•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX 200 classic 12 inch declination motor stolen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gatekeeper2031

Gatekeeper2031

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:47 PM

Question for Meade LX 200   Classic users.   I have a LX200 12” classic built in 1999.  It’s40° outside telescope set up for a hour.  when Declamation motor  turns right it sounds like a old car starting however when it goes left it sounds like normal .  When I first set up from coming in doors it sounds normal until it gets cold .  I’ve  read opinions from  grease freezing up in gears to Grease on the photocells many opinions out there .

Hoping someone has advice other than get a new telescope

As I would love to but don’t have the money thanks for your input

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Vanguard

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:09 PM

DEC motor 'stolen' or not working? 

If it works in one direction when cold but not the other the gears and/or motor mesh spacing may need adjustment.  Also the plastic gears may have worm down and need replacing.

Open up the DEC drive and see if you can adjust the gears and motor.

Edited by Jim Waters, 23 January 2019 - 01:11 PM.

#3 Stan Lopata

Stan Lopata

Vostok 1

• Loc: Utica, NY area

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

My advise is to title your topic correctly.  I see nothing about your dec motor being stolen.

• Traveler and Jim Waters like this

#4 John Rogers

John Rogers

Mariner 2

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:31 PM

I have the same telescope that had a similar problem.  I wasn't sure if it was the motor or the electronics controlling it.  At the time I did some research and discovered the LX200 Autostar upgrade kit from George Dudash:  https://groups.yahoo...00Autostar/info

Part of his services include checking out and tuning the RA and Dec motors.  It was very easy to remove both motors and send them to him.  He reported that the Dec motor was frozen and had to be replaced.  He had the replacement motor at a reasonable price.

Bottom line is that I upgraded to the Audiostar controller and have not looked back.  It has so many features that brings new life to observing that I highly recommend it.

However, if you don't want to go with the upgrade, perhaps you can contact him and he can check out your motor for a nominal fee.

• George D likes this

#5 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Astro-Hell

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:03 AM

It's really hard to tell what is happening. The gears in the reduction box cannot be adjusted, and the worm is spring loaded. If you only notice it when cold then yes, I suspect it could be the grease getting thick. If you are handy, it's easy to clean off the factory grease and re-lube the worm and main gear. The gears in the reduction box of the motors are nylon and don't need any lube. The dec gear is the easiest to do. Just put the tube at its lowest point - at it's lower stop and unthread the dec lock knob. I don't remember is the 12" has a physical stop so you may need to lay a folded towel between the forks for the tube to rest against. Then remove the three small screws holding on the cover on and remove the cover. You can then clean and relube the gear without removing the scope from the tipod.

If you want to see what's happening, you can leave the cover off and put the knob back in place and run the drive. 

One important thing is when the knob and cover are off it is possible for the main gear to be removed from the clutch assembly and its VERY easy to lose the little spring that holds the worm against the gear.

Did this problem just start recently?

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:42 AM

...perhaps the OP meant "stalling"..?!? confused1.gif wink.gif

#7 decep

decep

Explorer 1

• Loc: Griffin, Georgia

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:01 PM

Autocorrect on mobile might have corrected "sticky" or "stuck"

Edited by decep, 26 January 2019 - 03:03 PM.

#8 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:00 AM

OP hasn’t returned...

#9 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Vanguard

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:16 AM

Maybe the Gray's got him...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics