•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Camera for 14" Edge or 14" RC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 browda1

browda1

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

Will the ZWO ASI1600MM Pro work well with either of these scopes?

#2 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:31 PM

As a former owner of a C14 Edge and a current owner of a 14” CDK, I would strongly suggest a camera with a pixel size of at least 5 microns. And that’s if you have excellent seeing. I had very good success with a QSI 683 on my Edge. 

#3 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:31 AM

I would actually recommend a camera with 9 microns at 4000 mm focal length. Even at 9 microns you will have sub arsecond resolution. 

#4 Terry R

Terry R

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:47 AM

The larger the pixels the better when it comes to focal length.

#5 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:56 AM

It all depends on your seeing, your guiding, and how much you care about detail at the scale of the pixels.

And with low enough sensor noise - you can always bin or smooth the result, with minimum impact of the smaller pixels.

I used EdgeHD11 at f/10 and f/7 with ASI1600 and often have fwhm's below 1.5" - which for me is a good match to 0.4" pixels at f/7.

I think the main thing to consider for cmos is the sensor size - not the pixel size.  You could get a much larger ccd with larger pixels but higher read noise - and it would let you make better use of the field available - especially with the EdgeHD.  But if you are mainly interested in small objects - and detail within them - then a smaller sensor with smaller pixels and lower read noise would be a good fit.

Much depends on what you care about - and how tight you can reliably go in fwhm.

Frank

• ks__observer likes this

#6 browda1

browda1

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for the detailed responses, lots to consider.  I am mostly using the scope for small objects and my ED80mm for large objects.

Edited by browda1, 24 January 2019 - 04:28 AM.

#7 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:53 AM

I am using my ASI1600MM-COOL in my Meade 10" ACF SCT, but I am just starting to image with it. I previously had used a Canon 6D when it was mounted on the LX200 mount. The mount was the limiter and not the camera. I deforked it and I have added a feathertouch R/P focuser on the visual back so I can focus with touching the main mirror focus. That pushes the focal length to 2700mm or F/11 and the camera scale jumps up to 0.3"/pixel even with my focal reducer. I am on an EQ-8 mount and I can get round stars with even 10 minute subs. Yes it is over sampled, but the read noise is so low that i can still get very nice image. You dont state what mount you have or how much budget you have so its really hard to judge what would be good recommendations. The nice thing about the ASI1600MM-PRO is that it is such a good value in performance vs. cost. I am planning on trying at 1X1 binning to start since you really dont gain anything with binning on a CMOS camera. I can always downsample the images if I want to with software. For the money, it a great camera. I have two and have used it extensively with my 115mm APO with good results. 

#8 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

You can use just about any camera with any scope, but that doesn't mean you can achieve the full capabilities of either by slapping any old camera on any old scope.  There are many, many factors at play here, but like Charles and Tolga have said the best option would be a camera with 6-9 micron pixel size.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics