•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How cool is observing with binoviewers?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:23 PM

Egg-zackly !!! Could not agree more...

CS

Bob

I've tried squinting with the binoviewers in the telescope, then I open my other eye and it's like "ahhhh yes, there it is". Just so much better with both eyes IMHO.

Another cool thing that someone can do if they don't mind squinting with just one eye, is to have a lower power eyepiece in one side, and a higher power eyepiece in the other side, and you could go back and forth for two different magnifications without having to change eyepieces.  laugh.gif

#27 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:54 PM

From what I have seen, two eyes compensate for that loss. Things are brighter with two eyes, from my experience. 

It's also a lot more more comfortable with two eyes. My nights of squinting with one eye are over.

I agree about the comfort but I've never seen anything in a BV that I couldn't see in monoview.  I have  however seen thing in monoview that weren't visible in BV's

Glad it works so well for you, just doesn't work that way for me.

Still love the BV's but not exclusively.

• Bob4BVM and BGazing like this

#28 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:48 PM

I agree about the comfort but I've never seen anything in a BV that I couldn't see in monoview.  I have  however seen thing in monoview that weren't visible in BV's

Glad it works so well for you, just doesn't work that way for me.

Still love the BV's but not exclusively.

Is that on the same scope, used cyclops & BV ?

I would certainly expect that on some objects due to light loss in BVer.

But not on objects like moon, planets, very bright nebula, where BVing wins for me every time, given the same scope.

Now, dimmers stuff like most DSO's, absolutely, they need the light grasp.

That is where a scope for each eye shines. The couple opportunities I have had to observe thru large bino-scopes have confirmed the value of binocular vision for me. Just a whole 'nother experience :)

CS

Bob

#29 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:29 PM

Bob, Yes I was referring to Globular/Open Clusters and Planets.

Luna for me is amazing in BV"s and alone worth the price of admission.

Also IME larger Aperture is less susceptible to the dimming of BV's.

So where I find M13 far better in monovision in an 8" SCT, I don't feel the same when looking

through a 14" or 16" OTA.

• Bob4BVM likes this

#30 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:28 PM

Bob, Yes I was referring to Globular/Open Clusters and Planets.

Luna for me is amazing in BV"s and alone worth the price of admission.

Also IME larger Aperture is less susceptible to the dimming of BV's.

So where I find M13 far better in monovision in an 8" SCT, I don't feel the same when looking

through a 14" or 16" OTA.

I don't see much of a light loss on globulars, unless they are dim. I also prefer open clusters in the BV'er unless they are so big that a monoview with a  W I D E  field of view is needed. After squinting for many years with one eye, I find it a lot more relaxing using two eyes.

Faint galaxies are better with one eyepiece / less glass, but my days of searching for a super dim object are also over. I just find it unsatisfactory to search for such things lately. I've grown more fonder of binoculars with a zero gravity chair and using my telescope to look at fairly bright objects and use two eyes more than one eye now.

My own personal preference!  

Edited by Miranda2525, 07 March 2019 - 08:29 PM.

• junomike likes this

#31 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:31 PM

Is that on the same scope, used cyclops & BV ?

I would certainly expect that on some objects due to light loss in BVer.

But not on objects like moon, planets, very bright nebula, where BVing wins for me every time, given the same scope.

Now, dimmers stuff like most DSO's, absolutely, they need the light grasp.

That is where a scope for each eye shines. The couple opportunities I have had to observe thru large bino-scopes have confirmed the value of binocular vision for me. Just a whole 'nother experience smile.gif

CS

Bob

I love using two eyes now as well Bob!   When I go back to using just one eye, it's a bit of a letdown. 

• Bob4BVM likes this

#32 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:39 PM

I met a guy at our astronomy club meeting last night and he has 17 telescopes and never looked through a binoviewer! Wait until he looks trough mine in his 114 fract!....Doomed!

• Bob4BVM and Miranda2525 like this

#33 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

I met a guy at our astronomy club meeting last night and he has 17 telescopes and never looked through a binoviewer! Wait until he looks trough mine in his 114 fract!....Doomed!

Yup ! lol.gif 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics