•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounting a Daystar solar scout on an SCT OTA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 descott12

descott12

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:11 PM

I have an Evolution 8 and I would like to mount a Daystar Solar Scout on the OTA so I can use my mount's tracking and remote movement capability. The Daystar comes with a vixen mounting foot and I know I can find a matching bracket for the foot, but how would I attach it to the OTA?

I have found a few adapters with 2 screws that can be attached to the OTA's rim where a finderscope would attach but I think the Daystar is too long and heavy for that. I think attaching it to the OTA with circumferential straps around the OTA would be best. Any thoughts or ideas? I think I have seen this done with larger refracters...just not sure where to get the hardware or what they might even  be called?

Thanks

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:35 PM

What you really need is just the opposite of what you have. Take the Vixen rail off the solar scope. Get a full length Vixen type rail for the top of the SCT scope. Buy the the Losmandy or ADM Vixen clamp on bracket and put it on the solar scope then clamp that on the rail on top of the SCT. Now all that being said a lot depends on what extra screws are on the Evo 8. The problem is the bottom of the OTA is actually the side that sits at 90 degrees and connects to the mount. So the regular top of the OTA is actually mounted on the side away from the mount. You don't want to mount it there. So you need a rail that is specific for mounting on an Evo 8OTA top as you look at the setup. Best guess would be ADM. If no one has that then the double ring setup maybe all you can use.
  • BinoGuy likes this

#3 descott12

descott12

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. That makes alot of sense.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics