•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Distant Galaxies and Clusters

dob dso observing sketching
  • Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#176 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:20 AM

I have not observed that many near 3 billion light years.  I covered the main ones that I recall in the thread about it and they are all massive galaxies.   I go past 2 at times when I start targeting some of the dimmer Abell clusters or if they happen to be in the field, but I really haven't kept track of them as a class. There was one recently at a little under 1.75 billion light years, PGC 200336. tucked between another pair with another gx forming the group VV129 in Hercules.  The PGC runs somewhere in the 17+ g mag range. 

Edited by Redbetter, 09 September 2019 - 05:21 AM.

#177 quazy4quasars

quazy4quasars

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern Sierra Foothills, CA.

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:13 PM

I have not observed that many near 3 billion light years.  I covered the main ones that I recall in the thread about it and they are all massive galaxies.   I go past 2 at times when I start targeting some of the dimmer Abell clusters or if they happen to be in the field, but I really haven't kept track of them as a class. There was one recently at a little under 1.75 billion light years, PGC 200336. tucked between another pair with another gx forming the group VV129 in Hercules.  The PGC runs somewhere in the 17+ g mag range. 

Yeah, these suckers are darn faint.  I keep wanting to try for a little further, but I find I need ideal conditions to have even a hope of a (mostly direct) view of anything around or beyond z~.2... maximum contrast and high-power seeing both required.  Next up for me is  SDSS J215541.97+123128.5  (Ogle 0023) BCG of Abell 2396- at z~.193 - when I get back "up the hill", along with a (barely) direct sighting of A2261, hopefully...   meantime, I'm revisiting deep QSOs (easier) and soaking up Summer Milky Way splendors (easier and prettier!), anyway, thanks Red.  Sure hoping the smoke holds off. 

We'll see...

Edited by quazy4quasars, 09 September 2019 - 04:06 PM.

#178 Knasal

Knasal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:25 PM

I use Naglers, typically 9T6 or 7T1 and if the seeing is good enough and the target small enough, a 5T6 or 3-6 TV zoom for the most distant targets at 2 to 3 billion light years.  I could probably use an 8mm...there are times when going from the 9 to the 7 is a little beyond what conditions really support. 

Can you tell us the magnification you get with the 9T6 and 7T1 in your 20”, and whether you use a TV Paracor with them?

What would Mag be with the above EPs if that’s the case?

Thanks, just trying to compare with my setup.

Kev

#179 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:32 AM

With my scope the mags are: 9mm = 278x, 7mm = 357x, 5mm = 500x.  6mm (in zoom) = 417x. 

I don't have a Paracorr. 

I use 278x most of the time for galaxies since my dark sites will typically support that.  When they don't I will use the 11 for 227x, or even a 13 for 192x if it is particularly bad (the latter is usually limited to winter observing in the Valley.)

For the most distant galaxies and smallest cluster members I will go as high as seeing permits but 357x is a typical limit on a decent night, perhaps 500 or more during the most stable time of the year at my more stable site. 

When I say "when the seeing supports it" I am referring to the level of blurring/flaring/rapid focus movement that renders the smallest/dimmest galaxies nearly indistinguishable from 16, 17, or 17+ mag stars...or pairs or trios of the same.  If the seeing is several arc seconds further magnification only increases the moving blur and it is hard to distinguish a bloated dim star from a the semi-stellar core of a galaxy that is itself is perhaps 10 arc seconds across. 

#180 quazy4quasars

quazy4quasars

Ranger 4

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:49 AM

I'd add that (less than ideal) seeing and LP sky glow (less than ideal transparency) both place effective limits on the usable magnification for these most distant and reddened BCGs: When faint stars become "Fuzzy Li'l Nuthins", the already really dim and very small real  FLNs (the barely visible BCG cores) begin to become mere INs -"Invisble Nuthins"; -they're never very far from that threshold. Even in a very dark sky, in great seeing, they are (those featuring AGNs excepted) close to the practical limit of visible scotopic SB contrast - For me they are, anyway- cool.gif    

Edited by quazy4quasars, 10 September 2019 - 01:23 PM.

#181 NGC7702

NGC7702

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:37 PM

Hi All,

In terms of "normal" galaxies (ie not QSOs) a possible target for southern hemisphere observers with very large telescopes is ESO 146-8 near the Indus/Tucana border. I haven't had a crack at it as yet but will do so in the next couple of months with my 25" f/5. It has a nice set of nearby marker stars that should make identification of the precise location pretty easy. My observing site in central NSW, Australia typically has SQM-L readings near zenith of about 21.7 - 21.8 this time of year on moonless nights. Even so, I think it would be pushing the edge of the envelope.

ESO 146-8 has a B mag of +16.7  coupled with V(km/s) +48400 [~] / z(~) 0.176884 [~] implying a look-back time in the order of 2.2 Gyr (assuming a Hubble constant of 71.5 kms/sec/Mpc).

http://simbad.u-stra...ubmit=submit id

It is found only a couple of high-power fields away from the somewhat brighter but still very distant ESO 146-5 (I have seen ESO 146-5 in my 18" f/4.9) that has a B mag of 15.75, V(km/s) +28711 [99] / z(~) 0.10083 [0.00033] and therefore resides probably about the 1.3 Gyr look-back time.

http://simbad.u-stra...ubmit=submit id

Best,

L.

Hi All,

I can add that I was successful in observing ESO 146-8  on 25th September 2019 with my 63.5cm f/5 at x260 and x347. The observing note follows:

x347: Very to extremely faint and tiny -- probably no more than 15" diameter if that spot of V/LSB ephemeral mist with no visible internal brightening. No structure visible. Can be glimpsed with A/V every several seconds. Must pinpoint location exactly. Not visible at x196, detectable but less certain at x260.

I might also add that following on upon that successful sighting, several days later using a friend's 50cm f/5 at x277 (different, but similar quality observing site) we were able to detect it at x277 at least several times per minute.

I had previously observed ESO 146-5 (which is one of the, if not the most massive galaxy in the "local" Universe) with my own 46cm f/4.9 at x185. I observed it again and the note follows:

x185: Very small to tiny and very faint spot of mist about 15" diameter 1.5' SE of a magnitude 12.5 star than can be just held continuously using A/V. Consistent S.B halo, no other visible structure.

ESO 146-5 weighs in about 30 trillion solar masses and is the dominant galaxy in AGC 3827.

Best,

L.

• quazy4quasars and Luca Brasi like this

#182 quazy4quasars

quazy4quasars

Ranger 4

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:51 PM

Hi All,

I can add that I was successful in observing ESO 146-8  on 25th September 2019 with my 63.5cm f/5 at x260 and x347. The observing note follows:

x347: Very to extremely faint and tiny -- probably no more than 15" diameter if that spot of V/LSB ephemeral mist with no visible internal brightening. No structure visible. Can be glimpsed with A/V every several seconds. Must pinpoint location exactly. Not visible at x196, detectable but less certain at x260.

I might also add that following on upon that successful sighting, several days later using a friend's 50cm f/5 at x277 (different, but similar quality observing site) we were able to detect it at x277 at least several times per minute.

I had previously observed ESO 146-5 (which is one of the, if not the most massive galaxy in the "local" Universe) with my own 46cm f/4.9 at x185. I observed it again and the note follows:

x185: Very small to tiny and very faint spot of mist about 15" diameter 1.5' SE of a magnitude 12.5 star than can be just held continuously using A/V. Consistent S.B halo, no other visible structure.

ESO 146-5 weighs in about 30 trillion solar masses and is the dominant galaxy in AGC 3827.

Best,

L.

I wish, that for just even one night per month, the Earth really were flat. Then we all could see those behemoths.

I'd give my eye teeth to see them in my big scopes!  But- the eye teeth market is saturated.  A3827, A2744 etc; and some great QSOs, not to mention all the glories of the Southernmost reaches of the Milky Way and the 3 best Globulars in the whole sky!  Darn Spherical Earth!   At least we have the internet for the pics. But you're there, mate. Lucky Dog!  How I envy you.

Edited by quazy4quasars, 02 October 2019 - 10:52 PM.

• NGC7702 likes this

#183 sgottlieb

sgottlieb

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay area

Posted 03 October 2019 - 06:35 PM

There were a number of quite distant Galaxies (Super Spirals and BCGs) that I didn't manage to attempt this Spring due to weather and my dark sites being snowed in;  All are low surface brightness and generally they need to be attempted near their culmination, under decently dark skies: Now many are falling into the West; and the Summer -the inner- Milky Way is rising to its late Summer prominence. 

For those who are smitten with the Deep Galaxy bug and want to get a jump on the ones on the other side of the Milky Way, through the Southern Window, I offer this small selection: Some of these are 10-12" and up, others are more like 18-20" class, but dark sky is the main limiter of course:  These are among the most likely visually detectable at such distance; complied from multiple catalogs. You can check CDS, NED, HyperLeda for details:  

PGC 188874

PGC 97447
PGC 1480586
PGC 1013135
PGC 71834
PGC 1008418
PGC 97456

Fall is coming...Happy hunting!

I thought I would follow up on a few of your suggestions at last week's central California star party (CalStar) at Lake San Antonio.  Both transparency (SQM 21.4-21.5) and seeing were off from previous years, though dark enough to easily surpass the 1 billion l.y. threshold with my 24" Starstructure.

PGC 97456 in Aquarius and PGC 71834 in Pisces have similar redshifts (z = .083 and .084) and light-travel times of 1.1 billion years.  PGC 97456 is the BCG (brightest cluster galaxy) in the Abell cluster 2448 and PGC 71834 is the BCG in the SDSS cluster [GMB2011] 1462.  Although their listed magnitudes are similar (about V = 14.5), I found PGC 97456 more prominent (visible continuously), despite being nearly 10° further south.  But I logged PGC 71834 as larger (~0.3' diameter) than 97456 (~0.2' diameter).

LEDA 188874 is also in Aquarius and well placed this time of year.  This one is over a magnitude fainter (B mag close to 17) and quite small.  At z = .137, the light-travel time is ~1.8 billion years.  It only popped intermittently for me, though the galaxy is partially "masked" by a mag 15.7 star only 20" NE.  The position was pinpointed using a nearby galaxy (CGCG 375-048) 8' E and 9th magnitude HD 204738, a similar distance NE.  LEDA 188874 forms the southwest vertex of an equilateral triangle with these two objects.

As far as distant galaxies, I also took a look at IC 1757 = LEDA 174458 in Cetus, which was discovered visually by Barnard, probably with the 36-inch refractor at Lick.  Its redshift is similar to the first two, so tops the 1 billion year threshold.  This galaxy is just 1.5' east of IC 1756 = UGC 1429, a faint (but brighter) edge-on that lies in the foreground.  The SDSS image of the pair is here.  HyperLEDA and SIMBAD don't recognize the IC designation, but NED does.

• lambdaw098, quazy4quasars and NGC7702 like this

#184 Luca Brasi

Luca Brasi

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

So I'm gearing up for my yearly trip to Utah and Bortle 1 skies!  I've been thinking about purchasing a TV 11mm Plossl for the faintest of the fuzzys.  I use 100 degree eyepieces and a Coma Corrector, and Ive only used cheap plossls. 

Do you think a premium Plossl without a Coma Corrector would noticablely improve light transmission over my current setup?

#185 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

So I'm gearing up for my yearly trip to Utah and Bortle 1 skies!  I've been thinking about purchasing a TV 11mm Plossl for the faintest of the fuzzys.  I use 100 degree eyepieces and a Coma Corrector, and Ive only used cheap plossls. 

Do you think a premium Plossl without a Coma Corrector would noticablely improve light transmission over my current setup?

No.  You might go from 94% to 98%, about a 0.03 magnitude improvement.

That is likely less than the difference in the sky from moment to moment.

My last time out I was looking at a galaxy somewhere in the middle 15th magnitude range with an Ethos eyepiece

and I popped in a Delite (which has really insanely good contrast) to see if I could see it better.

Nope.  And the extra need for constant nudging drove me nuts, so I went back to the Ethos.

And your scope has an even longer focal length than mine.

The gain in light grasp with a simpler eyepiece, which is what is needed, isn't sufficient enough to help at all.

A sky with high transparency is what matters.  A large aperture scope is what matters.  Eyes very sensitive to light are what matter.

Concentrate on maintaining the best night vision you can to see deeper.

--don't use any lighting of any kind.  Cover all red led lights with tape.

--don't look at the night sky with your observing eye.

--block all peripheral light at the eyepiece, with hands, hood, lightshield, whatever.  Since you own the 9mm 120°, you're already used to doing this.

--look at a black cloth on the ground until you can see wrinkles in it, then move to the eyepiece immediately

--be at least 15 minutes after looking at the sky or using a light of any kind.

--if you use DSCs, turn off the screen

--use the eyepiece with the rubber flipped up

By doing all that, you can gain a half magnitude.  That's like having an eyepiece with only a 63% transmission versus a 100% transmission, a situation that doesn't exist.

Edited by Starman1, 25 January 2020 - 02:07 PM.

• Mark SW, starzonesteve, RazvanUnderStars and 2 others like this

#186 Luca Brasi

Luca Brasi

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:36 PM

Thats some great info.  I will need to try the black sheet method next time.

I've been a bit bothered by the glass sandwich which is my 9mm 120 degree.  It's an amazing eyepiece for the Veil and Orion Nebulas, and galaxy clusters.  But I was a bit dismayed by it's performance on Bodes Galaxy.  I could barely see it's arms with the 9mm 100, but no arms were visible in the 120.

I ended up selling the 100 degree and keeping the 120 (which has become my most used eyepiece)!  Part of me wonders if it is the lack of field stop or the extra glass that made the difference??? 

I decided to get the 11mm TV Plossl.  Mainly because I'm a gear head and would like to look through one of these legendary eyepieces!  

#187 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:35 PM

Thats some great info.  I will need to try the black sheet method next time.

I've been a bit bothered by the glass sandwich which is my 9mm 120 degree.  It's an amazing eyepiece for the Veil and Orion Nebulas, and galaxy clusters.  But I was a bit dismayed by it's performance on Bodes Galaxy.  I could barely see it's arms with the 9mm 100, but no arms were visible in the 120.

I ended up selling the 100 degree and keeping the 120 (which has become my most used eyepiece)!  Part of me wonders if it is the lack of field stop or the extra glass that made the difference??? 

I decided to get the 11mm TV Plossl.  Mainly because I'm a gear head and would like to look through one of these legendary eyepieces!  

I've not measured the transmission of the 9mm 120°, but I see the same thing you do--transmission seems to be lower than other hyper-wide eyepieces.

I suspect it's the 12 lenses in 8 groups (16 air-to-glass surfaces), coupled with average multi-coatings and a few percent loss simply due to the number of inches of glass passed through.

• Luca Brasi likes this

#188 Pcbessa

Pcbessa

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Forres, NE Scotland, UK

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:15 AM

I am now back into galaxy season.

I haven´t seen that many galaxies during autumn months as I was delighted testing my new 10" Dob across the summer skies.

Yesterday I remembered to had a new look into the Andromeda Parachute quasar, at 11 Billion light years!

And I am please to say that I confirmed indeed my observations from last year, using my 10" Dob.

The quasar is still very faint and only seen with averted vision at times, and only after adapted night vision (after 10min or so).

300x makes the observation possible. At 600x it wasnt visible as the quality of image degraded seriously. Less than 300x, and the quasar becomes very difficult to observe.

The quasar is quite tightly close to the magnitude 12 star (seems to be around 10-20") which makes the observation hard due to its glare. I could also see other 3 faint stars (mag 14.5-15) near this magnitude 12 star. For this quasar its absolutely impossible to resolve anything more than a very faint stellar point with my 10". Already spotting it is hard and the proximity to the bright star adds to the challenge.

The night had acceptable transparency but far from perfect. I was in my rural Bortle 4 place, so it must be easier from the Bortle 2 skies I have half an hour from here. I also started exploring Abel 426 in Perseu again. I saw more galaxies there, but overall its difficult to see more than 10 or 15. Galaxies fainter than magnitude 14 were quite hard to spot.

Next plan is to explore the cluster in Cancer.

Edited by Pcbessa, 28 January 2020 - 04:16 AM.

#189 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

I am now back into galaxy season.

I haven´t seen that many galaxies during autumn months as I was delighted testing my new 10" Dob across the summer skies.

Yesterday I remembered to had a new look into the Andromeda Parachute quasar, at 11 Billion light years!

And I am please to say that I confirmed indeed my observations from last year, using my 10" Dob.

The quasar is still very faint and only seen with averted vision at times, and only after adapted night vision (after 10min or so).

300x makes the observation possible. At 600x it wasnt visible as the quality of image degraded seriously. Less than 300x, and the quasar becomes very difficult to observe.

The quasar is quite tightly close to the magnitude 12 star (seems to be around 10-20") which makes the observation hard due to its glare. I could also see other 3 faint stars (mag 14.5-15) near this magnitude 12 star. For this quasar its absolutely impossible to resolve anything more than a very faint stellar point with my 10". Already spotting it is hard and the proximity to the bright star adds to the challenge.

The night had acceptable transparency but far from perfect. I was in my rural Bortle 4 place, so it must be easier from the Bortle 2 skies I have half an hour from here. I also started exploring Abel 426 in Perseus again. I saw more galaxies there, but overall its difficult to see more than 10 or 15. Galaxies fainter than magnitude 14 were quite hard to spot.

Next plan is to explore the cluster in Cancer.

Finder charts:

http://www.faintfuzz...a Parachute.pdf

The combined brightness with the lensed galaxy is about red mag.14.4.  Green magnitude 14.63, V magnitude 14.5-14.8 (estimates)

Here is a thread with data:   

https://www.cloudyni...eep-sky-hounds/

Much info in that thread.

If you weren't seeing galaxies fainter than 14, it's very lucky you could see the lensed quasar.  It's due to its "stellar" size.

Years of observing show me that if a galaxy has any size at all, it'll have to be 1-2 magnitudes brighter than a star to be visible.  My stellar limit is close to 2 magnitudes fainter than my galaxy limit.

Quasars are a different beast, however.  They are much easier to see at cosmological distances.

Edited by Starman1, 28 January 2020 - 11:26 AM.

#190 Pcbessa

Pcbessa

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

Yes, to me, galaxies seem comparable to stars that are 1-1.5 magnitudes fainter

With my 10":

Galaxies:
Mag12.5 slightly faint, seen easily and most times with averted vision
Mag13 faint, still easy, seen most times with averted vision
Mag13.5 quite faint, popping up on and off with averted vision. Examples include some of the brighter members of Perseu A cluster.
Mag14 very faint, seen only occasionally with averted vision
Mag14.5 mostly invisible, seen rarely with averted vision. IC1101 is an example (but under Bortle 2 skies, I have seen this galaxy popping on and off, about half of the times with indirect vision)
Mag15.0-15.4 faintest galaxies I ever saw. Like the brightest 3 in Abell 2065 Corona cluster. Very hard, seen only under excellent Bortle 2 skies and well adapted night vision

Stars
Mag12.5 easily visible, somehow bright
Mag13 easily visible, not that bright
Mag13.5 slightly faint, and seen better with averted vision than directly
Mag14 faint, seen always and easily with averted vision
Mag14.5 quite faint, popping on and off with averted vision
Mag15 very faint, seen only sometimes with averted vision (but I had occasions where I hold constantly in sight mag15 stars, in Bortle 2)
Mag16 mostly invisible, seen rarely with averted vision.
Mag16.0-16.3 faintest stars I ever saw. In NGC206 star cloud in M31 (but these are casual observations, I haven´t try to activity push this my limit)

As Andromeda parachute quasar is seen as a 14.4 stellar point, it is within the limits of a 10" under good dark skies.

The challenge is the need to employ high power (300x) in order to darker the sky and increase the separation from the mag12 star.

Because of the proximity to the star, it looks about 0.5 magnitude fainter than it actually is, behaving like a mag15 star.

Edited by Pcbessa, 28 January 2020 - 03:50 PM.

• Astrojedi and Luca Brasi like this

#191 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:39 PM

With my 10":

Galaxies:
Mag12.5 slightly faint, easy, seen mostly with averted vision
Mag13 faint, still easy, seen most times with averted vision
Mag13.5 quite faint, popping up on and off with averted vision
Mag14 very faint, seen only occasionally with averted vision
Mag14.5 mostly invisible, seen rarely with averted vision
Mag15 faintest galaxies I ever saw. Like some in Abell 2065. Very hard, seen only under excellent skies and adapted night vision

Stars
Mag12.5 easily visible, somehow bright
Mag13 easily visible, not that bright
Mag13.5 slightly faint, and seen better with averted vision than directly
Mag14 faint, seen always and easily with averted vision
Mag14.5 quite faint, seen always with averted vision
Mag15 very faint, popping on/off sometimes with averted vision
Mag16 mostly invisible, seen rarely with averted vision
Mag16.3 faintest stars I ever saw

A very good summary. Pretty much mirrors (no pun intended) my experience with my 10" Dob from my SQM 21.6 club dark site.

#192 Pcbessa

Pcbessa

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:49 PM

Quazy4quasars, with a 10", any other ideas for other interesting distant quasar targets?

I thought of trying B1422+231 in Bootes but I do not have a star chart for it.

How about Einstein Cross or the Double Quasar, can these be spotted as a single unresolved stellar point at the threshold of visibility with a 10" aperture? If they are magnitude 16 or 16.5, they are theoretically visible, especially if I drive to a Bortle 1 spot, but anything fainter than that, and they would be out of question for my Dob. My sense is that they are far beyond the reach of my scope.

Last spring, Abell 2065 in Corona (4 galaxies seen), PGC46931 in Ursa Major (Abell 1738), PGC37477 in Leo (Abell 1413) and PGC23645 in Lynx (Abell 655), were my furthest and faintest galaxies seen, at 1.5 or 1.8 billion light years.

But I also enjoy staying within 500 million light years, as galaxies are much brighter. 

Currently I have been exploring Perseu A (counting now 19 galaxies seen)

Last year I have seen also: Leo A (28 galaxies seen), Abell 262 (3 galaxies) and Abell 347 (2 galaxies) in Andromeda, Abell 779 (1 galaxy seen) in Lynx, Coma cluster Abell 1656 (20 galaxies seen), Abell 2197  (5 galaxies), Abell 2067 and Abell 2162 (2 galaxies) in Corona Borealis, Abell 2151 (5 galaxies) and Abell 2199 (2 galaxies) in Hercules

Wishlist: Abell 671 (600M ly) and Abell 690 (1 B ly) in Cancer, Abell 1689 Virgo (2 B ly), Abell 2061 in Corona Borealis, Abell 2152 in Hercules, Abell 2147 in Serpens.