

Dave Mitsky

• LasVegasMikey likes this

#39 EJN

EJN

Skylab

• Loc: Between what is and what's not there

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:31 AM

What's the NGC # of the Belching Aardvark Nebula?

• danmdak likes this

#40 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:40 AM

Unfortunately, many of the more recent DSO common names are anything but descriptive of the objects in question.  What's descriptive astronomically about the Deer Lick Group?  This unfortunate moniker was the result of an Internet post and was actually named after an observing site.  I suppose there is some intrigue involved in this one, however, since people who don't know the origin are trying to figure out what it's supposed to mean. wink.gif

Dave Mitsky

Dave:

When you mentioned the Deer Lick group, I knew immediately what that was.

I think that many common names come from astro-photography, they're true nature is not necessarily revealed even in a relatively large telescope. But nonetheless, when one is spending the night with IC, PGC etc galaxies, one or two common names, they're refreshing.  

Jon

• Astroman007 likes this

#41 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:32 AM

The Swan Nebula is descriptive of M17.  The Ring Nebula is descriptive of M57.  The 37 Cluster is descriptive of NGC 2169.  Thor's Helmet is descriptive of NGC 2359.  The Deer Lick Group is descriptive of what?  A salt lick to lure deer? wink.gif 

Why should NGC 1647 be christened the Pirate Moon Cluster and NGC 6520 be called Dead Man's Chest to fit in with a book title?

Dave Mitsky

#42 Araguaia

Araguaia

Apollo

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:58 AM

But M101 is more commonly called the Pinwheel Galaxy.  wink.gif 

But then you have M83, the "Southern Pinwheel"...

...and all the other "Southern" this or that.  Rather boreosupremacist, if you ask me.  grin.gif

Then again, there is no Northern Cross!  Yet...

#43 Araguaia

Araguaia

Apollo

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:05 AM

Some stuff we have named for internal use only:

- NGC 1365 is the Z Galaxy

- NGC 6337 is the Ghost of the Ring

- the biggest globs in Ara and Pavo are the Ara and Pavo globular clusters (duh...)

- NGC 1549 and NGC 1553 are the Dorado Duo 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#44 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:57 AM

The Swan Nebula is descriptive of M17.  The Ring Nebula is descriptive of M57.  The 37 Cluster is descriptive of NGC 2169.  Thor's Helmet is descriptive of NGC 2359.  The Deer Lick Group is descriptive of what?  A salt lick to lure deer? wink.gif 

Why should NGC 1647 be christened the Pirate Moon Cluster and NGC 6520 be called Dead Man's Chest to fit in with a book title?

Dave Mitsky

Dave:

I never claimed all common names were descriptive,  a good number are and for me, that adds to the intrigue and interest.  And my old brain certainly remembers the Blue Snowball or the Blue Flash better than their respective NGC designations . Likewise with the Northern Jewel Box/Table of Scorpius . This magnificent region needs a name more descriptive than NGC 6231.. If I remembered that correctly .

There's a wonderful place my wife and I enjoy visiting .  It's located at 36.0408188 N  111.8264464W . Some folks call it the Grand Canyon.. .

Just saying ..

Jon

• airbleeder, DC Lover and Astroman007 like this

#45 LasVegasMikey

LasVegasMikey

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:36 AM

Dave Mitsky

It wasn’t exactly the Deer Lick group but I really enjoyed finding and researching Caroline’s Rose. Although, I’ll freely admit that I found the actual cluster to be underwhelming. The experience that I continue to treasure was the rabbit hole that developed when I began reading about Caroline Herschel. Prior to researching that target, I hadn’t been aware of the contributions she made to her famous brother’s work nor the fact that she was an incredible astronomer in her own right. If not for that name, I would have probably missed that link with history.

I’ll even occasionally pause to think about Johann Bayer when I look at a double star that is only identified by one of his ‘names’. I don’t know where knowledge leaves off and trivia picks up but thank god for Wikipedia and the Cloudy Nights forum. They add another dimension to my night sky. 

BTW, a qualified person should update the Deer Lick page on Wikipedia, Their article could use a sentence or two about the origins of its name. wink.gif

Edited by LasVegasMikey, 23 January 2019 - 06:55 AM.

• Jon Isaacs and Araguaia like this

#46 Jim4321

Jim4321

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:55 AM

My own name for M51 is the Washing Machine Galaxy.  I dislike Whirlpool, since a friend had very bad service from the brand..... (tongue firmly in cheek).

Jim H.

• Jon Isaacs, BFaucett, M57Guy and 3 others like this

#47 ascii

ascii

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:31 AM

My own name for M51 is the Washing Machine Galaxy.  I dislike Whirlpool, since a friend had very bad service from the brand..... (tongue firmly in cheek).

Jim H.

Careful now!  Don't go giving the IAU the idea of corporate sponsorship of astronomical names.  I can see it  now, the Maytag nebula and the STP Cluster.  Almond Joy wanting their own galaxy since Milky Way already got theirs for free.

• Jon Isaacs, BFaucett, Jim4321 and 2 others like this

#48 tchandler

tchandler

Vanguard

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:23 AM

In spite of what Shakespeare wrote about what’s in a name, it's true that the first step to caring about something is to give it a name. 

Even giving the right name to the things that we might be afraid of can somehow rob them of their power over us. Many years ago I had a malignant tumour. I named it Tim. It’s hard to be afraid of anything named Tim.

#49 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:56 AM

Careful now!  Don't go giving the IAU the idea of corporate sponsorship of astronomical names.  I can see it  now, the Maytag nebula and the STP Cluster.  Almond Joy wanting their own galaxy since Milky Way already got theirs for free.

Isn't Almond Joy made by Mars?

#50 ascii

ascii

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

Isn't Almond Joy made by Mars?

According to Wikipedia Almond Joy is made by Hershey's, and Milky Way is made by Mars.

More unfairness – they got a planet and a galaxy for free!  4.gif

• BFaucett likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics