•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need advice about a mount for AP under $1k

tripod mount equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 zxx

zxx

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:40 PM

This is a very interesting and useful post.  You are using the mount with a very conservative load, a very conservative focal length and very precise polar alignment.  This is done on purpose, because you understand the limitations of the mount, as indicated by your last sentence.  And you are having success and enjoying yourself.  You are doing everything right;-) this approach is a good one for a beginner with ANY mount in ANY price range.  I think it is fair to say thatMOST people‚Äôs concern with the AVX, is that many folks new to the hobby either start with,  or very soon after the purchase, move to a payload/ focal length that challenges the mount.  That really is not the fault of the mount.  The biggest challenge to a beginner is unrealistic expectations, that lead to frustration.  Avoiding that is what leads folks to recommend larger, more expensive gear.  The flip side is that you can have a lot of fun and success with more economical gear,  as long as you understand the limitations, and use it accordingly.  I have had fun imaging with a used CG 4 and a battery driven clock drive.  All about understanding the mount and how you use it.  

Cheers! 

Jmd

Could not agree more. I believe a lot of folks are led to believe they need to spend $1000+ on a mount. I see many new people here on the forum that believe that and decide this hobby cost more then they want to spend. not everyone is looking at this hobby that seriously. some of us just want to play around with our DSLR . I also have the CG-4, added a guide port to the drive kit HC and got great results. Like you said, it's all about understanding the limitations of the mount. Here is an image I did as a beginner with the CG-4. 4 min lights RMS under 1.00 SW ED80 . I can honestly say my CG-4 performs just as well as my CGEM DX as long as you stay within it's limitations .

aaase-2-2.jpg

#77 denny-o

denny-o

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hemlock, mi

Posted 28 July 2019 - 02:42 PM

Celestron DX asking 700 (a bit high) just posted on classifieds.

#78 Tothemoonalice

Tothemoonalice

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:46 AM

You will either get an AVX, or a used mount. That is your choice.  Avx is fine. You are in the game.

#79 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Where the stars at night are big and bright...

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:58 AM

As others have mentioned, you can get started in AP with just about any mount. But your results will be directly proportional to the quality of the gear you use and how you use it.  You aren't going to get good results shooting 5 min exposures with a 8" sct on an EQ3.  Folks have gotten decent images with a dslr on a barn door tracker you can make for less than $50.  It's all about your expectations.  Take a look at Astrobin and look at the images similar to what you want to take and then look over the equipment the imagers used to give you an idea of what can be achieved with that equipment.

• mikefulb likes this

#80 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:48 PM

I did not read any of the above replies, so I am not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, but I figure I should add that no GOTO mounts from Meade or Explore Scientific support alignment to Solar-System objects.  Only Sky-Watcher, Celestron, Orion, and iOptron support this.  If you ever would like to use this mount for tracking Mercury in the daytime (a dangerous task) you will need to be able to align the telescope to Sol (with a Solar filter) and then GOTO Mercury.  This would be very difficult to do with a Meade or Explore Scientific GOTO mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tripod, mount, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics