•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Andromeda's Parachute; again!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 happylimpet

happylimpet

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:09 AM

There are already some good images of this gravitationally lensed multiple quasar on CN, but here's mine! I think it might be marginally the sharpest Ive found so far.

This is 1857x2second with a Baader 610 longpass filter, drizzled. This represents approx the best 50% of subs.

3x enlargement inset at lower left.

AndPara-610-3_lflat_itgsharp-linear-inset.png

The components are a little over 1" apart from each other, so nice to resolve them and see all four images; I used iterative gaussian sharpening in FITSWORK for this.

This is at a redshift of 2.377, so light travel time of ~11 Billion years.

12" f5 Newtonian with 0.73x ASA reducer and ASI1600MM, ROI'ed to 1600x1200.

It wasnt even a great night seeing-wise, so better might be possible!

Edited by happylimpet, 31 January 2019 - 11:13 AM.

• Ptarmigan, John Miele, Gregory and 12 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

Amazing! smile.gif

• happylimpet likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

EXCELLENT! I (plan to) try to see (literally) that with my 36-inch telescope using Night Vision... not sure if I will succeed, but this helps. The Night Vision is also exquisitely sensitive at longer wavelengths, which should help immensely.   Tom

• happylimpet likes this

#4 WadeH237

WadeH237

Soyuz

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:56 PM

EXCELLENT! I (plan to) try to see (literally) that with my 36-inch telescope using Night Vision... not sure if I will succeed, but this helps. The Night Vision is also exquisitely sensitive at longer wavelengths, which should help immensely.   Tom

I spent some time last year looking through someone's 28" (if I remember the scope correctly - no NV, though), but I could not make it out.  I would think that a 36" with night vision would work pretty well.

I also wanted to comment that this is the best image that I've seen of this object.  Fantastic!

• happylimpet likes this

#5 happylimpet

happylimpet

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, I would have thought it wouldnt be TOO hard. It showed up in the 10second subs.

#6 quazy4quasars

quazy4quasars

Vostok 1

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:18 AM

Wow!  The "A" component is rather brighter in your image than in others I've seen. Compared to "B" and "C" it really stands out. Perhaps the others were more saturated? That's an inspiring image. Great work!  I've resolved it in 25" on one occasion, but it can be seen in smaller scopes. It's easy to see as "not quite stellar" in 17.5" though not resolved (yet) due to less than perfect Fall and Winter seeing.  I've showed it to some College level Astronomy classes and they are "blown away" by what that little dot truly is, and Thrilled to be able to see it for themselves in the eyepiece:  It's an amazing universe. 

Edited by quazy4quasars, 18 February 2019 - 12:56 AM.

• happylimpet likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics