•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Picking my first mount

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

For a first AP mount I think the EQ6R and CEM45 seem good options in that price range. I personally started with a Celestron AVX and recently moved to the Losmandy G11G (with the Gemini system). Maybe it’s just me but I don’t get any of the negative vibe from my Losmandy - the first time I set it up it was head and shoulders above any other mount I had used including some pier-mounted versions of higher end Celestron mounts. I think that any mount will be challenging as a leaner for AP because AP is more complex and exacting than visual astronomy (which in itself is not easy as hobbies go). All of my initial frustrations with the AVX were entirely me, not the mount - learning the process and techniques. Once I got the process down, only then could I bump up against the limitations of the mount. So get the best mount you can afford and be prepared for some frustrating nights followed by rewarding ones.

PS. I have never used an iOptron mount but at our last astronomy club meeting a member brought his new CEM60 and it looked very nice and solid to me. He had nothing but good things to say about it. So, some guy in Kentucky likes it, so what else do you need right?

• ArkabPriorSol likes this

#27 nimitz69

nimitz69

Apollo

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

You mentioned a back issue. If you have one, don't buy the EQ6R-Pro. I've seen young men grimace and curse trying to handle this. 

The iOptron iEQ45 is a very decent alternative if your budget can't stretch higher. 

Really?     using the built in carry handle I carry my EQ6-R from my Astro room to my backyard with one hand .... its only 32 lbs and i’m About to turn 60 .... and no,,,, I’m not some ex Olympic power lifter .... I  used to have the CGEM II .... quite a different story there .... carrying that bad boy around would make anyone cry .....

Edited by nimitz69, 28 January 2019 - 06:48 PM.

#28 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:30 PM

Hms endeavor, you might want to consider the Orion Azeq pro  . I have had it for over 3 years now and absolutely am happy with it. Rated at 44 lbs.  The slews are whisper quiet . Plus you can

use it with a Shoestring cable directly to the computer. Check out the Orion Telescopes website. Located in California. I'm sure they ship to Toronto.

Mike

Edited by elmiko, 29 January 2019 - 08:27 AM.

#29 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

Our sponsors Astronomics has the SW eq6 pro in stock .

#30 Erik30

Erik30

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, MN

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:28 PM

https://www.astronom...cope-mount.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics