•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Teaser: The tension in the air is palpable.

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter
  • Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:52 PM

Project Code Name:  "Wild Man"

Synopsis:  Seeing more, seamlessly with both eyes, by selectively seeing less.

ETA:  Big reveal in ~2 weeks

Mum's the word.

:winky:

- Jim 

#2 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Viking 1

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

2.3X bino or binoviewing with UHC filters?  Bino EAA?

• jrbarnett likes this

#3 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Viking 1

• Loc: Vancouver Canada

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

Nah the wild man finally went and did it... Nikon WX tongue2.gif

• jrbarnett and nicoledoula like this

#4 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

I know a chap whose now got true binocular NV, he’s seeing stuff better than ever before. I wonder if the “seeing less” may be in the wallet domain. Good thing I got a club meet in around a week... your teasing is likely to do no good to the weather the week after... we’ll all be seeing less ;-) Any hints/teasers?

Peter
  • jrbarnett likes this

#5 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:38 PM

2.3X bino or binoviewing with UHC filters?  Bino EAA?

Two comments.

(1) Interesting.

(2) Not what I had in mind, but, by the ruler, potentially.

See the risk of asking compound questions?  :grin:

Your perspicacity deserves a reward...

https://www.cloudyni...-1547314501.jpg

I must give credit for the initiative behind this effort, CNer Enkidu, and his selected manufacturing partner.  I'm just along for the ride, and to blab about the results.

Mum's still the word though a bit of Fluffy is now out of the bag.

Best,

Jim

• nicoledoula likes this

#6 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

Looks like Fluffy is a kitten.... unless you don’t mind seeing a lot less ;-) Personlly I prefer FDM!

PEter

#7 Corona Non Grata

Corona Non Grata

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:00 PM

Legend M but in 10x42?

• jrbarnett likes this

#8 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:57 PM

You shaved today? and the guy in your avatar pic is now beardless. lol.

• jrbarnett likes this

#9 opticsguy

opticsguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:22 PM

Have not got a clue, just simply waiting . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

#10 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:31 PM

Have not got a clue, just simply waiting . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Me too!

Note that there is a HUGE hint - almost a reveal - in the link I posted five posts up.

Just as soon as the moving force behind this effort, CNer Enkidu, and I have the prototypes in hand, and a chance to use them a bit, we'll share more information, pictures and some initial use impressions, weather permitting.

Best,

Jim 

#11 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:39 PM

Now we have to wait for the weather? ohlord.gif

#12 Grimnir

Grimnir

Viking 1

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:51 AM

'selectively seeing less' surely refers to a filter - presumably Jim is building filter holders.

Graham

• jrbarnett likes this

#13 garret

garret

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:33 AM

1.1/4" Viewmaster with built-in filterwheel?

#14 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:01 AM

Filter wheel.... now there is an idea....

PEter

#15 Corona Non Grata

Corona Non Grata

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

Hmm. Get an eye exam  machine and load it with barlows/reducers and filters.

#16 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

Seems like custom dew shields which can also hold filters of various sorts...

#17 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:52 PM

So, all good speculations.  Project Wild Man is the brainchild of CNer Enkidu (Google it if you don't know your Mesopotamian mythology) and the manufacturing and prototyping talents of Harry Siebert.  Enkidu kindly invited me to tag along given that he FILTER ADAPTERS would come in a two pair set.

These are objective end slip on filter adapters proto-typed for the Aculon 7x35.  I'll try mine on both the Aculon and Action EX 7x35s, though the Action EXs are a little smaller in barrel diameter so I'll use adhesive felt shimming.

I picked up two 2" Orion Skyglow filters (current Korea versions) for a very reasonable $59 each.  I may also add a second 2" Celestron UHC (I have one already; it's narrower than the Skyglow but still quite broad).

If our experimentation goes well, I will probably work with Harry to develop a version for 50mm barrels and think through a "clever" attachment mechanism.  (I would really like a twist ring/varibale ID adjustment, to accommodate a larger range of barrel diameters.).

Also depending on results and outcomes Siebert optics may consider broader commercialization.  But the cart is now before the horse.  Justin and I got payment confirmation today and expect the units to ship to each of us tomorrow.  My weather is pretty bad right now.  Justin is in Amsterdam.  His may likewise not be so nice, but at least we're progressing towards reportable results.

More to come.

Best,

Jim

• Crow Haven, Tyson M, CAAD9 and 2 others like this

#18 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

If Harry Siebert is building these for you, I'm sure they'll come out very well.

I like the idea of a basic unit sized to fit 50mm binos that can be adapted to fit smaller binos.  Even a range of low-tech dense foam inserts could be made to adapt to smaller diameters.  Perhaps these could work with some roof binos also but IPD issues with 2" filters and irregular shaped barrels could be problematic.

Rich

• jrbarnett and Crow Haven like this

#19 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:59 PM

If Harry Siebert is building these for you, I'm sure they'll come out very well.

I like the idea of a basic unit sized to fit 50mm binos that can be adapted to fit smaller binos.  Even a range of low-tech dense foam inserts could be made to adapt to smaller diameters.  Perhaps these could work with some roof binos also but IPD issues with 2" filters and irregular shaped barrels could be problematic.

Rich

I'm thinking about 50mm adapters that double as dew shades, in which the filters thread in from the objective side rather than the deeper (less finger clearance) shaded "sky side".

I kind of like your notion of a standard single-size adapter with add-on barrel diameter sub-adapters to accommodate a large spectrum of binocular barrel diameters.

Other things I want to try include swapping filtered and unfiltered adapters between my two eyes (my eyes aren't the same), using different filter types on different eyes, etc.

I'm also going to see about fitting the 35mm adapters on my Vixen SGs.

Regards,

Jim  

• Crow Haven and terraclarke like this

#20 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:49 PM

It just started raining here.  Of course.  So while we wait for the adapters to arrive, and wait for the weather to cooperate, I'd like get some feedback from you on a similar 50mm project.

Specifically I'd like to collect the barrel ODs for a bunch of currently available (and vintage if you got 'em) 50mm binoculars.  I have or have access to the following 50mm binoculars that I can measure:  7x50 Zeiss Jena Binoctems, 7x50 Carton Adlerblicks, 7x50 Nikon OceanPros, 10x50 Orion Vistas, 10x50 Fuji Polaris, 10x50 Nikon Aculons and 12x50 Nikon Action EXs.

If you get a chance, please share the barrel ODs and make/model of any 50mm binoculars you have.  It will help determine a baseline ID for the 50mm adapters.

Best,

Jim

• terraclarke likes this

#21 Pezdragon

Pezdragon

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bay Area, Ca.

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:14 AM

Here’s two oldies,

BU. Aero  U.S. Navy  Mark 21      7x50    2.560”  (65mm)

Jos. Rodenstock  ROBRA jagd.  10x50   2.284”   (58mm)

• jrbarnett likes this

#22 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

the manufacturing and prototyping talents of Harry Siebert

That would be a deal ender for me.

#23 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:46 PM

That would be a deal ender for me.

Being happy or unhappy with Sibert's products is one thing and it has to be based on each of our respective experiences with those products.

My experiences with Siebert's products have been positive (several different eyepieces over the years) so I am pretty favorably disposed.

No business bats 1000 so I acknowledge that you may have had a different experience, and therefore have a different perception of the company.

That said, it's not like there are machinists with optics experience lining up to do custom work for eccentrics in a niche hobby who want widgets that, at best, will appeal to a tiny percentage of niche participants.  Ergo I am glad that there's someone with enough hobby-specific knowledge and who is willing to devote the time to prototype something so unlikely to be a gold mine.

For that I am grateful.  Harry is taking one for the team here.

Best,

Jim

• Crow Haven, rockethead26, terraclarke and 4 others like this

#24 Simon B

Simon B

Apollo

• Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:47 PM

You are in for a treat, 'tis great fun... : )

maximum objective size you could use with standard 2" filters is about 46mm - I use dual Optolong 2" UHCs. If anyone else is thinking of doing this, the Optolongs are a great way to go since they are so cheap, and the quality is very consistent

I have custom-made 2" filter adapters for my Prostaff 8x42, Visionking 5x25, Vixen SG 2.1x42, and even a pair of 'zero-power' filter spectacles : )

Now, Optolong do make a 77mm and even an 82mm UHC filter, getting a pair of those in front of some 11x80s would be next-level  watching.gif

Edited by Simon B, 31 January 2019 - 09:48 PM.

• jrbarnett and Enkidu like this

#25 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:15 PM

There's a package from Siebert here on the kitchen table.

It's raining, of course.  I'll do a formal unboxing and take some pictures to illustrate the fitment using my 7x35 Aculon and if I have felt shims on hand (I think I do) the 7x35 Action EXs as well tomorrow.  Justin's filter adapters  are in Florida awaiting trans-Atlantic shipment to Holland.  He'll probably get them Monday.

I reckon one or the other of us will get a first light early next week, unless I luck out and get some suckerholes over the weekend.

Best,

Jim 

• terraclarke likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics