•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Big Time Pier Crash......

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:38 PM

How long your scope is /your Lat / Object Dec. all play a part in it hitting or not.

#27 macdonjh

macdonjh

Soyuz

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:24 PM

How does one prevent this? I have a CG5-ASGT Mount. I know about the Limits that I can set but is there something in the Hand Control Settings that I can set besides limits such as for a  Meridian Flip? Sorry, not trying to Hijack the Post. I was wondering because at one point I set limits due to my long refractor and that worked fine ast it would stop at the limit set, however I did purchase a Mount/Pier extension so as not to use the Limits I set. So is there something in the Hand Control (fully updated Firmware to latest version) I am missing so as to perform a Meridian Flip automatically in the Settings? Curious to hear from those Folks who have the CG5-ASGT Mount and what you have done or set in the Setting to prevent a pier crash. I know that I can move my scope straight to the Zenith and Meridian without the scope hitting my Mount/pier because of the Mount/Pier extension I added but what is the best way to prevent the "beyond Meridian"  Mount/Pier crash? Does the Firmware have something automatic where it realizes the scope is at the Meridian and will go a bit past then slews to the other side of Meridian?

Cheers

Don 

I think the limits are the only safe guard you have.  If you're worried about it, set aggressive limits (far away from your tripod legs or pier).  I don't think the AS-GT does automatic meridian flips, does it?

This isn't much problem for me, personally.  I'm 100% visual, so I don't load an imaging run and then go to bed and let the mount run unattended.  I'm impressed by those that can get their computers to run that much stuff automatically.  I have an antagonistic, love/hate relationship with computers.

• emflocater likes this

#28 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

I think the limits are the only safe guard you have.  If you're worried about it, set aggressive limits (far away from your tripod legs or pier).  I don't think the AS-GT does automatic meridian flips, does it?

This isn't much problem for me, personally.  I'm 100% visual, so I don't load an imaging run and then go to bed and let the mount run unattended.  I'm impressed by those that can get their computers to run that much stuff automatically.  I have an antagonistic, love/hate relationship with computers.

Yeah I checked...no meridian flip setting in the CG5-ASGT Settings. Oh well. I will just keep an eye on it if I AP near the meridian. I'll also try to slew manually to the meridian and see if the scope is close to the pier, and if so I'll adjust limits.

Cheers

Don

Edited by emflocater, 27 January 2019 - 02:52 PM.

#29 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:20 PM

Check your mounts movement with you equipment going past the meridian.

With a lot of my imaging gear I can go past the meridian with the mount with no issues.

So when I'm going to be near it I will flip to the other side then back it up past and start imaging from there.

Edited by TxStars, 27 January 2019 - 06:21 PM.

#30 flyingg103

flyingg103

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Aubrey Texas

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:01 PM

Thanks Ed, found this one and will setup next week. 

https://www.amazon.c...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Just installed the camera which should work fine. Here is a shot taken tonight. Will keep this running with the IR light off  until slew commands are expected and certainly checked more often when close to meridian.

Overall camera is good, with this one being installed about 12 feet from the pier.

Gotta love the neighbors hugely bright LED light that is on every night. Good news they are willing to turn off when needed.

Attached Thumbnails

• AB9647F7-8DAE-4ABE-8B02-7E75A25FBDB8.jpeg

Edited by flyingg103, 29 January 2019 - 11:08 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics