•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can you buy Meteorites Online?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Observer200

Observer200

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Europe

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:33 AM

Hello, I found out some company selling some rock and claim it's real meteorite, 

ttps://www.amazon.com/Small-Genuine-Meteorites-Approx-Years/dp/B008L35FP8

Could I find a better trusted resource to be able to buy some piece of meteorite online do you think?

Edited by Observer200, 27 January 2019 - 03:49 AM.

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:17 AM

Someone around here, Eastern UK, sells them and that is his businness and interest, so he is very safe/reliable. He gives talks as well but they can wander off topic.

Person is David Bryant and web site is: http://www.spacerocksuk.com/

No idea of the others are appear via  search but he should be fine.

If I recall his stuff is available via FLO (First Light Optics).

• Observer200 likes this

#3 Observer200

Observer200

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:27 AM

http://www.spacerock.../lunarmars.html

How could they sell Mars rocks?

#4 beggarly

beggarly

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:24 AM

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:59 AM

Moved to Space Rocks for better fit.

There is a very long time meteorite dealer that is a member here.  He is very honest & trustworthy.  Here's Mike's website:

http://galactic-stone.com/

• Glassthrower, ShaulaB, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#6 Observer200

Observer200

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:42 AM

Is this real meteorite? how do they sell 7 gram pieces for so cheap?

https://www.amazon.c...words=meteorite

#7 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Is this real meteorite? how do they sell 7 gram pieces for so cheap?

https://www.amazon.c...words=meteorite

That is a Campo del Cielo iron. It's fairly common as far as meteorites go. Going market rate on those is about .50 cents per gram retail. This one probably costs a bit more because it's been fashioned into a pendant.  :)

#8 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:22 PM

Yes, the legitimate vendors will sell you meteorites with provenance at a fair price. You might want to visit a library and read up on meteorites before choosing something to buy.

Why anyone would buy a specialty item from Amazon has me confused.

#9 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

There's pieces of Chelyabinsk meteorite in the classifieds

#10 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:19 PM

Buying from a dealer with a good reputation assures that you get an actual meteorite.   Buying from unknown individuals or Amazon or eBay; maybe, maybe not. A dealer that's a member here, is a double bonus, such as Mike.  

#11 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:49 PM

I got all mine online. I used 3 sources. Galactic Stone quoted above, www.meteoritemarket.com and http://www.kdmeteorites.com 

KD has very nice $$$$ stuff. So does Meteorite Market. Galactic stone has nice but smaller samples but also less costly.

#12 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:16 AM

Buying from unknown individuals or Amazon or eBay; maybe, maybe not. A dealer that's a member here, is a double bonus, such as Mike.  

Please do not dismiss eBay as a source of legitimate specimens. There are many dealers there with a long and unblemished record of selling authentic meteorites. As with any listing on eBay, check the record of the seller. eBay does very little about fraudulent items in general, but if considering buying from a seller who sells only (at least mostly) meteorites, has been doing so for years, with nothing but positive feedback, you're pretty safe. When buying from anyone, anywhere, without a well regarded reputation, you need to educate yourself about the material in question. Know what the real thing looks like and how it should be priced. And yes, Mike is highly recommended.

Lee

#13 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

Please do not dismiss eBay as a source of legitimate specimens. There are many dealers there with a long and unblemished record of selling authentic meteorites. As with any listing on eBay, check the record of the seller. eBay does very little about fraudulent items in general, but if considering buying from a seller who sells only (at least mostly) meteorites, has been doing so for years, with nothing but positive feedback, you're pretty safe. When buying from anyone, anywhere, without a well regarded reputation, you need to educate yourself about the material in question. Know what the real thing looks like and how it should be priced. And yes, Mike is highly recommended.

Lee

As are you,

https://www.ebay.com...lee1414&_sop=10

and the Big Kahuna.

https://www.ebay.com...on&LH_PrefLoc=2

!!

Edited by mark8888, 28 January 2019 - 11:26 AM.

• lee14 likes this

#14 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:03 PM

Thank you mark8888!

Lee

• mark8888 likes this

#15 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:12 PM

Thank you mark8888!

Lee

An easy call, I bought a couple of great ones from you a few years ago.  Including a space rock very similar to the 23g Canyon Diablo on sale now.  One like that belongs in every collection.  grin.gif

• lee14 likes this

#16 Observer200

Observer200

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:16 PM

meteroids look so nice, thank you everyone. I didn't know Space Rocks category existed before I posted, I took your time but I have more knowledge now.

#17 Observer200

Observer200

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

Now let's see if my wallet can handle it lol.gif bow.gif

• jrbarnett likes this

#18 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:46 PM

meteroids look so nice, thank you everyone. I didn't know Space Rocks category existed before I posted, I took your time but I have more knowledge now.

Feel free to post pics of anything you may be considering, it's better to lose out on a sale than to buy something in haste that turns out to be bogus. The piece at Amazon is certainly a Campo del Cielo as mentioned above. It is an example of material commonly referred to as a Campo del Cielo crystal, and is generally obtained by cooling a large specimen in liquid nitrogen and shattering it with a sledge hammer. Large Campos can still be found for 20 cents per gram, so while this technique can certainly be profitable, it's not exactly elegant.

Lee

#19 Observer200

Observer200

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

can we say thsi is %100 meteorite? Like, it's not a stone that he found somewhere and believes it's a meteorite? :D

http://www.kdmeteori...tesForSale.html

#20 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

I brought many meteorites from KD and their stuff is authentic. I have some Mundrabilia from them. But I'm surprised you didn't get this one ;)

http://www.kdmeteori...ce399.3gms.html

• Observer200 likes this

#21 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

These would be genuine. They look just like Mundrabillas would be expected to look, and if you cut one open, polished and etched the surfaces, the Widmanstatten pattern characteristic of Mundrabillas would be revealed. The etch pattern itself (there's a section just on etched pieces at the site) itself is diagnostic of iron meteorites in general. The pattern is a result of two different nickel-iron crystal species, formed as the parent body cooled slowly over millions of years. It's not something that can be duplicated artificially. Most, but not all, iron meteorites display the pattern, with the relative amounts of nickel and iron largely determining the appearance.

Lee

#22 Observer200

Observer200

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:25 PM

If I was in United States, I would go search meteorites myself for hours with second hand equipment. I don't know if it's possible to find some in my country, or how hard it is... I want something that I could at least carry in my pocket. R.I.P. to my wallet :D

I will research later, about where exactly could they be found. It sounds like searching Dinosaur fossils...

#23 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

If I was in United States, I would go search meteorites myself for hours with second hand equipment. I don't know if it's possible to find some in my country, or how hard it is... I want something that I could at least carry in my pocket. R.I.P. to my wallet laugh.gif

I will research later, about where exactly could they be found. It sounds like searching Dinosaur fossils...

Meteorites fall every where. You can go to Russia and search for Sikhote Alin or Chelyabinsk. Cheaper to fly to Morocco and search the desert, any black rock in the desert would have a possibility of being a meteorite :)

#24 Kent10

Kent10

Aurora

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:22 PM

Just keep in mind, after your 1st, you won't be able to resist buying more.  Like eating potato chips.  It is an amazing adventure, if costly.

#25 justfred

justfred

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:17 AM

What are some good books/websites/podcasts/other references to begin my education on this?

Thanks,

Fred

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics