•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: Sharpless 2-301

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:48 PM

While a few of Sharpless's entries, such as Sh2-25 (better known as M8, the Lagoon Nebula) and Sh2-49 (M16, the Eagle Nebula), are well known to visual observers, most are among of the most challenging objects to see visually.If you have never made a concerted effort to see some of the lesser known Sharpless objects, then this challenge, Sh2-301 in Canis Major, is a good introduction to the sport.

Click here to view the article
  • Astrojensen likes this

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

Uh - this one's getting a little low for me. Still going to give it a go, though.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• PhilH likes this

#3 micromaxcomputer

micromaxcomputer

Lift Off

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for sending me on this challenge! I wheeled out my 12" Meade LX200 classic with an Orion ED80 on top, added this as a user object put in the RA and DEC and gave it a shot. Using a ZWO ASI174MC camera with a 0.7 focal reducer and Astronimik CCD CLS filer I was disappointed to not see anything unusual on my laptop screen with 90 sec exposures and gain at 270. so I only took about 20 exposures and moved on to something that I thought would be more rewarding. And since I live under Bortle 8 skies (North East New Jersey, only 16 mile to Times Square) I figured this elusive challenge object was a bust. But once I processed my images (only in DSS) and this nebulosity appeared in front of my eyes I was truly amazed. So thank you as being able to see this in the sky glow on New York City give my passion a little more excitement.

Sh2 301

• PhilH likes this

#4 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for sending me on this challenge! I wheeled out my 12" Meade LX200 classic with an Orion ED80 on top, added this as a user object put in the RA and DEC and gave it a shot. Using a ZWO ASI174MC camera with a 0.7 focal reducer and Astronimik CCD CLS filer I was disappointed to not see anything unusual on my laptop screen with 90 sec exposures and gain at 270. so I only took about 20 exposures and moved on to something that I thought would be more rewarding. And since I live under Bortle 8 skies (North East New Jersey, only 16 mile to Times Square) I figured this elusive challenge object was a bust. But once I processed my images (only in DSS) and this nebulosity appeared in front of my eyes I was truly amazed. So thank you as being able to see this in the sky glow on New York City give my passion a little more excitement.

Amazing what can be done thanks to the magic of post-processing, isn't it?  Nice capture!

• micromaxcomputer likes this

#5 hokkaido53

hokkaido53

Viking 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted Yesterday, 10:19 PM

Sh 2 301 Emission Nebula in Puppis

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics