•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What Focal Length Eyepiece would you put your money?

cassegrain eyepieces SCT refractor
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

I do have an eclectic mix of eyepieces..

For powers I think I have the bases covered for the most part...

Powers based on F/10 2000FL SCT-considering that and also possibly buying an APM 152mm F/7.9

9mm  68deg Long Perng-Levenhuk ER-20 (220X)  - Planetary and double stars only, moon terminator cruiser...maybe a quick view of Orion at close up

11mm 82deg Explore Scientific (180X) - Planetary, planetary nebulae and most globular clusters, as well as core detail on Globular program(use it with the Astronomical League Globular Program)

14mm 76deg Baader Morpheus (140X) - Nebulae and some more easily seen galaxies. Also a good moon cruiser, also a good one for globulars

22mm 70deg Olivon/Barsta (90X) - This eyepiece is normally my starting point for alignment as well as my primary outreach do-it-all eyepiece.

30mm 82deg Explore Scientific  (67X) - My favorite eyepiece to use. Its a great low power unit. Double Cluster, NGC457 as well as other larger open clusters. Multi-galaxy areas, larger nebulae

So..

I'm looking for suggestions on where I should put my money. Should I put it in the higher power end. i.e. getting another 8-9mm Morpheus/Delos/Other Suggestion or maybe should I focus on the lower power such as a 17-20mm Morpheus/Delos/Other Suggestions? I do wear glasses, but still find 15mm eye relief satisfactory in most cases so i'm ok 15+I think although more is better

For planetary sharpness what is the best option? Should I just sacrifice eye relief and get a Brandon or Takahashi Orthoscopic? Are these a better bet than trying to get an expensive unit for this high a power?

If I had optimal seeing conditions and no light pollution i'd probably go with a 8-9mm, but thinking about covering a wider range of common observations may make more sense to go to the 17-20mm?

Jon

• buddy ny and 25585 like this

#2 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

I haven't looked through a brandon or a tak abbe. I have looked through an 11mm TV Plossl however, which is the closest thing to a "premium minimum glass" eyepiece I have for comparison. I find it hard to believe anything could be demonstrably sharper and more contrasty than that eyepiece. 

And here's the thing: my 11mm Delite seems to keep up with it. The best I've been able to compare the two is in pickering 8 seeing. So maybe pickering 9 and 10 is where the differences would be visible, but the DeLite basically seems to be of the same quality, AND it gives you a wider field of view and 20mm of eye relief. 

I don't think you could go wrong with DeLites for planetary. Delos I'm sure is just as good. My 10mm Delos bested my 10mm Baader Classic Ortho for color rendition, and matched it for sharpness.

• Paul Morow and Spacefreak1974 like this

#3 zohsix

zohsix

Mariner 2

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

I have sets of 12mm and 16mm Brandon's for use in my binoviewer, however, I often use them as a single for planets and the moon and couldn't be happier with the clear, sharp views.  I also use the 12mm with a Brandon 1.8X Barlow for doubles.  So far, I haven't felt the need to try anything different.

Regards,

Dan

#4 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

If you are looking to do planetary viewing, consider buying a quality prism diagonal, along with an eyepiece.  For othos, there are only the BCO and the Takahashi lines. For planetary viewing, consider something in the 8-12.5mm range. For diagonals, I own the Baader 32mm prism, and the Takahashi prism. The Takahashi has the advantage of being aligned out of the box. The BCO 10mm is one of the world's unsung performance champs. The Tak orthos cost a lot more, and offer a narrower field. They perform very well.

• nicoledoula likes this

#5 25585

Gemini

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:22 PM

Duplicate your favourite 1.25" and buy a bino viewer! No OPC needed with SCTs.

#6 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:12 PM

If you are looking to do planetary viewing, consider buying a quality prism diagonal, along with an eyepiece.  For othos, there are only the BCO and the Takahashi lines. For planetary viewing, consider something in the 8-12.5mm range. For diagonals, I own the Baader 32mm prism, and the Takahashi prism. The Takahashi has the advantage of being aligned out of the box. The BCO 10mm is one of the world's unsung performance champs. The Tak orthos cost a lot more, and offer a narrower field. They perform very well.

I hadn’t thought about a prism diagonal. What makes them different than a dialect rig? I have a WO Dilectric currently

#7 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:37 PM

I hadn’t thought about a prism diagonal. What makes them different than a dialect rig? I have a WO Dilectric currently

Prisms offer less scatter than a dielectric. That's a plus for planetary viewing.

#8 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:04 AM

So..

I'm looking for suggestions on where I should put my money. Should I put it in the higher power end. i.e. getting another 8-9mm Morpheus/Delos/Other Suggestion or maybe should I focus on the lower power such as a 17-20mm Morpheus/Delos/Other Suggestions? I do wear glasses, but still find 15mm eye relief satisfactory in most cases so i'm ok 15+I think although more is better

For planetary sharpness what is the best option? Should I just sacrifice eye relief and get a Brandon or Takahashi Orthoscopic? Are these a better bet than trying to get an expensive unit for this high a power?

If I had optimal seeing conditions and no light pollution i'd probably go with a 8-9mm, but thinking about covering a wider range of common observations may make more sense to go to the 17-20mm?

Jon

I would put my money into the eyepiece that that delivered the magnification (or exit pupil) where I spent the most time. Start tracking that and you will have something close to the answer, depending upon the gaps you have in your collection now.

One way to solve the gap dilemma would be a Leica Zoom. Covers 8.9mm to 17.8mm (and lower with a barlow). It eliminates those annoying gaps in coverage you're fretting about.

After three months with the Leica I sold off all of my Delos and XW's. Getting the Leica was the best conventional eyepiece move I have made in 35 years, and I haven't missed the others a single day.

On the planetary front, I really like the Brandons. I have not seen the Tak Orthos, all the owners seem to like them. I am contemplating a binoviewer and my Leica is too large for it. So the eyepieces would be either Brandons or Tak Orthos.

Provided you can see a difference between planetary eyepieces and wide field eyepieces (and not everyone can), the shorter eye relief is something you can become accustomed to with a little discipline. 

#9 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

I would put my money into the eyepiece that that delivered the magnification (or exit pupil) where I spent the most time. Start tracking that and you will have something close to the answer, depending upon the gaps you have in your collection now.

One way to solve the gap dilemma would be a Leica Zoom. Covers 8.9mm to 17.8mm (and lower with a barlow). It eliminates those annoying gaps in coverage you're fretting about.

After three months with the Leica I sold off all of my Delos and XW's. Getting the Leica was the best conventional eyepiece move I have made in 35 years, and I haven't missed the others a single day.

On the planetary front, I really like the Brandons. I have not seen the Tak Orthos, all the owners seem to like them. I am contemplating a binoviewer and my Leica is too large for it. So the eyepieces would be either Brandons or Tak Orthos.

Provided you can see a difference between planetary eyepieces and wide field eyepieces (and not everyone can), the shorter eye relief is something you can become accustomed to with a little discipline. 

I keep hearing orthos are da bomb on planetary and for as little time as we all have for good views of Jupiter and Saturn and the others im less interested in I think i'd sacrifice eye relief for sharpness..heck if its sharper i'll tale my glasses off!

#10 Tank

Tank

Soyuz

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:27 PM

I think your weak part of your lineup is the high mag + 250x

I have same scope 8" F10 2000 FL

On great seeing night i am pushing 333x 6mm and 400x 5mm on Saturn, Jupiter and Moon

so

8mm to 5mm

there is the delos/XW/Morp etc

the 5.5 Meade UWA  is a great one to have

saying this for your possible new scope these FL Eps will work perfect

low end looks like your covered

#11 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

If you like your 14mm Morpheus you will love a 9mm Morpheus.

• 25585 likes this

#12 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

A 2mm Delite if they ever make one.

#13 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

For ER a 24mm Brandon or a 25mm TAO in a TV 3X barlow seems about right. 

#14 buddy ny

buddy ny

Messenger

• Loc: USA N.Carolina

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

Get your self some ER

lf your looking @ the Tak orthos

I'd consider the Tak LE'S especially the 5mm & the 7.5mm

I've had em for decades , there very good

Edited by buddy ny, 30 January 2019 - 07:20 PM.

• StarDust1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cassegrain, eyepieces, SCT, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics