•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using M-Seal as as tile tool for fine grinding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SAMAPTIN

SAMAPTIN

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:08 AM

Hi All,
I have a query regarding tool for fine grinding.
Currently I am in a process of making 14 inch mirror. Rough grinding is in progress.  For the fine grinding (or even polishing), can we create the tool using general purpose M-Seal. While I was reading about it, I got to know that its waterproof, less curing time, crack proof,  moldable, etc.

Has it been already tried by anyone? Any thoughts regarding this.

Thanks,
SA

#2 dodo

dodo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:42 AM

Hmm! Very interesting idea. I have never tried it and will always prefer glass as a grinding tool as it is quite cheap. I think for a 14" full size tool 1 inch thick you will need more than 3 Kgs of M seal. 

Maybe the experts would find it easier if you can give the composition of M seal.

#3 ckh

ckh

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:14 AM

It's epoxy and probably pretty flexible and besides very expensive. Cast Hydrostone is hard stiff and relatively cheap.

#4 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Soyuz

• Loc: Sin-sin-atti

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

IMO a bad idea.  Use a long cure time epoxy (not 5 minute) and pennies. Very easy to keep clean between grits.

#5 SAMAPTIN

SAMAPTIN

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:08 AM

Hi,

I tried to use M-seal as tile tool. The result is fantastic. M-seal hardens in 2-3 hrs. 

The reason why I wanted to check this was, earlier I made glass tile tool. After using it for few days, I realized that there are so many scratches  developed on the mirror glass surface due to glass tiles. Since most of the curve was already formed and matched to the glass tile tool, starting with fresh tool was not a solution. Hence I landed up with the M-Seal based tool. With M-Seal I could easily matched the existing mirror curve and continue my work.

Thanks,

SA

#6 ckh

ckh

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:26 PM

I don't understand. You made the entire tool of M-seal or did you use it to stick tiles on? Are you grinding on M-seal? Sorry just confused.

#7 SAMAPTIN

SAMAPTIN

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:40 PM

Hi,

Yes the entire surface in contact with mirror is made using M-seal (very similar to tiles). I put M-seal on the Plaster of Paris disk so that means I am using M-Seal for grinding.  

Thanks,

SA

#8 ckh

ckh

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:51 PM

How is it similar to tiles? Tiles are hard. If this is the M-Seal I googled, it's epoxy which is soft. Grit will get embedded in it.

#9 SAMAPTIN

SAMAPTIN

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:16 AM

Hi,

Sorry for delay,

This M-seal tool is very much similar to tile tool.  I have used M-seal used for  plumbing jobs. Your observation is correct its very soft. I used Aluminum Oxide  302 & 304 with it and it worked perfect, no grit embedded. Now my fine grinding is almost through.  (rough grinding was already completed)

here is a picture.M seal tool.jpg

Thanks,

SA

Edited by SAMAPTIN, 10 February 2019 - 12:18 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics