•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gso vs high point vs astro tech vs orion vs etc....

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 SynisterAZ

SynisterAZ

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:05 AM

Good advice, I'm sure. I trust you advice on imaging to be well worth considering. Just one thought, though, on the above comment. I am sure you know this, already, and may have intended otherwise. An 8" Dob is much more capable than "casually cruising" around the sky admiring M42 for 5 minutes. It's a good "starter" scope and quite a capable aperture in experienced hands, as well. Kind of the beginning of the larger, more serious apertures where you begin to actually see things. We can cut our teeth on building observing skill and technique which gives an 8" even more reach. It's not a 16" Dob, for sure, nor an 80mm to 120mm APO, but it is a quite capable visual instrument under favorable conditions with or to gain experience. 

Yes, absolutely. My casual cruise euphemism was more directed at the sizable difference between an 8" Dob and a 8" Newt on a GEQ. Both are essentially equal in viewing capability,  f/ differences aside. I dont think you could describe a 8" newt on a GEQ with polar alignment, mount leveling, and OTA rotation within the rings for EP use as "Casual". I know this single realization more than any other dissuaded me from going down this very path. I want to use my scope, not think about using it and then go back to Netflix because it was too much hassle. 

Edited by SynisterAZ, 25 January 2019 - 09:08 AM.

#27 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

I dont think you could describe a 8" newt on a GEQ with polar alignment, mount leveling, and OTA rotation within the rings for EP use as "Casual". 

Yea, in that sense, I agree with you. In that sense, a Dob is more casual. I get what you meant. 

I used to have a 10" LX200, it took some time to set up and tear down and kind of heavy. Cords, cables, and accessories. It took a while to polar align using the star drift method. It's one reason I am more casual these days. I am sometimes still amazed at how quickly I go from the front door to eyes on target. Plop and drop...not so much grab and go. Less casual. (LOL) :)

• SynisterAZ likes this

#28 Ericreschly

Ericreschly

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:02 AM

Again all very helpful advice.  And things I have considered,  thank you.

#29 25585

Vanguard

• Loc: In a valley

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:16 PM

There is the Sky Watcher Mak Newt 190. It can be put on a heavy alt az for casual, or used for AP as its F4. You would then have a dual purpose CA & coma free scope.

#30 Ericreschly

Ericreschly

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:36 AM

There is the Sky Watcher Mak Newt 190. It can be put on a heavy alt az for casual, or used for AP as its F4. You would then have a dual purpose CA & coma free scope.

I saw those.  They looked interesting.  But didn't seem to be worth the extra money and weight.  If I could afford it I would probably consider it.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics