•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Kinesis Alt/Az mount- back on track for production!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jag767

jag767

Kinesis Custom Machining and Refinishing

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:09 AM

Well, it took a lot longer than I had planned, but for anyone that remembers, I had come up with a little gem of a mount, just to fall short in the ability to produce them in house (really didnt want to outsource to China). I am happy to say my in house machining capabilities have taken a major turn for the better, and making small batches of my mounts is now possible.

Additionally, I've now had over a year of use on my own prototype, and am pleased to say it is still going strong. I continued to refine the design, to where it is configured a hybrid quad bearing design, with friction adjustments on both axis. The mount can be fitted with a guide handle, as well as an accessory mount adjacent to the dovetail mount, which is currently in development. Personally i like this to hold my phone while panning around, but an eyepiece tray could be fitted as well.

I will post updates with pricing and availability of these mounts, and will take some photos/videos of them in operation. For anyone who didnt catch them the first time around, here is some highlights. 

2" 6061 billet aluminum construction

Hybrid bearing design incorporating rolling bearings, and delrin plain bearings for friction adjustment

Capable of supporting 100mm f7 refractor (personally tested with AT106 for over a year) minimal vibration with high mag EPs, settles in well under a second.

Max tested payload 25 lbs.

These will be going into production as units are ordered, no presale numbers to hit, as they will be made 100% in house. Custom application requests are welcome.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions, i will do my best to answer everything I can. 

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20190202_050327.jpg

• Sol Robbins, zjc26138, sixtysomething and 2 others like this

#2 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:53 AM

You should consider an encoder integration, maybe using the cheap, very small but effective AMT-102V encoders (8192 steps with quadrature).

http://www.astrodevi...AMT102 Encoders

Have a look at the AYO II encoder installation

http://www.aokswiss....ain_ayo_ii.html

Edited by Riccardo_italy, 02 February 2019 - 05:59 AM.

#3 jag767

jag767

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2019 - 06:32 AM

You should consider an encoder integration, maybe using the cheap, very small but effective AMT-102V encoders (8192 steps with quadrature).

http://www.astrodevi...AMT102 Encoders

Have a look at the AYO II encoder installation

http://www.aokswiss....ain_ayo_ii.html

While is a great idea, and something i can incorporate in a future model should enough interest arise, that wouldn't be possible to add into this design. Also, as I am trying to keep this mount as inexpensive as possible, the additional machining/labor/materials would jump the price up quite a bit.

The main features i am looking to exemplify in this mount is its ability to handle a large/heavy payload in relation to its size, with smooth operation, whilst having maximized its adjustability and serviceability.

#4 ratnamaravind

ratnamaravind

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:59 PM

What’s the price point you are targeting?

#5 jag767

jag767

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:37 PM

What’s the price point you are targeting?

Looking to have it at $399 per mount, including a panning handle and phone mount or eyepiece holder 

• Jon_Doh and ratnamaravind like this

#6 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

That sounds great; have followed the topic and will be eagerly reading updates.

#7 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:59 AM

I’m glad you’re back. I was interested last time. I want a light weight travel option that is a bit more refined in its operation than the DSV-M I’m currently using. So I will keep following your progress.

#8 jag767

jag767

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:38 PM

Thanks gents. Going to order some aluminum this week, will do a batch of 10 to start. Anyone interested should message me, 4 are spoken for. Since i was asked, yes, i can make these from brass, copper, or other materials for a fee. Can also do different finishes. Depending on the material i would suggest clear powdercoat. I have enough equipment now to handle most special requests.

#9 jag767

jag767

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:10 PM

I should also mention i have a 2nd design, a little more robust for those who need heavier payloads, which I am wrapping up. Quad roller thrust surfaces, 60% larger thrust areas, and a real beast. I tried to max it out and i dont have enough gear. I am inclined to believe it will hold a 150mm apo, although it would have to be tested. Certainly 130ish without issue.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics