•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Taming The Bright Revolution Imager Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mikenoname

mikenoname

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:31 AM

I am going to be bringing my ETX-70 and RI1.2 to a public star party weekend after next in Death Valley and am concerned about the dang blinding screen of the 7" monitor. That sucker is so harsh on dark-adapted eyes!

I know plenty of others on this forum have used their RI's at outreach events so was wondering if anyone has found a way to knock the brightness down to an acceptable level for such things.

I am in the process of creating a 'housing' for it (an old box lined with black felt material):

MonitorBox.jpg

This will help, but I was wondering if there is any kind of 'neutral density' material that can be put over the front of the screen to knock its brightness down without altering colors?

I have sheets of rubylith that I can use, but that means using the camera in black and white which I wouldn't prefer.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

UPDATE: Just poking around on Amazon and found this:

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B003DI9IUO/

Anyone tried anything like that?

Edited by mikenoname, 23 January 2019 - 02:39 AM.

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:55 AM

Going to ask if you are not getting a bit "too serious" well in a way.

Agreed it depends on the screen, if it is "White" background with dark lines then dimming it may be relevant, good practise and information to the attendees.

My thoughts are that outreach = public and that means they a) Don't know, and b) Don't care.

In effect brightish screen at a strar party or club gathering is bad, brightish screen at outreach is no real problem.

One outreach here uses 3 large screen, illuminated by projectors showing the sky amd objects. They literally illuminate the whole area. But it is outreach, it is not observing. At an observing meet you do not (generally) have three 6x4xft screens illuminated by 3 projectors with halogen lamps, but at this outreach it works and works well.

Just make sure, if you decide to live with it as is, that you explain to the people that the set up would be considered unacceptable at a club or star party.

#3 mikenoname

mikenoname

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

It is a public outreach event, but it's at a relatively dark site (there are streetlights a few hundred yards away) so it's a mix of both:

http://lvastronomy.c...lley-star-party

They want screens shielded and anything else that can be done to maintain what dark adaptation the guests can muster. So this is my attempt to do so.

#4 jcj380

jcj380

Apollo

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:17 PM

Privacy screen for a computer monitor?  Mine blacks out visibility above a 45 deg viewing angle or so.  Might not be enough to cut the light coming directly at you though.

Get a big screen sheet (the cling sheet style), cut it in two and rotate the 2 halves like a polarizing filter?

Just a random thought...

#5 mikenoname

mikenoname

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:41 PM

Get a big screen sheet (the cling sheet style), cut it in two and rotate the 2 halves like a polarizing filter?

Not sure what you are referring to here. Can you please explain what a "big-screen sheet" is?

#6 jcj380

jcj380

Apollo

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:31 AM

Sorry, I mean a large plastic privacy screen that clings to the monitor face as opposed to being in a frame that hangs on the monitor.

This is similar to what I have in my office:

https://www.amazon.c... screen 27 inch

There are probably less expensive ones available.  Don't know how well that would work though.

Edited by jcj380, 26 January 2019 - 09:33 AM.

#7 mikenoname

mikenoname

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:24 PM

Ah, now I see where you are going. The polarization is an interesting thought as it would keep stray light from leaving at an angle. But I doubt it would deal with the brightness straight on. But something to keep in mind.

I have ordered a sheet of the neutral density film that I linked above and have fashioned a mockup screen frame that slips over the face of the little 7 inch monitor. So when it arrives I will give it a try and report back (just for completeness because I doubt anyone is terribly interested).

Edited by mikenoname, 26 January 2019 - 06:27 PM.

#8 mikenoname

mikenoname

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:42 PM

Reporting back after a few uses of the DIY glare screen. It works great! I cut several screen-sized pieces out of the 2'x2' sheet that was sent and found that 3-6 thicknesses is about right, depending on ambient light levels. And while it does dull the colorfulness a small amount, it cuts the light glare a lot.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics