•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific 9mm 120° - thoughts ?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 jag767

jag767

Kinesis Custom Machining and Refinishing

• Vendors
  • Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:44 AM

Well, im sure at f11 in my 4" ed it will be enjoyable as well as tack sharp, but i couldnt help myself, going to try this hilarious setup as well. Yields a 1.5mm exit puptil, ~50x mag, and about a 2.5° fov. At f6 it will be a little harder on the ep, but from what i read its still sharp to the edge at f5, so no worries there.

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20190905_224042.jpg

• Procyon and faackanders2 like this

#52 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:54 AM

Looks great. :) I almost bought that ep lol. 

#53 jag767

jag767

• Vendors

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:01 AM

Looks great. :) I almost bought that ep lol.

Heh, the classifieds are no good for my bank account!
  • Procyon likes this

#54 PPPPPP42

PPPPPP42

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:04 PM

OK that picture is hilarious, it shows how stupid huge the 9mm 120 is.  Any smaller a scope and you wouldn't be able to tell which end is the scope and which is the eyepiece.

After using my 9mm 120 for awhile I don't regret buying it one bit but its something of a novelty eyepiece.  I sorta think of it as the 9mm 100 degree with a 20 degree view finder ring around it.

Its a little annoying that you basically can't clearly take in the whole view at once, you have to tilt your head back and forth and look around.

I notice strange coma like distortions in some stars around the edges when viewing the center especially while slewing around, but they disappear when you adjust your head to look directly at any spot.

Eye position is rather important with this eyepiece.

It also weights enough over my other 100 degree eyepieces that especially going between my 5.5 and 9 I sometimes have to adjust the balance of my refractor in the M2C mount (which is maxed out and a bit touchy with this setup anyways.

As far as recommending someone buy one its a super fun eyepiece to have and it makes finding targets manually at that magnification super easy, but I think I would recommend the 9mm 100 degree for someone looking to take in the whole field at once with a bit more practical size weight and cost.

What I would really love to see is more 92 degree eyepieces, I considered getting one but the focal lengths they come in just don't work for what I want to do.

Plus something in the 100 degree line to compete with the Televue 3.7mm which I am going to be buying soon.

I was going to get a 2x 2" focal extender but it weighs so much by itself that with the 9mm it would be a mess to balance out.

• Procyon likes this

#55 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:09 PM

OK that picture is hilarious, it shows how stupid huge the 9mm 120 is.  Any smaller a scope and you wouldn't be able to tell which end is the scope and which is the eyepiece.

After using my 9mm 120 for awhile I don't regret buying it one bit but its something of a novelty eyepiece.  I sorta think of it as the 9mm 100 degree with a 20 degree view finder ring around it.

Its a little annoying that you basically can't clearly take in the whole view at once, you have to tilt your head back and forth and look around.

I notice strange coma like distortions in some stars around the edges when viewing the center especially while slewing around, but they disappear when you adjust your head to look directly at any spot.

Eye position is rather important with this eyepiece.

It also weighs enough over my other 100 degree eyepieces that especially going between my 5.5 and 9 I sometimes have to adjust the balance of my refractor in the M2C mount (which is maxed out and a bit touchy with this setup anyways.

As far as recommending someone buy one its a super fun eyepiece to have and it makes finding targets manually at that magnification super easy, but I think I would recommend the 9mm 100 degree for someone looking to take in the whole field at once with a bit more practical size weight and cost.

What I would really love to see is more 92 degree eyepieces, I considered getting one but the focal lengths they come in just don't work for what I want to do.

Plus something in the 100 degree line to compete with the Televue 3.7mm which I am going to be buying soon.

I was going to get a 2x 2" focal extender but it weighs so much by itself that with the 9mm it would be a mess to balance out.

There will be more focal length of the 92° eyepieces, but they are in the weight range of the 9x120 or even heavier, so no panacea.

As for more 110° eyepieces to compete with the 3.7mm Ethos, how about these:

APM XWA HDC Hyperwide field 3.5 1.25/2.00 110°
Skywatcher Myriad Hyper Wide 3.5 1.25/2.00 110°
Telescope Service XWA Hyperwidefield 3.5 1.25/2.00 110°
William Optics XWA Hyperwidefield 3.5 1.25/2.00 110°
Stellarvue Optimus Hyper Wide 3.6 1.25/2.00 110°

• Procyon likes this

#56 PPPPPP42

PPPPPP42

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:12 PM

Cool, thanks.

But now I have five more brands offerings to research it looks like.

#57 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:49 PM

Or one.  Consensus says they may all be the same eyepiece from KUO.

#58 jag767

jag767

• Vendors

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:51 AM

Not that another review is needed, but i had a blast with this ep on Jupiter and Saturn recently. Pretty decent night, and again, that tremendous fov makes it so easily to find objects, and i spend much less time working to keep hem in the field vs my 82° eps. Unsurprisingly i found it sharp to the edge, and while its certainly possible its a tad dimmer than my 8.8 82° (i didnt compare) both  planets were still very bright(jupiter more so). Overall i am delighted with my purchase!

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20190914_135316.jpg

Edited by jag767, 18 September 2019 - 06:51 AM.

• payner and Luca Brasi like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics