•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astronomical Alignment of Megalithic Structures

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

Lately i've been into watching Ancient Architects on Youtube as well as other channels like Bright Insight and others that talk of pieces of archaeology and discoveries that are not frequently spoken about in schools. Individuals such as Graham Hancock and Charles Kos are also some folks I find interesting. Some of the ideas speak of ancient civilizations such as Atlantis, pre-dynastic Egypt, etc. Another topic frequently discussed is the astronomical alignment of megalithic structures such as the Pyramids..not just in Egypt but also in Central America, etc. 

I've recently been told about a book called the Egypt Code by Robert Bauval and i'm thinking of reading it as well. 

What does everyone think about this subject. Ancient Architects recently ran a two part series on the Giza Plateau and the builders aligning the megaliths to Orion, Ursa Major and Leo with the pyramids being the three stars in Orion's Belt and the Sphinx looking toward Leo. It was super interesting and relevant to the topic of astronomy

Part 1-The Lost Ancient Egyptian Observatory of Letopolis: https://youtu.be/ZD6htKCqWPg

Part 2- The Great Temple of Heliopolis & the Pyramids of Egypt: https://youtu.be/wyMxo7kQfoU

Jon

• PirateMike and Astroman007 like this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

People were certainly smart enough to align stuff to the stars and planets thousands of years ago. The books and TV shows tend to gloss right over complications like precession of the earth. Claims that structures are otherwise coordinated to each other (globally) or form some sorta electromagnetic power grid... actualized by friendly space-aliens... Most of their experts seem big on the anecdote and thin on the science. They splash about words like "quantum" and "relativity" quite freely.

It's fun to read and watch, though!    Tom

• Spacefreak1974 likes this

#3 PirateMike

PirateMike

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

I love this subject, anything from ancient times really catches my attention. But one needs to be able to sift the probable from the impossible, it's all fun and interesting either way.

I will certainly check out those Youtube videos.

Miguel   8-)

• Spacefreak1974 likes this

#4 sg6

sg6

Skylab

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

I have an odd doubt about one or two of the claims, more relevantly the detail.

Here they say Stonehenge is for the Solstice and that I doubt.

Reason is that the sun does not stop going West on the Summer Solstice. We consider the Winter solstice as the longest "night" or "shortest" day - which they are, but the movement of the sun doesn't stop that day and reverse.

But what happens is that the "day" starts say 2 minutes earlier, but the equally starts 1 minute earlier for a few days. The difference is a bit more "day" but that cannot be determined from the setting, or rising, sun. Neolithic man didn't have a quartz watch to make measurements with.

So I would say that the structures are more related to the most extreme position of the sun, which is not necessarily the solstice(s).

I guess that we have superimposed our knowledge/idea over what I suspectt was the original situation. Farmers at the time these were built would want to know the day the sun was at the most extreme position and so would mark the change of the year. The 2 situations are just a few days apart but to my thinking we have "corrupted" the original purpose.

May be wrong but I think, here at least, the day the suns stops and turns back is Mid-Summers day and Mid-Winters day respectively.

I recall on one of the Brian Cox programs he talked of the sun reaching some western marker then turning back and he said Solstice but he should have known the 2 are different. Maybe they producers think we cannot handle reality, so carry on the belief.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics