•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2019 Lunar Eclipse Timelapse Video

dslr astrophotography imaging moon
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dredger

Dredger

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

Here is a video of the 2019 lunar eclipse as viewed from North Texas.  Skies were mostly clear with intermittent clouds rolling in and out.  I modified my shutter speed periodically anywhere from 1/500 to 1/4 at a constant ISO 100. 

Camera was a rebel 3Ti at prime focus on a 127mm APO, 910 FL, f=7.5 and using a field flattener/focal reducer 0.70.

Shots were taken every 30 seconds.  Video begins and ends close to umbra phase of the eclipse.  the prenumbra phase wasn't discernable so edited out for brevity.

The center portion of the video was a single 4 s exposure at around maximum umbra.  I experimented between 1s and 25s and found the former too dark, and the later overexposed.

The tracking mount was an Orion Atlas that was polar aligned with a 2-star alignment.  For the most part the moon stayed centered, however towards the end of the eclipse the declination of the moon became more pronounced, as you can see it drift.

https://vimeo.com/313085224

• Starman27, jim kuhns, EricTheCat and 2 others like this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:50 PM

Cool!    Thanks.    Tom

#3 44maurer

44maurer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

very cool.

#4 Cdnpilot

Cdnpilot

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

Nicely done!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, astrophotography, imaging, moon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics