•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can you buy Meteorites Online?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:53 AM

Rocks From Space by Richard O Norton is probably the best single book to start with.

Lee

• hfjacinto and justfred like this

#27 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

On ebay  , isn't this slag?    

A meteorwrong?undecided.gif

Listed pretty cheap , with "certificate of authenticity"& display box .

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 1-29-19 at 1.27 PM.jpg

#28 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:34 PM

It looks like the Campo del Cielo 'crystals' I previously described. Put up the link and I'll take a look.

Lee

#29 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

Yes Lee , without my readers I missed page one of the thread.

I would have guessed slag , looks like a magnetic piece I found which local rock  & mineral club said my specimen is NOT a meteorite ,  Why no fusion crust on the Campo del Cielo example ?     New to rocks here. 

https://www.amazon.c...YN06J471VRHKTTD

#30 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

It's almost certainly a Campo del Cielo 'crystal'. There is an enormous amount of material from this fall, so Campos are among the least expensive meteorites. Very few irons lack a true fusion crust, most have an oxidized surface layer sometimes referred to as such, but weathering has long since removed the original crust. There are exceptions, notably Sikhote-Alins; but not the 'shrapnel' pieces, and new or recent falls. The piece for sale wouldn't have any type of crust or patina because it's from the interior of a larger meteorite. 

Lee

• Stardust Dave likes this

#31 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

Seriously? "Absolutely Massive 30 to 60 Gram Campo del Cielo Meteorite!"

30-60 grams is MASSIVE? I wonder what my 1 kilo campo is?

post-64219-14074257637845_thumb.jpg

• lee14 and Observer200 like this

#32 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the explanation / education on the Campo "crystal"     That pic above, # 31  - huge specimen.

Edited by Stardust Dave, 29 January 2019 - 08:30 PM.

• lee14 likes this

#33 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

If I was in United States, I would go search meteorites myself for hours with second hand equipment. I don't know if it's possible to find some in my country, or how hard it is... I want something that I could at least carry in my pocket. R.I.P. to my wallet laugh.gif

I will research later, about where exactly could they be found. It sounds like searching Dinosaur fossils...

I think Campo Del Cielo is a nice rock yo have pieces of.  It's plentiful (literally tons of material has been collected so far), it is "typical" of its type - beautiful, dense, hefty nickel and iron, often with interesting features like thumbprint gouges, flow lines, etc.).

That makes it easy to find commercially, in all sized chunks, and comparatively cheap compared to rarer finds.  What it's not is a great investment - supply and demand favors finds of lesser supply as investment grade meteors.

I have a buddy who is a swordsmith.  He works all kinds of metal into edged weapons for historical re-enactment, the entertainment industry and collectors.  I've been talking with him about supplying him with a bunch of meteoric iron and having him incoporate it into a blade for back country camping and hiking.  He's an artist, and we're both Sci-Fi and especially fantasy nuts, so the idea would be something functional but also not out of place on Thoth Amon's sacrificial altar deep beneath the pyramids of the Sygian desert.  The care and feeding of "Iron Age" tools is much more demanding than modern era metalwork, but that's half the fun.

Tut's sky-iron decorative dagger:

https://en.wikipedia...ric_iron_dagger

Best,

Jim

#34 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:43 AM

I think Campo Del Cielo is a nice rock yo have pieces of.  It's plentiful (literally tons of material has been collected so far), it is "typical" of its type - beautiful, dense, hefty nickel and iron, often with interesting features like thumbprint gouges, flow lines, etc.).

That makes it easy to find commercially, in all sized chunks, and comparatively cheap compared to rarer finds.  What it's not is a great investment - supply and demand favors finds of lesser supply as investment grade meteors.

I have a buddy who is a swordsmith.  He works all kinds of metal into edged weapons for historical re-enactment, the entertainment industry and collectors.  I've been talking with him about supplying him with a bunch of meteoric iron and having him incoporate it into a blade for back country camping and hiking.  He's an artist, and we're both Sci-Fi and especially fantasy nuts, so the idea would be something functional but also not out of place on Thoth Amon's sacrificial altar deep beneath the pyramids of the Sygian desert.  The care and feeding of "Iron Age" tools is much more demanding than modern era metalwork, but that's half the fun.

Tut's sky-iron decorative dagger:

https://en.wikipedia...ric_iron_dagger

Best,

Jim

A possiblity that has been discussed for the iron in that sword, and other ancient artifacts, is Gebel Kamil.  I wonder though why the ancients, to the present day (several years ago) would leave so much material there, including the main mass.  The central scientific paper written about Gebel is excellent but I'd love to read more, if anyone knows of a good source (besides the nytimes article and other shorts mentions on various pages) either scientific or archaeological please post smile.gif

#35 Observer200

Observer200

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Europe

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

IMG_2190.jpg

I love my meteorite :p. I am now checking Galactic Stone, has very interesting things. 

#36 Kent10

Kent10

Aurora

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

Very nice!

#37 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:37 AM

attachicon.gif IMG_2190.jpg

I love my meteorite tongue2.gif. I am now checking Galactic Stone, has very interesting things. 

Nice! Is that Sericho?

#38 Observer200

Observer200

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Europe

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:10 AM

Yes

Nice! Is that Sericho?

• mark8888 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics