•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bloodmoon on film

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

While most who were photographing the recent eclipse with DSLR's or other digital cameras, I only had my old Nikon F3-HP available so I pressed it into service and successfully photographed the eclipsed moon. During totality, I had no idea of what exposure time to use at F/10, so I bracketed and took shots with exposure times up to 60 seconds. I used Fujicolor Xtra 400 speed color print film which was processed at a local lab, then scanned into my computer. The telescope was a 8-inch Celestron EdgeHD on an AVX mount. The results I got were better than I dared hope, I never took long exposure photos through this telescope that succeeded before.

Taras

Attached Thumbnails

• bloodmoon_midtotality6_01_20_2019_small.jpg

Edited by Achernar, 23 January 2019 - 08:17 PM.

• tim53, Adam S, J A VOLK and 17 others like this

#2 Todd N

Todd N

Mariner 2

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:36 PM

Great shot. I admit, I pussed out and image the Blood Red Moon with my DSLR even though I considered film. I regret I didn't use my C8 like you did for that image scale. "Astrophotography for the Amateur" by Michael Covington has exposure tables for such, really useful to have on hand.

Regards,

Todd

#3 GlenM

GlenM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:06 AM

Excellent colour depth.

Glen.

#4 jwheel

jwheel

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

Nice shot!

#5 GaryS

GaryS

SkyNews Editor

• Vendors

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

While most who were photographing the recent eclipse with DSLR's or other digital cameras, I only had my old Nikon F3-HP available so I pressed it into service and successfully photographed the eclipsed moon. During totality, I had no idea of what exposure time to use at F/10, so I bracketed and took shots with exposure times up to 60 seconds. I used Fujicolor Xtra 400 speed color print film which was processed at a local lab, then scanned into my computer. The telescope was a 8-inch Celestron EdgeHD on an AVX mount. The results I got were better than I dared hope, I never took long exposure photos through this telescope that succeeded before.

Taras

Nice shot!

I used Ektar 100 for the eclipse, and like you had to take a WAG on the exposure. I had a decent idea what it *should* be, but not knowing the reciprocity characteristics of Ektar, I wasn't sure how long to go. Luckily, film (even Ektar 100) has tremendous exposure latitude, so the consequences of guessing wrong aren't severe.

Regards,

Gary

#6 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

Nice shot!

I used Ektar 100 for the eclipse, and like you had to take a WAG on the exposure. I had a decent idea what it *should* be, but not knowing the reciprocity characteristics of Ektar, I wasn't sure how long to go. Luckily, film (even Ektar 100) has tremendous exposure latitude, so the consequences of guessing wrong aren't severe.

Regards,

Gary

How did your photos turn our?

Taras

#7 GaryS

GaryS

SkyNews Editor

• Vendors

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:10 PM

How did your photos turn our?

Taras

Good--I'm pleased. (You can see one of my shots on my FilmAdvance.com web site--I probably should have mentioned that.)

I also shot digital and it made for an interesting comparison. Digital is much easier in every way, but that's not to say you can't get good results with film--as your image shows.

Regards,

Gary

#8 telesonic

telesonic

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Idaho - USA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:00 PM

Nicely done Taras!

I was hoping someone here would be using film to capture this event, our forecast was horrible that day - so I didn't even give it a thought. 

Glad to see a shot of it, (and also Gary's) thanks for posting up here. waytogo.gif

T

#9 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:11 PM

I shot some slides, but have not had time to process them.

#10 shiaki_astro

shiaki_astro

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

This is truly a nice shot!

#11 Alen K

Alen K

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:54 PM

Nothing wrong with that one!

#12 canondslr

canondslr

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:25 PM

Very nice and clear image Taras! I was curious what the focal length was for your shot?

I gave the New  35mm Ektachrome a try with an 80mm refractor. Equivalent to a 480mm lens. Now I'm wishing I had used a barlow lens since the moon was quite small in the frame. I definitely plan to use this film some more.

Attached Thumbnails

• EktachromeLunarEclipse2.jpg

• tim53 and Achernar like this

#13 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:43 AM

Very nice and clear image Taras! I was curious what the focal length was for your shot?

I gave the New  35mm Ektachrome a try with an 80mm refractor. Equivalent to a 480mm lens. Now I'm wishing I had used a barlow lens since the moon was quite small in the frame. I definitely plan to use this film some more.

I took mine at prime focus, and because I used an 8-inch SCT without a focal reducer, the focal length was 2,000mm. The moon was about three quarters of an inch across on the film and fit quite nicely on a frame of 35mm film. It looks like your photos turned our very well too.

Taras

Edited by Achernar, 09 March 2019 - 09:12 AM.

#14 canondslr

canondslr

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:02 AM

Nice! That extra focal length worked great! I really like the clairty of your image at 2,000mm.  Now I wish I had used my 4x Barlow. That would have bumped it up to 1920mm. The images I took at 480mm dont hold up nearly as well when enlarged. Great job!

Tom

#15 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:26 PM

Nice! That extra focal length worked great! I really like the clairty of your image at 2,000mm.  Now I wish I had used my 4x Barlow. That would have bumped it up to 1920mm. The images I took at 480mm dont hold up nearly as well when enlarged. Great job!

Tom

You could have done that, but your exposure times would have been very long, especially with film. I must have hit it out of the park on the focus and polar alignment, because I had prints made off the negative for this photo. I could see clearly that the lunar limb is jagged.

Taras

#16 canondslr

canondslr

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

I had forgotten about the lengthy exposure adjustment required with the 4x Barlow lens! With a normal full moon, the increase isn't  a problem, but at full eclipse, 6 seconds could have increased to well over a minute! My current setup would have definitely struggled with such a long exposure at 1920mm. 

Yes, you definitely hit a home run. Nice to have that happen when it counts the most! 

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics