•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX70: $199

Meade mount
  • Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#326 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Mariner 2

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

The drive arrived an hour ago (UPS) from Scope Essentials in British Columbia, the price shipped was $78.12 USD.  No customs charges.  Double boxed, plenty of packing materials and all the parts were there.  Mounting hardware and tools included. Nice instructions ...  pictures and words!

About ten minutes to install it, seems to work fine.  Will know for sure the first clear evening. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the only screw-up in the design of the mount, is the inability to disconnect the cable connection at the motor without removing the motor assembly cover.  I'd be a little peeved if it were necessary to do this often, but since I can't see any need to do so, I probably won't lose any sleep over it.  

The hand box has an on/off switch, north/south switch & reversible 2x and 8x sidereal speed buttons.  A green LED lights up when the box is turned on and becomes red when any of the buttons are pushed.  Tomorrow I'll swing by Lowes and pick up some heat shrink tubing to run the power and hand box cables through.  Should dress things up a bit and prevent dangling cables from catching on other 'stuff'. It's powered by 4 D-cell batteries in pouch that hangs where ever you decide to put it.  I have mine hanging beneath the eyepiece tray/spreader at the moment.

I'll post a picture in the next day or two.  

Here's the single axis drive on the LX-70 (supporting an AT102ED). As mentioned above, I added 1/2" heat shrink tubing to the power and hand box cables.  I also glued a hook to the top of the hand box, something that really should have been designed into the system.  Works well under the stars.  Good value for the money and good service from the dealer.  All is right with the world.  

Attached Thumbnails

• RA drive2.JPG

Edited by Pat Rochford, 12 June 2019 - 01:22 PM.

• terraclarke, clearwaterdave, brentknight and 1 other like this

#327 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:18 PM

Pat.,that looks good..,neat an tidy.,Doesn't that 102 just "belong" on this mount.,.I was out last night with this pair.,I used a Baader zoom most of the night.,tooo much fun.,

• Jaimo! likes this

#328 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Mariner 2

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

Pat.,that looks good..,neat an tidy.,Doesn't that 102 just "belong" on this mount.,.I was out last night with this pair.,I used a Baader zoom most of the night.,tooo much fun.,

Thanks Dave.  Yes sir, these two will be together for as long as they live.  And this marriage was blessed by the bank!  

• terraclarke and clearwaterdave like this

#329 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Mariner 2

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:39 AM

What I did to solve the problem of not being able to disconnect the RA cable without removing the cover was I bent the metal arm holding the plug-in socket so the socket would line up better. I removed the socket and arm before bending and then just bent the arm a little with a pair of pliers. Took a couple tries but I got it to line up better so now I can plug and unplug it easily.

Reading your post kind of made me feel like Forrest Gump … "I'm not a smart man".  I don't know why this fix didn't occur to me, I usually figure these things out rather quickly.  At any rate, many thanks for the idea. 

It took me a few attempts as well.  Bending the bracket down just a bit placed the tab on the plug in the clear, but at the same time it forced the plastic cover out just enough to catch the RA locking knob as that shaft rotated.  Several 'adjustments' later I finally hit on the right amount of bending and twisting for everything to be as it should.   

• clearwaterdave likes this

#330 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:56 PM

Between the badly placed screw and the unreachable plug.,the motor cover is pretty much a pain on this mount.,I'm sure glad the rest of it is so darn nice.,.lol.,

Thanks again to the OP for the heads up.,and to Terra for the thumbs up.,waytogo.gif .,

• terraclarke likes this

#331 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

The mount is basically very good, but the smaller things like the motor cover and alt az knobs colliding make me think this was a design quickly thrown together to make use of existing parts, etc. Apart from that, I am very pleased with the purchase and believe a few simple workarounds can mitigate some of the shortcomings. So far I’ve replaced the alt az knobs with some nicer ones from ADM (but it doesn’t totally eliminate the crashing into each other.) I also placed a small chrome flat washer under the screw head for the plastic motor cover to give it a bit more support.
  • terraclarke likes this

#332 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:40 AM

Does anyone know if the LX-70 will accept a CGE dovetail bar? I'm guessing it won't, but I thought I'd ask since I just bought a used OTA with that type of mounting bar. Trying to confirm I need to order a CG-5 dovetail bar to replace it.

#333 Astrodave

Astrodave

Apollo

• Loc: Centreville, Va. USA

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:19 AM

No, these vixen/cg5 clones always come with vixen style saddles which are much smaller width than the CGE/Losmandy rails. ADM might make a replacement saddle for it but it would be more than half as much as the mount itself.

• AhBok likes this

#334 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:55 AM

No, these vixen/cg5 clones always come with vixen style saddles which are much smaller width than the CGE/Losmandy rails. ADM might make a replacement saddle for it but it would be more than half as much as the mount itself.

That's what I figured. I'll order a V-type rail since that is only $30.

#335 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:05 AM

I just did a short tracking test just cuzz.,I put Rigel under the crosshairs in a 23mm ep and tracked for 45 mins. It was still right behind the x.,

My test was to see if by just using the 2 marks I put on the deck for the tripod would be good enough to just set the scope on and go without checking level and polar alienment each time.,I think I'm good to go.,lol.,

I mostly will track if I want to view one thing for a while.,like luna or a planet at high power.,or when sharing the view.,which is not very often.,Gotta go shut it off.,got it on luna now.,cheers.,enjoy your day.,

• eros312 likes this

#336 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 30 September 2019 - 04:26 PM

Here's another, reasonably economical approach to improving the LX70 saddle.  The saddle plate (in the first picture below) can be had for about $36 on eBay, and the white dovetail plate was included with the mount.  

Two bolts connect the parts together, and the notch in the dovetail plate makes for a very secure, nonslip attachment.

I've used one of these saddle plates on another mount, and have found they hold my C8 very securely.

Best regards,

Paul

Nice clamping jaw. My only problem with this solution is that you are raising the scope’s center of gravity about an inch. Not a problem with a small, light OTA but becomes incrementally more of a problem the heavier the scope gets.

#337 groupoid

groupoid

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:05 PM

That's what I figured. I'll order a V-type rail since that is only $30.

My mount actually came with a small V-type dovetail plate included.

#338 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted Yesterday, 09:37 AM

Side question - will an LX70 fit on a 3/8-in standard photo tripod? 

I put my TW1 on a Manfrotto and much prefer it over the stock Synta (?) tripod.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics