•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HDR lunar eclipse images

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cyber

cyber

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:56 AM

I really enjoyed the lunar eclipse earlier this week, my gear worked without any errors and the skies were very clear. I'm almost 30 and this was the first time that I visually observed a lunar eclipse. The next one visible from Western Europe only occurs in 2029, so I'm glad that it all worked out this time.

Looking through the eyepiece, I could easily observe both the illuminated and eclipsed parts of the Moon simultaneously. But the difference in brightness was actually huge (over 9 photographic stops) and it was impossible to capture the dynamic range of the entire scene with a single exposure. Nonetheless, I tried to recreate the visual appearance of the event by combining several different exposures into HDR images. Blending the layers involved quite a bit of artistic freedom, it's mostly my own memory of the event.

The HDR images seem to have a bit more depth or 3D-effect due to the rounded shape of Earth's shadow. I quite like that, because the shadow was one of the first things that blew me away during the observation.

Visual phase collage 1600px.jpg

Full resolution at 2.7"/pixel on AstroBin: https://www.astrobin...387468/0/?real=

Technical details:

Date: 21 January 2017
Telescope: Teleskop-Service 80/480 triplet with 2″ TS 0.79X reducer/flattener and Baader 2″ UV/IR filter
Camera: Canon 450D
Exposure: 1/1000 sec, ISO-200 to 5 sec, ISO-200
Mount: Skywatcher EQ5 Pro
Accessories: ASToptics dew straps, Omegon 2 Channel dew controller, Intervalometer
Power: Tracer 16 Ah + 7 Ah 12V LiFePO4 batteries
Software: RawTherapee, PixInsight, GIMP

• EricCCD, mrowlands, Steve OK and 16 others like this

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:09 AM

That's a very well done series. Probably one of the better HDR treatments that I've seen. Thanks for sharing.

#3 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:04 AM

I agree with James, one of the better HDR treatments.  Well done!

#4 Steve OK

Steve OK

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:36 AM

Really great work.  Artistic freedom?  Maybe.  Artistic talent?  Definitely!

Steve

#5 Astrola72

Astrola72

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:44 AM

What they said. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

#6 cyber

cyber

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:39 PM

Really great work.  Artistic freedom?  Maybe.  Artistic talent?  Definitely!

Steve

blush.gif

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm always open for suggestions to improve my work, so feel free to critique.

Is the look of these images similar to your own visual experience of the event?

• Steve OK likes this

#7 soldatispace

soldatispace

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fribourg, Switzerland

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:57 PM

Congratulations!!!! This is a very beautiful series. Artistic freedom... Artistic talent... I would add Artistic Accuracy because it exactly looks like what I saw through the eyepiece. Well done !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 Steve OK

Steve OK

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

blush.gif

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm always open for suggestions to improve my work, so feel free to critique.

Is the look of these images similar to your own visual experience of the event?

Very much so!  That is what is so remarkable about them.  They are as close to the "real thing" as any images of a lunar eclipse that I have seen.

Steve

#9 EricCCD

EricCCD

Vanguard

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

This is a beautiful sequence and what I hoped to accomplish myself with a series of exposures of the eclipse! Unfortunately I only took two sets of exposures (one long for the dim side and one short for the bright side), and I'm finding that blending the two sets is very challenging. Your sequence is an inspiration!

Eric

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics