•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need advice about brands/lines of eyepieces

beginner eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 25585

Aurora

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

Vixen LVWs, if you can find any as they are discontinued, beat Hyperions. The Vixens all have 20mm eye relief and are very comfortable to use. https://www.cloudyni...aader-hyperion/

I have LVWs and Morpheus, both are great value. If you can find a 22mm LVW, its the best of that range.

• SteveG and Cisco Kid like this

#27 Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

How much astigmatisms do you have in your observing eye?

That will tell us which eyepieces require correction by your glasses or a Dyoptrx lense.

For exemple, personaly at 0.75, I only need it if the exit pupil is at least 3mm (a 30mm eyepiece in my f10 sct or a 27mm eyepiece in your f9 refractor).

The reference to figure out if correction is needed is there:
http://www.televue.c...=54&Tab=_Choose

You’ll probably see that at least half of your eyepieces can be used without glasses which will leave you with more choice for those.

That was great learning for me, Axel. I have a cylinder of 2.5 in my dominant eye, which means that approximately 9mm is the cut-off for eyepiece focal length in my telescope, if I understand it correctly (my telescope is a f/9). That is very good to know.

#28 Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

Yeah, I've read good things about that mount with the 100 mm f/9.

I am a bit puzzled by your experience with the 5 mm eyepiece. If your astigmatism is strong, it might not work well without your glasses.  With glasses on, your eye may be far enough back that you just lose field of view.  That shouldn't cause blurriness.  

Was the blurriness like an out of focus view, or was it dancing around as if you were looking through running water?  The former should be fixable by just turning the focus knobs.  If it's the latter, that's just bad seeing because of atmospheric turbulence.  There's nothing you can do to help that except wait for better seeing conditions to come along, or go to another location with better seeing.  Looking over rooftops or hot pavement can cause bad highly localized seeing.

I struggle to get it in focus, Sid. Not using glasses on this one, but the sweet spot in which I can see the image is so shallow that it leaves me exhausted within just a few minutes of using it. It's very uncomfortable to use for me, and that's why I have comfort as a key criterion for my future purchases.

• 25585 likes this

#29 Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:47 PM

I think you can but doubt it would be easy. As I understand, roughly speaking, the Dioptrix is your prescription glasses or so attached to an eyepiece therefore to share the view with non-glasswearers you should remove it. Read more about the DIOPTRX and How to Choose DIOPTRX™ Models and google threads like this. Dioptrix will fit not every eyepiece.

Thanks for the links, Vlad. I'm doing it now. I like your name, by the way...

• CeleNoptic likes this

#30 Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:57 PM

+1 waytogo.gif   I don't know why these have fallen so far out of favor lately. shrug.gif

On your budget the Hyperions make an excellent choice.  They are lightweight, offer great eye relief (20mm) for eyeglass wearers (except my 24mm is only 17mm), and 68-degree views.

I use a 24mm Hyperion with my SW 100ED, even though I own other more expensive eyepieces.  The Hyperion is just a bit more comfortable for me to use than a Televue Panoptic.  And if you want to get creative with your focal lengths, you can buy some Fine Tuning Rings for the Hyperions to tinker with the focal length.  These work on all of them except for the 24mm.

If the 5mm is not useable with your scope, it could be due to the sky conditions, tight eye relief, or the fact that the eyepieces that Sky Watcher ships with their scopes are not very good.

Cheers,

Ron

Ron, I just read the manual for the Hyperions and like the way they work. They seem to offer a lot of flexibility. And the reviews on this line are good for slower scopes, which mine is. But will the use of rings and removal of the first lens set interfere with field of view and eye relief? The manual isn't clear about this.

• RAKing likes this

#31 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:09 PM

Ron, I just read the manual for the Hyperions and like the way they work. They seem to offer a lot of flexibility. And the reviews on this line are good for slower scopes, which mine is. But will the use of rings and removal of the first lens set interfere with field of view and eye relief? The manual isn't clear about this.

No, they don't affect anything.  If you read the chart, you will notice that the FTR shortens the focal length of each eyepiece.  So the 21mm with the FTRs would become a 14mm eyepiece.  And if Baader actually made a 14mm Hyperion, it would look exactly like the 21 with the FTR - basically, shorter focal length eyepieces are physically longer in length in this design.

But to be honest, I wouldn't get wrapped up with the FTR right away.  Try one or two "straight" and see how you like them first.  There is plenty of time for experimentation later on.

I don't know how big your budget is right now, but the Hyperions are on sale for $119.00 each at Agena Astro and that is a great way to get your feet wet.  Personally, I would start out with the 24 and the 10.  Those are two general purpose eyepieces that will get a lot of use in your 100ED and you can go from there.

There is literally a lifetime's worth of things to see with your 4-inch refractor and a few Hyperions.

Cheers,

Ron

• 25585 and Cisco Kid like this

#32 Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:39 AM

Well, thanks to all for your advice. I now know much more than I did before starting this thread. For now I've placed an order for a 13mm Hyperion and for a 5mm Vixen SLV. I'll try these two and later decide how to go about the longer focal lengths. There are a lot of good suggestions here that I will explore when the budget allows. In the meanwhile I'll keep an eye on the classifieds for LVWs, Morpheus, Pentax, and Radians.

• RAKing and 25585 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics