•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

4K Video of lunar meteorite impact!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 darthwyll

darthwyll

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

I was able to film most of the eclipse and got extremely lucky to capture the meteorite impact! Video below!

I noted impact time as 10:41pm central. 

https://youtu.be/42d1jSTSfWI

• Dave Mitsky, rustynpp, John Miele and 30 others like this

#2 f430

f430

Ranger 4

• Loc: La Mesa, CA.

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

Was mostly clouded over here.

Cool catch!!!!

• darthwyll likes this

#3 darthwyll

darthwyll

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

Was mostly clouded over here.

Cool catch!!!!

I hate to hear that. But thank ya! I've always wanted to catch one of these. It's unreal I finally got one!

#4 petert913

petert913

Vanguard

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

Awesome !

• darthwyll likes this

#5 philipdehazya

philipdehazya

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

Double awesome!

• darthwyll likes this

#6 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

Nice job!  I haven't looked into this much yet, but is your recorded time of impact in accord with the other reports out there?  Cool stuff.  

• darthwyll and Codbear like this

#7 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

Wow. That is totally cool. Amazing.

• darthwyll likes this

#8 Earthbound1

Earthbound1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Gordo, Alabama

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

Nice!!!
  • darthwyll likes this

#9 EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Faribault, MN

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:17 PM

Nice catch!  That is really cool.  Thanks for sharing.

• darthwyll likes this

#10 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:17 PM

Nice job!  I haven't looked into this much yet, but is your recorded time of impact in accord with the other reports out there?  Cool stuff.  

Just googled it and multiple video sources corroborated a light flash, consistent with a lunar impact, at 11:41 EST, which is completely consistent with the Poster's 10:41 CST.

• Joe F Gafford, darthwyll and Earthbound1 like this

#11 zohsix

zohsix

Mariner 2

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:38 PM

Silly question, why is there a light flash?  Is there enough of an atmosphere to cause a meteorite to burn up on entry?

Regards,

Dan 

• darthwyll likes this

#12 darthwyll

darthwyll

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

I think so. When I started this particular video I noted the time and then added the seconds of playback. I could be off by a second or so but that should be close? Kinda a happy accident. 

Edited by darthwyll, 22 January 2019 - 05:39 PM.

#13 darthwyll

darthwyll

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:43 PM

Silly question, why is there a light flash?  Is there enough of an atmosphere to cause a meteorite to burn up on entry?

Regards,

Dan 

From what I understand the flash is caused by the sudden release of kinetic energy at the moment of impact. I think of it like when metal hits metal at high rates of speed it can cause sparks. I would think if a car shaped object hit the moon going 80,000 miles per hour it would make a pretty gnarly flash. There is no lunar atmosphere so what we are seeing is the rock being vaporized instantaneously. But I'm no impact expert. Just an amateur astronomer. smile.gif

Edited by darthwyll, 22 January 2019 - 05:44 PM.

• Codbear, zohsix and Conaxian like this

#14 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:43 PM

Silly question, why is there a light flash? Is there enough of an atmosphere to cause a meteorite to burn up on entry?

Regards,

Dan

That flash is the meteor hitting the surface of the moon. No atmosphere there.
  • darthwyll, zohsix and Earthbound1 like this

#15 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:03 PM

Fantastic! But, the only thing that doesn't compute... How could a meteoroid possibly penetrate the earth's shadow to arrive at the surface of the moon? IMPOSSIBLE, I say! It would have to bounce off the shadow, careening off into intergalactic space. Unless... UNLESS... Maybe this proves that the earth’s shadow has little holes in it. Therefore, the earth is made of Swiss Cheese. I rest my case.  Tom

• doctordub, darthwyll, Codbear and 3 others like this

#16 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

From what I understand the flash is caused by the sudden release of kinetic energy at the moment of impact. I think of it like when metal hits metal at high rates of speed it can cause sparks. I would think if a car shaped object hit the moon going 80,000 miles per hour it would make a pretty gnarly flash. There is no lunar atmosphere so what we are seeing is the rock being vaporized instantaneously. But I'm no impact expert. Just an amateur astronomer. smile.gif

Pretty much spot-on. At 20 miles per second, with a deceleration to zero in the span of a few feet to meters it is a HUGE amount of kinetic energy turning to thermal energy almost instantaneously, resulting in the white flash. The dinosaurs saw just a bit brighter flash than that 65 million years ago!

• darthwyll, zohsix and Earthbound1 like this

#17 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:54 PM

I guess a cool project would be to build a dedicated/automated lunar tracking telescope/camera that would just run video on Luna whenever conditions permit. And software to sift for "change events", flag them. Then one would just scrutinize those few (?) to see if any look like point-impact flashes. A fairly modest telescope in dome could do that.

Actually, I assume some professionals and amateurs may be already doing that?    Tom

• darthwyll likes this

#18 Tyson M

Tyson M

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:09 PM

Awesome catch! 

• darthwyll likes this

#19 goodricke1

goodricke1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:24 AM

I guess a cool project would be to build a dedicated/automated lunar tracking telescope/camera that would just run video on Luna whenever conditions permit. And software to sift for "change events", flag them. Then one would just scrutinize those few (?) to see if any look like point-impact flashes. A fairly modest telescope in dome could do that.

Actually, I assume some professionals and amateurs may be already doing that?    Tom

Yes, indeed they are -

https://www.research...Analysis-System

• darthwyll likes this

#20 Ishtim

Ishtim

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N. Alabama, USA

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:09 AM

They have, since 2006...
https://www.nasa.gov...unar/index.html

...and actually more common occurrence than one may think. 
https://www.nasa.gov...ar_impacts.html

Edited by Ishtim, 23 January 2019 - 08:12 AM.

• darthwyll likes this

#21 RomanHujer

RomanHujer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:36 AM

My raw video  from Sony camera of Impact on the Moon during the Jan.21 2019  lunar eclipse

See 6-7 sec in this video :

https://youtu.be/tQOXB2NwjWQ

or 

https://vimeo.com/312835585

The locality: Jistebsko near Jablonec nad Nisou, Czech Republic
Camera: Sony ILCE-5100 and Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5,6 LD

Lunar eclipse gallery : https://www.zonerama...r/Album/5049366

Roman 

• Dave Mitsky, darthwyll, goodricke1 and 1 other like this

#22 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

They have, since 2006...
https://www.nasa.gov...unar/index.html

...and actually more common occurrence than one may think. 
https://www.nasa.gov...ar_impacts.html

Thanks! And, yes... We were building "point event" cameras for that kinda stuff at work, several decades ago!

Closely related: High-Speed Spectrophotometry and Beat-Frequency Radiometry. I've configured my telescope for the later.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 34 60 chopper.jpg

• Earthbound1 likes this

#23 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

It was probably too small a meteorite to detect the site of impact, but I tried anyway as I performed a whole moon mosaic just after the whole eclipse ended.  Seeing was actually quite poor, so resolution is not great (probably best crater resolves were in the 3 to 4 km range with the flat lighting).  In any case, I overlaid a video frame of the impact over my mosaic, and then also performed an overlay at the same image scale as my scope with LRO data which is much clearer, but I wanted to see if I could detect any change.  I didn't detect anything, but it would be interesting to see if it were possible with a larger scope under much better lighting and seeing conditions would be able to.  I'll post what I have to see if anyone will find it useful to see if they can detect a new crater.

The image below is the whole moon with an overlay of the video image where the flash from the impact is noted somewhere close between Legrange H and Legrange C.

General-Impact-Location.jpg

Here is the closeup of my image taken shortly after (obviously on the left), and then a section of LRO imagery on the right.  The flash is seen as a white overlay in both images.  I certainly didn't detect anything with my equipment, but hopefully it is possible someone else might be able to.

Impact-Comparison.jpg

• Dave Mitsky, Joe F Gafford, darthwyll and 1 other like this

#24 Jayem

Jayem

Author: Craters of the Nearside Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:10 PM

Nice catch, darthwyll...and congrats waytogo.gif

Like Aeroman4907 above, I too did some overlaying, and arrived at his estimate of somewhere between Lagrange H and C (below is an overhead view).

click for larger view

EclipseImpact1

EclipseImpact

John Moore

Edited by Jayem, 23 January 2019 - 05:22 PM.

• darthwyll and aeroman4907 like this

#25 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:11 PM

Cool stuff.  As far as detecting evidence of the impact crater from Earth, you can forget about it!  Most impactors range in size from a grain of sand to a small pebble, and according to NASA, even an impactor of about 5kg (fairly large by these standards) would "only" generate  a crater of about 9m in diameter.  LRO has detected some evidence of new impact craters, but from Earth all we get is the light flash.  Very cool that so many people managed to image the same event.  Not too surprising when you consider the popularity of a lunar eclipse, and the fact that it represents a good time to detect the flashes.  

Edited by Tom Glenn, 23 January 2019 - 06:12 PM.

• darthwyll likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics