•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Controlling EQ-5/6 mounts using BTDir and Sky Safari on Android

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Where the stars at night are big and bright...

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

At one time, there was an app called Virtuoso Telescope Control which simulated the mount's handset and allowed Sky Safari on your phone/tablet to connect directly to SkyWatcher compatible mounts using a shoestring BTdir module without needing the hand control.  This app appeared to "listen" to Sky Safari's wifi communication and redirect it through the phone/tablet's bluetooth which is paired to the BTdir module on the mount.  The app appears to no longer be in development as the last update to it was almost 4 years ago, is no longer on google play, and while I was able to find an APK for it, the app crashes immediately upon launching it on both my Samsung S7 phone and LG tablet.  Now I know that I could get a SkyFi, but I'd rather not lose my phone/tablets's wifi connection for a direct link and I don't want to go through a router either, and the SkyBT requires going through the handset which I'm trying to eliminate.  Seems like something like this would be popular, ditch the handset for your phone/tablet, but I guess not.  Does anyone know of anything else which might do a similar thing?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics