•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Teething pain w the IEQ45

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#26 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:02 PM

mantrain

If you need help, please send me a PM. I'm nearby and happy to show you how to get going with that mount. I doubt that you even need Sharpcap, the Polar Scope should be adequate. However, Sharpcap and the Polar scope require that you are able to see polaris. If you cannot then you need to do something different. The SDAA has a public star party a week from Saturday at our dark sky site. I'm almost certain to be out there as will many other willing (and able) helpers. Stop by and look confused and someone is bound to come over. 

And YES it gets cold in San Diego. When I left my observatory last night at 730 it was 37 degrees. To me, anytime it's under 40, it's cold standing around looking at a screen.

Rgrds-Ross

#27 epdreher

epdreher

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

I used to live in Oceanside, and spent many nights on Palomar or at the Anza site for the OCA.

Sure it can get cold at times, but nothing like I've experienced here.

#28 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:31 PM

mantrain

If you need help, please send me a PM. I'm nearby and happy to show you how to get going with that mount. I doubt that you even need Sharpcap, the Polar Scope should be adequate. However, Sharpcap and the Polar scope require that you are able to see polaris. If you cannot then you need to do something different. The SDAA has a public star party a week from Saturday at our dark sky site. I'm almost certain to be out there as will many other willing (and able) helpers. Stop by and look confused and someone is bound to come over. 

And YES it gets cold in San Diego. When I left my observatory last night at 730 it was 37 degrees. To me, anytime it's under 40, it's cold standing around looking at a screen.

Rgrds-Ross

Perfect opportunity for you mantrain!

#29 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

Perfect opportunity for you mantrain!

u mean @ TDS?

Edited by mantrain, 24 January 2019 - 01:31 PM.

#30 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:37 PM

Yup. Or PM me if you'd like me to come by and work with you one night.

Rgrds-Ross

#31 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, NY

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:46 PM

A few nasty/brusque remarks have been removed from this thread. If anyone has lost patience just move away from the keyboard and take a break. We are here to help, not harass.

#32 epdreher

epdreher

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

Yup. Or PM me if you'd like me to come by and work with you one night.

Rgrds-Ross

A very generous offer. waytogo.gif

#33 Erik30

Erik30

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, MN

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

When I first started out with my iEQ45-GTN I was getting the same error on some nights and other nights I was not.  I sat and messed with that mount for hours, turning it off, on, disconnecting, reconnecting, you name it.. I finally went to a start party our club was having when the error came up again.  I asked around but no one really knew about it because the iEQ45 was so new. later in the evening another club member came in with the same mount. We talked and he laughed...  How did you setup PA??  I went through my setup only to find out I was completely wrong....  That is when I found the nice polar app from iOptron for the iPhone. after PA I was able to guide!!  Not very well, but I was on my way..  That same member took the time later to go over checking the polar scope, making sure it was calibrated to the mount.  After making changes to the polar scope my guiding was A LOT better.  Shortly after that PoleMaster came out and I have never looked back.. 

I have recently purchased a new mount because of a larger scope and heavier camera train, but I still use that iEQ45. With proper setup it works wonders for short focal length scopes.  (I use a Stellarvue 80mm triplet on it) One thing with the PoleMaster, all you need are different adapters for different mounts. $25-30 tops and you are up and running.  Align one mount, take the camera off and onto the next.  \

Listen to what is being said here, they know what they are talking about.  Polar alignment is critical in AP there is no way around it. (Then we can start to talk about cone error....  But there is an app for that too..  :)  )

Remember this is a hobby, have fun with it, learn from it and you will have years of enjoyment. 

#34 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:44 PM

When I first started out with my iEQ45-GTN I was getting the same error on some nights and other nights I was not.  I sat and messed with that mount for hours, turning it off, on, disconnecting, reconnecting, you name it.. I finally went to a start party our club was having when the error came up again.  I asked around but no one really knew about it because the iEQ45 was so new. later in the evening another club member came in with the same mount. We talked and he laughed...  How did you setup PA??  I went through my setup only to find out I was completely wrong....  That is when I found the nice polar app from iOptron for the iPhone. after PA I was able to guide!!  Not very well, but I was on my way..  That same member took the time later to go over checking the polar scope, making sure it was calibrated to the mount.  After making changes to the polar scope my guiding was A LOT better.  Shortly after that PoleMaster came out and I have never looked back.. 

I have recently purchased a new mount because of a larger scope and heavier camera train, but I still use that iEQ45. With proper setup it works wonders for short focal length scopes.  (I use a Stellarvue 80mm triplet on it) One thing with the PoleMaster, all you need are different adapters for different mounts. $25-30 tops and you are up and running.  Align one mount, take the camera off and onto the next.  \

Listen to what is being said here, they know what they are talking about.  Polar alignment is critical in AP there is no way around it. (Then we can start to talk about cone error....  But there is an app for that too..  smile.gif  )

Remember this is a hobby, have fun with it, learn from it and you will have years of enjoyment. 

what is the longest focal legnth you would recommend? and since you had some growing pains too, did you find that everything you were helped w could have been found in the manual? I am thinking there are items in the manual i might have overlooked. nice post

#35 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:52 PM

mantrain

Rgrds-Ross

but your coastal? you never get really cold weather over there. I am in E County, Santee area. We even get frost! 

thank you very much for reaching out!

Edited by mantrain, 24 January 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#36 Erik30

Erik30

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, MN

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:54 PM

what is the longest focal legnth you would recommend? and since you had some growing pains too, did you find that everything you were helped w could have been found in the manual? I am thinking there are items in the manual i might have overlooked. nice post

The longest focal length I used for imaging was the 80mm (480mm) I had a AT72ed piggy backed on top as a guide scope.  I would think the iEQ45 could handle a scope in the 115mm range without a problem.  I went to a very long focal length scope (10" GSO Truss RC) for small galaxies, globular clusters, and planets, so I needed a larger mount for that.  I will always have and use my 45 for wide field imaging so it is not all bad..  :)   Unless my niece keeps bugging me, then she might inherit it. 

Could everything have been found in the manual?  No, not even close if you ask me.  The manual is nice, it explains a lot, but nothing is going to beat hands on experience with the mount.   That brings up another topic.. Weather...  I'm in Minnesota, it is -4 F outside right now with a decent wind...I have imaged when it is this cold but from inside the house while remoting into the scope PC..  :)    Learn the mount when the weather is nice, if you don't have anything going on and it is not to warm or cold out, get it out there and tinker with it.. Find out what works for you and what doesn't.. Take notes!!  I never took notes, now I write everything down in a log, it has saved me so much time doing things..  Learning from my mistakes.. 

#37 AZJohnnyC

AZJohnnyC

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

If you are setting up and tearing down each night then you need to either:
  - calibrate at the beginning of the session, or
  - ensure that your guide camera angle is the same each night (e.g. mark the position with a piece of tape)

**This above could very well be your problem if you moved the guide camera PHD has no clue what is up or down right or left and has not idea how to correct it because it is going off old data from an earlier setup.**

This does raise an interesting question.  Like many folks, I have to set up and tear down each night.  I've learned to clear previous alignment data in the iEQ45 Pro HC to avoid having any old PA issues complicate things down the road.  Is there a way to clear out old guiding data from PHD2 in order to start with a clean slate? 

My own guiding on this mount is getting progressively worse, and now I'm wondering if this may be an issue...

John

#38 gotak

gotak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:43 PM

There's a menu item for clearing calibration. This force phd to re calibrate. It also helps to use low declination for calibration.

Otherwise these are mechanical things. At regular intervals (once or twice a year) you should open the plastic covers over the worms and at least inspect the state of the grease, the tightness of the belt and check for excessive worm play due to lose end caps. For any deficiencies found you should correct them. 

#39 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:12 PM

speaking of the polemaster.. i have one but have never used it because i’m so close to the equator that Polaris is on the horizon.

but i keep the polemaster for when i travel..

that said, I’ve 3d printed various adapters for the polemaster (so far for the Vixen SP and Tak Space Boy). so even the $15-20 is dispensed with.

#40 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:43 PM

you miss the entire point. where do  i ever say polar align wasn't important? not everyone is going to have a flawless second session but you make all these wild assertions . good info but get off da soap box and dont mis characterize.

No you missed the point. You arent doing it at all, and continue to come ask people to help you. You are not listening to the help you were given. 

Polar Alignment is critically important to imaging. Last time I am telling you this. 

Ross offered to come help you and teach you. Take him up on that. 

Edited by rockstarbill, 24 January 2019 - 11:43 PM.

#41 dayglow

dayglow

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

I imaged with my AT115 refractor (805mm) on my EQ45 for the past 2 years and as long as the wind is not too strong, that combination worked very well.

After I learned how to properly operate the mount, it has been very reliable for me. 

I noticed that the OP has asked about unguided imaging performance and as to that I can say nothing.  All my imaging has been guided using a guide scope and PHD2.

-- David F.

#42 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:45 AM

My iEQ45 was happy to handle an 8" RC. The RC was awful but the mount was fine - guiding was around .8 or so RMS (and this wasn't a "pro") in RA with about 25 pounds on the mount. It wouldn't handle a Meade 10" ACF that I bought (another awful OTA) to replace the RC. So, my thinking would be that the optimal long scope for that mount is going to be an 8" Edge HD. You will need some kind of aux focuser and an OAG as well if you want to get good results. 

My mount would NOT go unguided for longer than 1 minute, though. Now, that was before I learned about dead accurate polar alignment (Polemaster) and PEC (PEMPRO). With those two tools, it should be a lot of fun to see how long you could image unguided. Still, I'm betting that 2-3 minutes is going to be tops with a mid range refractor.

Rgrds-Ross

#43 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:45 AM

Gentlemen, this thread is locked pending moderator review.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics