•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200 focus control bumping noise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 highkamp

highkamp

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:27 PM

I recently added the Peterson Eng. EZ focus upgrade to my LX200 GPS 12 inch to try to make the focus easier to turn.  The focus is still hard to turn and I hear a thumping noise as I turn it. Before doing the upgrade, I had tried to run the focus all the way in and out to try to redistribute the grease too but that did not seem to help.  I performed the mirror lock repair (from Peterson Eng. website) but that did not change anything.  I think the baffle grease has become old and waxey and may be contributing to the friction, but that should not account for the bumping noise when turning the focuser.  

Thanks Bruce

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:59 PM

I would remove the focuser and run it through the in and out travel off of the telescope. If you are getting binding running it in-and-out of travel off-scope it might be the focuser planetary set is bad.   

#3 Peterson Engineering

Peterson Engineering

Vendor - Peterson Engineering

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:22 PM

Hi Bruce,

The front page of the photo-illustrated instructions reads "If you have any question regarding the installation procedure, or are in any way dissatisfied with the form, fit, or function of this product please do not hesitate to contact us directly for assistance."  Indeed, when you buy one of our upgrades we stand behind it and you buy the technical support for the product as well.  Truth be told, I appreciate folks calling with a question rather than guessing and mussing things up.

The free mirror lock instructions are repair instructions and not tune-up instructions.  Going through that procedure won't do anything for you but repair the disconnected or jammed mirror lock.

As for the "bump" you're experiencing, please recheck instruction #20.  And if that doesn't fix things call me at 401-245-4068 and we'll get it fixed.

Pete Peterson

• RedLionNJ likes this

#4 highkamp

highkamp

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

Thanks Pete but I was able to fix the issue.  I took off the corrector and was able to free the baffle and redistribute the grease.  I had tried to do this with the corrector still on by pushing and pulling the focuser rod but it took so much effort (had to use all my force and brace against the front of the OTA) to push and pull the rod so I thought something must not be right.  I was able to grab the baffle directly, and move by hand and then everything immediately unbound and the focuser now is smooth as butter!  Your kit was very easy and did make a big difference, but I think the old waxey grease was so bad it was masking the ezfocus upgrades performance.  Thanks again!

Bruce

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics