•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The position of Questar in the car

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GR1973

GR1973

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:44 AM

Hi

Where do you put and secure your Q case in your car for trip to dark sky ? Do you use the seat belts?

The road would be unpaved and bumby.

#2 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:25 AM

Preferably in the passenger seat and locked in the seat belt, alternatively in the back seat in the seat belt. Safely stowed away in it's case of course waytogo.gif

• Matt Looby, Mike E., terraclarke and 1 other like this

#3 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:25 AM

Because seat belts have built-in slack (until they are locked by sudden braking) and let items tip sideways very easily I'd put a luggage strap around the case and seat back (as well as the seat belt) to make sure the case is firmly held in the seat all the time. I wouldn't feel secure without it.

#4 Mike Allen

Mike Allen

Mariner 2

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:10 AM

I wrap the scope case in a blanket and strap it in the front seat with the seat belt.  Short section of rope tied around the seat back and case.  Tristand  tripod is wrapped in a blanket below on the floor.  Tristand head in a cardboard box.

#5 Mike E.

Mike E.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:24 PM

When I travel with our standard Questar, I put a four inch thick piece of foam with a hole in it over the objective end to help protect against a sudden jarring movement within the case. Then usually the case is put on a pillow in an ice chest on the passenger side floor of the Audi or in the trunk if I am not alone.

Sorry  about the photo quality.

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0001 (Medium).JPG
  • PICT0002 (Medium).JPG

• rcwolpert likes this

#6 David Illig

David Illig

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Annapolis, Maryland

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:29 AM

Hi

Where do you put and secure your Q case in your car for trip to dark sky ? Do you use the seat belts?

The road would be unpaved and bumby.

In its case on a pillow on the floor, front seat or back, depending on expediency. This has worked for me on-road and off since I bought my Q in 1982. 

#7 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

Question:  Has anyone ever had a Questar sustain damage while in its case?

I've seen internal and external damage from toppled tripods, and damaged cases, but never damage to a cased scope.

That said, I still baby my babies as much as possible, and look forward to a modern case for travel.

• terraclarke likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics