•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2019 Stellafane Convention

star party
  • Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#76 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:47 AM

….Something I noticed this year was that there seemed to be many more ladies and young folks on the hill than back in the day....

I have one long-time "astro friend" who is the father of triplet girls. I remember them at Stellafane years ago as three cute little infants in a 3-chair walker - being pushed around by mom while my friend sat with his ATM scope in the contest! Today - lucky for me - only one of the three (now 16 years old) is interested in astronomy and accompanies her dad to Stellafane every year. I'm lucky because - if all three were there - I'd never be able to connect the right name to the right triplet!  ;)

• Augustus likes this

#77 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

George,

Thanks for all the photos!!  A real nice recap of the event.  

Something I noticed this year was that there seemed to be many more ladies and young folks on the hill than back in the day.

It was nice to get away from the 'boys club' aspect of the old days, and makes it an event that we can more successfully suggest to our wives and kids that attending might just be fun.

Yep. On the hill I observed with my new friends Jackson and Anton who are both 15 - and both possess big Dobs (14.5" & 10)! There was also a teenage girl who presented her spectroscopy research with her dad. Sure hope they all get on CN soon!

• George N likes this

#78 kw6562

kw6562

Authoritative Ignoramus

• Loc: MA

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

Hey Dave.... I also had the wondrous 4 stars of M-73 in the Obsession 20 too - right after M-72! I remember twisting your arm to look at it!  wink.gif

I think you also saw that barely-there NGC glob that my NexusDSC said was magnitude 15.1 - it was dim, but the Obsession 20 pulled it out of the sky and into the eyepiece.

All in all, 2019 was a good year! ...as mentioned earlier in this tread, my 25th in a row!

The only bad news.... the new and pretty good food vendor announced that this was his last year (and third). He is retiring - so the STMs will again have to find a new food vendor.

Here is a link to my way-too-many (115) photos in a Flickr Album; feel free to add a comment on any of them, particularly to identify yourself or your telescope: https://www.flickr.c...157710125151322

Thank you so much for posting this link!  I didn't get a chance to take any pics during the competition and I'm waiting for a couple of friends to share theirs. "IMG_6602" is a photo of my feeble entry, a GEM that I modified to make a Porter mount.  --Keith

• George N likes this

#79 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

Nothing feeble there!!  That is a very cool build of a porter-type mount!!  I definitely spent some time checking out your work.

• George N and kw6562 like this

#80 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:42 PM

You must be thinking of someone else, George.  I wasn't around to see the NGC globular and wasn't unwilling to take a look at M73.

• George N likes this

#81 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

Here is a link to my way-too-many (115) photos in a Flickr Album; feel free to add a comment on any of them, particularly to identify yourself or your telescope: https://www.flickr.c...157710125151322

Great pictures! Thanks! I wish I had taken more pictures myself, I think I was too busy just doing stuff this year.
  • Dave Mitsky likes this

#82 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

I was able to get my OO pin this year!  grin.gif​  For a while, I thought I wasn't going to finish. Saturday night started off threatening to be dew soaked and cloudy. There were even some rumbles of thunder nearby and flashes of lightning. But, as the night wore on, the skies cleared and I was able to keep the dew at bay just by running my fan.  From the OO list, I was able to log (in Sgr) NGC 6520, 6522 and 6528 (two globular clusters right next to each other), NGC 6760 and 6804 in Aquila, and 6791 in Lyra. I tried for objects in Cygnus, but they were in Dobson's hole so I gave up. I finished with Mu Cephei (Herschel's garnet star), NGC 7789 (Caroline's Rose) and NGC 404 (Mirach's Ghost) to complete 16 to qualify for the pin! Wohoo!  woohoo.gif 

The observing list is a great idea.  Many of these objects I had never seen before, so for me it was a real treat.  I went to Larry Mitchell's talk Saturday afternoon, which was excellent.  It gave me some background information to think about while observing these objects.

Just thinking back on it: 3 consecutive clear nights (some better than others, but clear enough to observe) was just amazing. Tough to beat the weather this year!

#83 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:09 AM

I was able to get my OO pin this year!  grin.gif​  For a while, I thought I wasn't going to finish. Saturday night started off threatening to be dew soaked and cloudy. There were even some rumbles of thunder nearby and flashes of lightning. But, as the night wore on, the skies cleared and I was able to keep the dew at bay just by running my fan.  From the OO list, I was able to log (in Sgr) NGC 6520, 6522 and 6528 (two globular clusters right next to each other), NGC 6760 and 6804 in Aquila, and 6791 in Lyra. I tried for objects in Cygnus, but they were in Dobson's hole so I gave up. I finished with Mu Cephei (Herschel's garnet star), NGC 7789 (Caroline's Rose) and NGC 404 (Mirach's Ghost) to complete 16 to qualify for the pin! Wohoo!  woohoo.gif

The observing list is a great idea.  Many of these objects I had never seen before, so for me it was a real treat.  I went to Larry Mitchell's talk Saturday afternoon, which was excellent.  It gave me some background information to think about while observing these objects.

Just thinking back on it: 3 consecutive clear nights (some better than others, but clear enough to observe) was just amazing. Tough to beat the weather this year!

I've done "Larry's List" every year since he started this at Stellafane! In fact I keep the old ones to return to for observing again from home and other sites. Many of those objects make interesting if "obscure" imaging targets too. While I had seen maybe 2/3 of this year's objects before - it had been a long time on most of them since the last time they were in my eyepiece.

All-in-all, "The Hidden Gems of Stellafane" observing list makes an great addition to the event. ….but I do still observe M-13, the Cat's Eye, Veil, etc...…  ;)

Alas, I missed doing the Phil Harrington's binocular list again this year - but I'll do it maybe in September from my Adirondack camp.

• Dave Mitsky, Slartibartfast and John O'Hara like this

#84 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

Alas, I missed doing the Phil Harrington's binocular list again this year - but I'll do it maybe in September from my Adirondack camp.

Unfortunately, me too. I tried to bring the binoculars along with the P-mount and tripod, but my van was getting so loaded up, I couldn't fit it in (wife and kids pack too much, but, what can you do? shrug.gif ).  I went to his talk though, which was really good.  But, yeah, I have his list, maybe I will give it a try from my back yard or my roof once the Moon clears out.

• George N likes this

#85 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

This year's BOO pin is quite different from those in the past and is rather attractive.

Dave Mitsky

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019 Stellafane OO Pins IMG_0240 Processed CN.jpg

• George N, JNDiller and Augustus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics