•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What Is Your Best And Worst Purchases For Astrophotography?

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#26 bigeastro

bigeastro

Apollo

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:57 AM

The best and worst purchases have been my mounts.  This is an indicator as we all know, how important a mount is to the total solution.  Unfortunately this is hard to get across to a new user.

• tcchittyjr likes this

#27 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

Best.  PoleMaster.  CEM60 mount.

Worst.  "Cheap" 6 inch Ritchey Chretien.  I put $1200 total in the "$400" scope to make it work.

Note one thing.  The two worst mistakes beginners make are an inadequate mount, and trying to learn imaging on a big scope, almost always an SCT.  We see those over and over again here.  Not because people are stupid, but because this is so unintuitive.

The 9.25 is a bad scope to try to break into AP of DSOs with.  Many have tried similar things.  Here are the usual results.

"I regret spending the first 6 months trying to learn imaging with an 8" Edge on an AVX mount. I lucked out and got one of the good AVX's, but with that scope/mount combo it was a losing effort. Fortunately got a nice little refractor, and not only have the quality of my images improved but I'm actually enjoying the process of learning how to do it!"

"If you're new to astrophotography I highly recommend getting a small refractor.   It's much lighter on the mount, incredibly easier to guide, easier to shoot with, no coma, better images. I used an 8" SCT for my first 7 months of astronomy/astrophotography and it was headaches. I just got an 80mm stellarvue triplet refractor and my first image is bangin' compared to my previous ones. Blows my SCT's out of the water, which I honestly don't think I'll be using for a long time."

"Of all the recommendations though, if you want to get into imaging then a short imaging refractor is probably the best one (IMHO).  I have a C8 and this was the scope I learned AP on.  It was a long, tough struggle and I have no good pictures to show for it.  I could have easily saved a year by starting with a more image-friendly scope."

Here's a very talented beginner, looking back on his first year.

"First and foremost is listen to the folks who have been there. The philosophy of 80MM APO and good $1500-2000 mount is great advice for beginners. Sure you can possibly (learn to) image as a beginner with something that is larger or that you may have but holy cow its hard enough with something small."

Holy cow it is.  <smile> 

This is not my invention.  Learning AP of DSOs is complicated and unintuitive.  To think you're going to be the one to break the pattern is risky.  <smile>

The kerfuffel about CCD and CMOS is far less important.  I've used both, both can be useful.  The CMOS cameras are far cheaper, and require more work and different techniques.   People who start with them tend to love them, some people with a long background in CCDs tend to find the issues annoying.  Personally I love my Atik 460EXM CCD.  The very "clean" data is a joy to process.  But no way will I ever spend that kind of money on a camera again.  From here on in, my cameras will be CMOS.

This image used both types of cameras.  CMOS for the RGB, CCD for the Hydrogen alpha.  Details and a sharper image (CN restrictions hurt) here.  By the way, that's a 70mm F4.8 refractor.

https://www.astrobin...4117/G/?nc=user

Horsehead HaRGB V16a.jpg

Edited by bobzeq25, 24 January 2019 - 12:00 PM.

• bjswx, Ballyhoo, BinoGuy and 2 others like this

#28 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:41 AM

One of my best purchases has been my ASI1600-MM.  Compared to the ST-8300 and FLI ML8900 I have owned it has much lower read noise.   The fact it was 1/2 to 1/5 the cost of the other cameras is just icing on the cake.   I had to learn some new processing best practices but these have been well established by Jon Rista and other imaging pioneers so it really is easy to get excellent results.  We have 15 of these cameras in our local imaging club and it has been a real revolution.  None of these people would have bought expensive CCD cameras and would have been using uncooled DSLRs which would have not been as good for the narrow band imaging most of us are required to do given the light pollution.   I would encourage people to look at the results imagers are getting with these cameras as the most accurate representation of their amazing abilities.

Also on this list would be my Mach1 and 8 inch f/4 ONTC scope.

Not so good would have been a Takahashi Sky 90 for imaging that had the notorious lens pinching in < 30F weather and the struggle to get the company to acknowledge the problem.

• dswtan, ArkabPriorSol, Joe G and 6 others like this

#29 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

Worst - ZWO ASI294MC (sorry 294 users. I really wanted to love it, but it didn’t love me back)
Best - ZWO ASI071MC Pro (I’m only interested in taking pretty pictures and the 071 does that for me.)
  • premk19 and tkottary like this

#30 lynnelkriver

lynnelkriver

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Elk River, Mn.

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

Best.  PoleMaster.  CEM60 mount.

Worst.  "Cheap" 6 inch Ritchey Chretien.  I put $1200 total in the "$400" scope to make it work.

Note one thing.  The two worst mistakes beginners make are an inadequate mount, and trying to learn imaging on a big scope, almost always an SCT.  We see those over and over again here.  Not because people are stupid, but because this is so unintuitive.

The 9.25 is a bad scope to try to break into AP of DSOs with.  Many have tried similar things.  Here are the usual results.

"I regret spending the first 6 months trying to learn imaging with an 8" Edge on an AVX mount. I lucked out and got one of the good AVX's, but with that scope/mount combo it was a losing effort. Fortunately got a nice little refractor, and not only have the quality of my images improved but I'm actually enjoying the process of learning how to do it!"

"What you (not me, in this case) said annoyed me so much 3 weeks ago. And now I'm looking to do exactly as you said. I haven't successfully captured a single image with the C8 on an AVX. I've learned a good deal, but haven't managed any useful data.  I really, really wanted to prove you wrong. Alas, I'm looking for a small refractor."

"If you're new to astrophotography I highly recommend getting a small refractor.   It's much lighter on the mount, incredibly easier to guide, easier to shoot with, no coma, better images. I used an 8" SCT for my first 7 months of astronomy/astrophotography and it was headaches. I just got an 80mm stellarvue triplet refractor and my first image is bangin' compared to my previous ones. Blows my SCT's out of the water, which I honestly don't think I'll be using for a long time."

"Of all the recommendations though, if you want to get into imaging then a short imaging refractor is probably the best one (IMHO).  I have a C8 and this was the scope I learned AP on.  It was a long, tough struggle and I have no good pictures to show for it.  I could have easily saved a year by starting with a more image-friendly scope."

Here's a very talented beginner, looking back on his first year.

"First and foremost is listen to the folks who have been there. The philosophy of 80MM APO and good $1500-2000 mount is great advice for beginners. Sure you can possibly (learn to) image as a beginner with something that is larger or that you may have but holy cow its hard enough with something small."

Holy cow it is.  <smile>  So, by all means try.  Just don't find yourself spending a lot of time and money on it.

"Amen. I started with an AVX/Edge HD 8" and struggled for two years. I then bought a Skywatcher Esprit 120mm and made more progress in a single winter than I had to date."

"I started out with a CPC 800  on a heavy duty wedge and a Canon 450d.  In hindsight, I'd have started with an 80mm refractor.  I would have saved a lot of money and gotten up the learning curve a lot quicker."

To think you're going to be the one to break the pattern is risky.  <smile>

I totally agree with starting out with a smaller refractor and learning the ropes of AP.  This is what I've been doing the last couple of months so I have not had to deal with guiding issues.  Lord knows that there is plenty to learn when your just starting out in astrophotography!  Going to a quality mount was a home run like all of you have been advising. So at this point I'm focusing on learning Pixinsight with the refractor and when (if) the snow melts later this spring I'll give the C9.25 Edge HD a whirl on some galaxy's.  All the best!  Scott

• AstroGabe and bobzeq25 like this

#31 ks__observer

ks__observer

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:51 AM

One of my best purchases has been my ASI1600-MM.  Compared to the ST-8300 and FLI ML8900 I have owned it has much lower read noise.   The fact it was 1/2 to 1/5 the cost of the other cameras is just icing on the cake.   I had to learn some new processing best practices but these have been well established by Jon Rista and other imaging pioneers so it really is easy to get excellent results.  We have 15 of these cameras in our local imaging club and it has been a real revolution.  None of these people would have bought expensive CCD cameras and would have been using uncooled DSLRs which would have not been as good for the narrow band imaging most of us are required to do given the light pollution.   I would encourage people to look at the results imagers are getting with these cameras as the most accurate representation of their amazing abilities.

+1

#32 geethq

geethq

Explorer 1

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

Best ?

#1: Orion Atlas mount, "It's all about the mount,'bout the mount..."
#2 Polemaster: Two minute PA

#3: iOptron SkyTracker mount. It's what got me "re-hooked" on AP 5 yrs ago and still get's used constantly to this day

Worst ?
Orion 8" f3.9 "Astrograph".... CN  terms of service will not let me post my true feelings about it.......

curious to know what went wrong with it. i'm using its big bother.

#33 ks__observer

ks__observer

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:02 PM

I like my 8in Orion f3.9 Newt.

I have Moonlight focuser which helps.

• nemo129 likes this

#34 geethq

geethq

Explorer 1

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:02 PM

best: current mount

worst: GSO cc(its introducing lot of CA to images), its not that bad for the money but i cannot remember anything other than that failed me.

• ks__observer likes this

#35 Woodbridge_Dave

Woodbridge_Dave

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

Worst :

(1) iOptron Versa refractor (major chromatic aberration.  Lousy quality)

(2) iOptron CEM25 mount (lousy precision & guiding)

(3) ZWO ASI 1600 cooled colour camera (noise pattern could not be eliminated).

(4) ZWO guide camera (horizontal banding)

(5) iOptron sky tracker (a mere toy, incapable of maintaing tracking or polar alignment)

(6) SBIF STF colour camera (mediocre performance, no better than any other KAF camera)

(7) iStar 8" achromatic Refractor (uncorrectable colour aberration, mediocre build quality)

(8) Mallincam DSC camera (very poor image quality with colour streaks visible)

(9) Meade LX 90 8" and 12" (cheap build, both mounts broke down within a month)

(10) Meade and Celestron SCTs  (all of them !)

Best :

(1) Skywatcher EQ6 and AZEQ6 mounts (rock solid)

(2) Skywatcher Star Adventurer (very decent)

(3) Takahashi EM400 mount (built like a tank)

(4) SBIG mono camera (workhorse, reliable)

(5) PixInsight

(6) SGP Pro

(7) Vixen VMC Mak-Cass (wonderful optics)

#36 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

Bill - For my Tak-130, I have the less expensive ($710 vs. $1190) TOA/FS reducer. It's not bad, just not worth the cost IMHO.
Perhaps I would be satisfied with the TOA-35 - I may give that a try.

Gary

Yeah I had the same experience with the cheaper reducer. The 35 reducer is awesome though. If you can swing it, you'll enjoy it.

#37 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:21 PM

Best: Orion Atlas (used) - very reliable workhorse of a mount

Best (runner-up): ASI1600MM-C with Astrodon filters.  All cameras have strengths and weaknesses. What I really like about this camera is the terrific OIII response with relatively short exposures. See my astrobin to see the OIII response on Simeis 147, OU4, g82.2+5.2 to name a few difficult objects.  No offense to KAF8300 owners, but I've seen it struggle with faint OIII stuff unless you can do 20-30 min subs. For me, the microlens issue is not a deal-breaker, but I understand why it is for others.

Worst: Skywatcher 8" Quattro Imaging Newtonian. This was an impulse buy when it was down to $330 on sale. At this point, I've probably put over $1000 trying to build a system around it: Moonlite focuser, tons of collimation tools (catseye, laser, etc.), Skywatcher Coma Corrector, etc. and I still haven't been able to fix some fundamental issues I see in the images. I've since bought other scopes, and just don't really feel the need to have this scope anymore, but I am not sure how to sell it responsibly since I've never gotten it to work correctly. 

• ks__observer likes this

#38 Pauls72

Pauls72

Vanguard

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

Best

1) Orion Atlas EQ-G mount (liked it so much, I bought a second one used)

2) PoleMaster

3) William Optics FLT-98 APO Refractor with Flat-4 Reducer/Flattener

4) EQ6 Rail kit

Worst

1) LXD-55 Mount

2) 8" Newtonian f/4

3) 6" Ritchey-Chrétien

4) DSI-C camera

Both of these lists could get pretty long.

Edited by Pauls72, 24 January 2019 - 05:02 PM.

#39 chadrian84

chadrian84

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

Worst:  Everything I purchased in my first 5 months of AP (mounts, OTA's, filters, etc)... It was all mid-tier gear which I quickly realized I wanted to upgrade.  I'm now going to take a 7-10k bath in the resale market.  If you have the money and are serious about this hobby, buy all premium gear from the get-go.  I suspected this when I started but everyone seemed to advise against it.

Best:  QHY-OAG, AP1100, Rig-Runner gear,  Spike-A-Flat panel

• AstroGabe, rockstarbill, ezwheels and 3 others like this

#40 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:19 PM

Best: Mach1 GTO. I wish it was cheaper--but I would buy it again.

Other very satisfying purchases (hardware):

ASI174MM-mini OAG guide camera. 

HP Omen laptop with *Red backlit keyboard* (especially the keyboard!!!)

APM/TMB 115/805

ASI1600MM-Cool (I do hate the microlensing effect, but I would never have spent the $ for a CCD, and it is a *huge* improvement over a DSLR).

Spike-A-Flat panel.

Other very satisfying purchases (software):

SGP

Sharpcap Pro (better than Polemaster for PA).

Pixinsight (but what a learning curve!)

Photoshop CS6 (still can come in quite handy, even with PI).

Worst:

First AVX mount. Wasted 6 months trying to make it work. Eventually it was replaced by a much better one, but it gave me an ulcer in the process.

0.8x 115/805 reducer-flattener made by the usually excellent (but not here) Stellarvue. Stars never flat in corners.

Other unsatisfying purchases:

Orion Light Pollution Imaging filter. 

Active repeater cables (powered hub is far superior).

• zakry3323 likes this

#41 Lenbo

Lenbo

Viking 1

• Loc: Cochranville, Pa.

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

Best:  MYT mount, SW100 Esprit

Worst: NP101is (poor stars), Atik 383l (Bad usb port, cooling failure)

• tcchittyjr and rgarc1a like this

#42 mohitk

mohitk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: A valley in Southern California

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:52 PM

The 1600 IMO is an abomination. Not because of anything ZWO did wrong or QHY did wrong, rather Panasonic refuses to coat that sensor. Now, you will have an army of people show up in this thread to call me names, call me a bad imager, and other things to try and counter my point, but hear me out:

1. I am not a bad imager. I dont think bad imagers have their images framed and hanging up at places like Astro-Physics.

2. I have watched this concept purported by people here, that the Panasonic camera only has issues on some rare images you take, be completely disproven in every single season of imaging.

3. While I completely agree it is cheap, I dont think peoples time is cheap.

4. You can buy a very good KAF-8300 camera these days, and if you buy a well made one (QSI, FLI) you will end up with a very good camera that will not show that same issue. The used market has been wrecked over this discourse, thus its a buyers FEAST at the moment.

The 1600 camera is nothing but baseless hype. It is a TERRIBLE camera, IMO. Others will surely show up to talk about how wrong I am, etc. etc.... I still disagree.

Now, if you want to be highly selective about what you image, and what is in your FOV -- you can make that sensor work for you. Dither your tail off though, because the coating is not the ONLY issue with that sensor, its the biggest. The headache of processing data from the 1600 is REAL. I hope the people I know have moved far away from that camera, to never return, will chime in and share their experiences. Those are the ones you actually want to hear from.

@rockstarbill - thank you so much for sharing that. I will definitely keep it in mind as my search for an imaging camera continues. Those CCD cameras are sure expensive - I might have to keep my eye out for a used one!

#43 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:08 PM

@rockstarbill - thank you so much for sharing that. I will definitely keep it in mind as my search for an imaging camera continues. Those CCD cameras are sure expensive - I might have to keep my eye out for a used one!

No problem. There are supposedly going to be some new CMOS cameras coming out this year with APS-C Mono being one of them. You may want to keep an eye out for that and see how it performs.

Used market always has some great deals.
  • mohitk and Wlachenmeyer like this

#44 Hondo

Hondo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NB, Canada

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

Worst:  Meade LXD75

Best:  Building my RoR obsy.

• ntph likes this

#45 droe

droe

Viking 1

• Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

Best: Everything I got so far.

Worst: My wife's Jeep. (I could have used the money and got more cool stuff)

• Ken Sturrock, ezwheels, PilotAstronomy and 1 other like this

#46 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

Best my 2000 c8, Worst CG5 it came on.

#47 Dean J.

Dean J.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:03 PM

I love my ASI-1600 smile.gif

I love my ASI1600MM-C too.  I won't be buying any more CCD cameras. 

After quite a few years of imaging I would say that probably my #2 and #3 favorite purchases would be my Astro-Physics AP900 mount and then my recent purchase of an FSQ-106.

• James Paulson, ks__observer, ezwheels and 1 other like this

#48 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:35 PM

Best:

Mesu 200 mount - worked PERFECTLY from day one and carries everything I'm ever likely to have, Skywatcher Esprit 100mm, perfect images every time.

Worst:

F4 imaging newts of several major brands - despite every upgrade and collimation tool known to man.

Now have F5 newts that are soooo much easier to handle.

FWIW

Gary

• GoFish and ezwheels like this

#49 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

I should expand on this list I provided.

Best:

TOA130 - Awesome scope, but was replaced due to downsizing and its weight. The 67 Flattener and TOA-35 Reducer are both AWESOME. 

AP130 GTX - Awesome scope, lighter than the TOA130, and had the right options for Focal Length and Focal Ratio that I wanted. Quad TCC and GTX Flattener are both awesome as well. 

AP1100 - Love this mount. Its my go-to even though I have a lighter one.

Paramount MyT - Excellent performer that is easy to tote around. Looks darn nice too. grin.gif  

FLI ML16200 - Large chip, low noise, great performance. Only downside is that the camera is expensive, but you do get what you pay for in this case.

QSI6120 - High QE, low read noise, QSI build quality. Smaller chip, but there are times when I want a smaller chip and this works well in those cases. Awesome camera.

QSI690 - Love it for all of the same reasons I loved the QSI6120. A little higher noise on this one, but it was a solid performer.

QSI583 - Great deals can be found on this used, and I was able to locate one. Excellent performing camera. Doesnt have the fast download mode that the 600 series has, and has slightly less powerful cooling, but you can pick them up for peanuts these days.

QHY16200A - If you set aside some of the driver problems and limitations, this is an excellent performing camera that comes in a wickedly cheap price for a camera, wheel, and OAG system that is completely integrated. The new Moravian G3 Mark II 16200 camera is a strong contender though, on paper. Only sold this to move to the FLI for its improved benefits over the QHY.

Worst:

FSQ106ED - While I was able to get mine collimated and functional and the new owner (whom lives close by) is getting excellent data with it, the build quality of FSQ's makes them very difficult to suggest to people. At its price point the focuser is disappointing as well. This is one scope that should not be a crap shoot in terms of if you get a good one or not (a la the AVX). I have heard that the absolute latest FSQ's are coming out of the box and working exceptionally well. I believe those have a focuser with a blue-ish hue to it. 

ASI1600MM - Not saying more about this. I've said enough already.

ASI294MC - Bad thermal issues and my sensor was tilted out of the box. Better QC is needed for these cameras.

Stellarvue Reducers -  The pre-SVX reducers are terrible. You cannot get round stars with small chips with them, trying to do that with APS-C would just be a nightmare. Hopefully the new SVX reducers are better.

ZWO OAG - Not a fan of the design with the wobbly camera, and the light metal that seems to cause more harm (tilt) than good. I had the v1 OAG though, so they have likely made changes to improve it over time. I moved on.

• Ken Sturrock and AstroGabe like this

#50 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:16 PM

ZWO OAG - Not a fan of the design with the wobbly camera, and the light metal that seems to cause more harm (tilt) than good. I had the v1 OAG though, so they have likely made changes to improve it over time. I moved on.

I wonder if this is a QC thing.  I have had two of the original releases of this OAG and both were perfect.  I like the size, weight, backfocus, etc... Of all the budget OAG's (and I've owned the TS and the Orion Thin) the ZWO is the best IMO.  The newer updates look like they lock the prism stalk down a bit better though.  My favorite OAG though is the integrated QSI.  I have the kiss focuser for it, but without clear skies it's been in the box for about 4 months.  lol... 

• rockstarbill likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics