•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EDGEHD - Cleaning internal flattener

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Churmey

Churmey

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

Hi everyone.  I believe that I have some significant dust that has decided to settle on my internal flattener of my Edge series SCT (see attached illustration).   I'm curious if anyone has cleaned this element before, and if so, what was your approach in doing so? Thank you in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• CEDGE8F.jpg

#2 2Barrel

2Barrel

Vostok 1

• Loc: Haddon Twp. New Jersey

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:19 AM

I've always wondered about this myself.
Mine don't need cleaning yet but I'm sure the time will come.
Hopefully somebody will have an answer.
  • Churmey likes this

#3 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:38 AM

Depends on which EdgeHD scope you have. Take a look at the Celestron White Paper. The lens is near the end of the baffle tube on the 9.25" and 14" and easy to clean there. On the 8" an 11" it is deep inside the baffle tube and the best you can do, I think, is to point the rear of the scope down and use a bulb blower.

Mike

• Churmey likes this

#4 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

Tell me what size scope you have and send me a PM and I'll tell you how to do it.

John

• Churmey likes this

#5 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:31 PM

Tell me what size scope you have and send me a PM and I'll tell you how to do it.

John

Maybe share with the rest of the class too? EdgeHD 8.

Chris

Edited by Cfreerksen, 24 January 2019 - 08:40 PM.

• 2Barrel likes this

#6 Luna-tic

Luna-tic

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Foothills North Carolina

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:14 PM

I'm curious to know how dust gets there in the first place, unless you leave the tube open and pointed down. Mine is clean as new and I use it a lot. I just never leave the rear cell open any longer than it takes to insert a diagonal, attach the FR or just cap the opening.

I noticed that one of my daughters' makeup brushes was extremely soft, so I bought one like it and use it to gently flick dust off the corrector, as well as my EP's.

#7 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:21 AM

Hi everyone.  I believe that I have some significant dust that has decided to settle on my internal flattener of my Edge series SCT (see attached illustration).   I'm curious if anyone has cleaned this element before, and if so, what was your approach in doing so? Thank you in advance!

What is "significant" dust?

Honestly, the tube is not air-tight...there will always be a little dust. Save yourself some time and trouble and don't worry about it. Your images will not be affected.

• stevew and jhayes_tucson like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics