•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is the best collimator for the money?

collimation Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:51 AM

Simple thin beam lasers like this are best for aligning the secondary mirror tilt (focuser axis), and if your scope is f/6 or slower, the return beam can be used for primary mirror tilt alignment. At f/5 (or faster), you'll get a better primary mirror alignment with a simple collimation cap (which is relatively insensitive to residual tilt errors in the focuser/adapter/laser). And if you have the simple thin beam laser and the collimation cap, you can do a pretty good job getting the secondary mirror placement sorted (see Jason's procedure here  https://www.cloudyni...ment/?p=5260727

:waytogo:

Vic's friend Nils Olof Carlin's Barlowed Laser is another option for aligning the primary.  It has the same advantages as the collimation cap but can be easier to read.  I used it for a number of years with my 12.5 inch F/4.06.  When I did get a Tubeblug, it was certainly easier than the Barlowed laser but both were in agreement.

http://www.micosmos....lowed_Laser.pdf

Jon

• Vic Menard likes this

#52 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:20 AM

One benefit of the collimation cap over the Barlowed laser is that the collimation cap allows the user to actually see the secondary mirror placement (especially when combined with a simple thin beam laser). This, of course, is the reason so many beginners are confused when the laser alignment and the collimation cap alignment don't exactly agree...

#53 whizbang

whizbang

Ranger 4

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:08 AM

I got an American made Orion Cheshire on the CN Classifieds for $20.

Best collimator for the money IMHO.

#54 marcdm

marcdm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:23 PM

Not the most sophisticated and time will tell if it is effective but here is my answer for a homemade collimation cap.  No film canisters available.  I cruised our local hardware store for a solution and came across a the threaded knob shown below.  It's base is 1.25 inches and the aperture through the threads is about 5mm.  I glued a tight fitting bearing to give me a sight tube but I also thought of filling the cavity with epoxy and drilling a narrower sighting hole.  The goal was to find something as ready made as possible.  Got to blow out that dust!    

Marc

P1040592.JPG

P1040589.JPG

#55 marcdm

marcdm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:31 PM

Here is a view from the top of the hardware store collimator.  Marc

P1040594.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collimation, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics