•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tal Alcor 65mm F7.7 Reflector

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

This must be the newer iteration:

https://www.ebay.com...HIAAOSwqLRcC14R
  • steve t likes this

#27 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:13 PM

This must be the newer iteration:

https://www.ebay.com...HIAAOSwqLRcC14R

Oh, that is so sad to see.  I mean, an EQ mount is good but it's all plastic.  Obviously not built by the same factories that made military hardware prior.

I'm glad I have the classic version.  It will be around a hundred years after the last plastic TAL has gone to the landfill.

• steve t likes this

#28 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:21 PM

Oh, that is so sad to see.  I mean, an EQ mount is good but it's all plastic.  Obviously not built by the same factories that made military hardware prior.

I'm glad I have the classic version.  It will be around a hundred years after the last plastic TAL has gone to the landfill.

Yes, it certainly looks like a cheap toy right down to the printed and colorful pasteboard box.
  • steve t and Chuck Hards like this

#29 Stew44

Stew44

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

They also make a 75mm f/8 (has to be achromat) for the same mount here

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100005.m1851

Interesting, but this is 2.5X the reflector.

#30 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:35 AM

Appearances can be deceiving.

TAL 65

That scope may look like a toy but it certainly is not. The mount is a solid miniature of a genuine mount with all the features you would expect on a full sized version. It is made of aluminum and is very robust. It is beautiful and strange like the Alcor. Here is my video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=KUo9VFTECU8

Check it out for yourself.

- Dave

Edited by Dave Trott, 27 January 2019 - 01:41 AM.

• grendel, steve t, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#31 Stew44

Stew44

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:30 AM

Great comparison Dave!  The new one is really only a table top telescope (like a Questar).  Chuck's add of the third pier section makes a lot of difference for standalone use of the original.  On a stable table the short slomo knobs wouldn't be too bad.  Shame they went with plastic for the EP.  Wonder how the optics in the companion refractor compare?

#32 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:21 AM

Russian telescopes seem to be made to an entirely different standard than what we are used to. Generally they seem to be extremely sturdy but may not have the kind of optical performance we would expect. The Alcor and the TAL 65 are indestructible but the optics seem to be an afterthought. 

• terraclarke and Augustus like this

#33 grendel

grendel

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:19 PM

I dont know, from my experience with this little beastie, the optics are superb.

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#34 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

Russian telescopes seem to be made to an entirely different standard than what we are used to. Generally they seem to be extremely sturdy but may not have the kind of optical performance we would expect. The Alcor and the TAL 65 are indestructible but the optics seem to be an afterthought.

I found the same thing with my two Lomo Maks. Mechanicals were great, heavy and sturdy like a Samsonite suitcase, the the optics were nothing more that the couple of Synta Maks I’ve had. In fact, the only Mak I have ever been really pleased with optically is my Questar.
  • Augustus likes this

#35 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:00 PM

Appearances can be deceiving.

That scope may look like a toy but it certainly is not. The mount is a solid miniature of a genuine mount with all the features you would expect on a full sized version. It is made of aluminum and is very robust. It is beautiful and strange like the Alcor. Here is my video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=KUo9VFTECU8

Check it out for yourself.

- Dave

Like always, enjoyed the video. Especially the fast motion sequences! grin.gif

In regards to that short tripod. It seems like it would be quite awkward even on a table top. How could anybody align it and then sight along the tube to actually use the telescope? 

#36 grendel

grendel

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:29 AM

my little tal is heading out tonight, we have a primary school astronomy presentation, with a viewing session this evening, the little tal is a perfect scope as it is the right height for the little ones, and robust enough to survive even the roughest handling they can give it.

• Steve_M_M, wfj, steve t and 4 others like this

#37 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:38 PM

That should be nice.  Have fun!

Does anyone know a quick and easy way to extend the pier for use with taller people? 

#38 grendel

grendel

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:15 PM

well that was great, over 100 parents and pupils and a great time was had by all, the wooden box is the perfect step for the smaller children, parents had to stoop, a quick and easy solution would be to stand the scope on a table or the box to raise it.

• steve t, terraclarke and jcruse64 like this

#39 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:46 PM

That should be nice.  Have fun!

Does anyone know a quick and easy way to extend the pier for use with taller people? 

Quick and dirty: Maybe you can set it on a turned over Milk Crate, tie it down through the grates, and be careful.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics