•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is the best collimator for the money?

collimation Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:14 PM

The Hotech 2" is a marvel of accuracy and ease of use. I verified it was collimated, then collimated the scope in about five minutes.  Pricey but it costs a lot less than many eyepieces touted on these very boards.

After setting everything I removed the Hotech, rotated it 180 and rechecked... spot on. did this test several times. My focuser is precise, that may be why it works so well.

If you get a bad one send it back.

+1

• emflocater likes this

#27 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

I thought the best for the money was a star?

Chris

#28 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:28 PM

I thought the best for the money was a star?

Chris

It is. Known as the Hubble Optics 5-Star Artificial Star

Cheers

Don

#29 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Apollo

• Loc: SW Idaho, USA

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:57 PM

Lots of ways to collimate. The person's skill level is the most variable factor that I've seen. Lots of bad secondaries out there too. The sight tube/cheshire combo puts it all together correctly.

Here's the DIY el cheapo method: You can make a sight tube from 1-1/4 inch sink tailpiece from Home Depot or Lowe's. Use an old 35mm film canister top with a hole centered in it for a collimation cap, especially if you line the underside with white reflective material. You can even get some nylon thread and make cross-hairs for the tube if you want.

Me? I have a Ho-Tech, cheshire, sight tube, dedicated barlow, and collimation caps. I'm picky about collimation... Just not rich enough for the Glatter... yet. BTW, I gave my Orion laser away a long time ago.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics