•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Monthly Observing Challenges for February

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 larryjh

larryjh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Marriottsville, MD, USA

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:53 AM

I was finally able to capture Juno last night.  I found a nice asteroid finder site: https://asteroid.lowell.edu/astfinder/.  Here is a screen capture of the location of Juno at the time of my observation last night:

Juno Lowell Asteroid Finder.jpg

Here is my capture of the same area of sky.  I centered my goto on 45Tau (HIP 19554).  5x4 sec, 300 gain, rotated to match the finder chart.

Stack_21frames_84s frame1.jpg

• nic35, Rickster, Stargazer3236 and 6 others like this

#27 cshine

cshine

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:55 AM

Had another go at NGC1514 last night, this time with a 6.3 reducer on the C8. Observing conditions where poor and I had to push the histogram into some very noisy territory to get any detail. The complex shell patterns within this PN were likely caused by a companion orbiting the primary star and initially I made the newbie mistake of thinking I had resolved this smaller companion - but sadly no, doing my homework this morning it seems that the pair is far too close to split optically, having a ~9yr orbital period

~100 x 13s exposures @ 395 gain:

Capture.JPG

Closeup.JPG

• Ptarmigan, Rickster, saguaro and 5 others like this

#28 BurningChrome99

BurningChrome99

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:21 PM

Took another shot at NGC2683, UFO Galaxy. Removed the focal reducer on this attempt. Omni XLT 150 (N), ZWO ASI224MC, CG-4. 61 five second exposures at gain 250. Still learning.

Also took 300 twenty second exposures at gain 100 and post processed in Pixinsight, those images are in my gallery.

Stack 61frames 305s WithDisplayStretch

• Ptarmigan, nic35, Rickster and 4 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics