•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Omegon Mini Track LX2 Review

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 c0ntact0

c0ntact0

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Lisbon, Portugal

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:00 AM

I have the LX2 version and mine also came in that configuration. I removed the hex screw and set the spring so that it worked like the manual. Resting in the 0 position. Since I did that it has tracked as it should. Not sure why it was like that. I’m in the northern hemisphere. So far I have been able to get 50 sec subs at 200mm on a mft camera shooting into the east. 

Thx for the replay Deadman2, do you notice any changes in the BPM after the modification?

#27 Deadman21

Deadman21

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM

Thx for the replay Deadman2, do you notice any changes in the BPM after the modification?

Not that I can tell but then again I didn’t measure. Before I did the mod it would not track correctly at all. The spring put tension in the wrong direction. Now it works great. I watched a video on CHRIS Facebook page where he disassembled the unit. That is where I noticed the spring orientation and decided to change mine. Prior to that I was getting very disappointed with the unit and almost sent it back. 

Edited by Deadman21, 22 July 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#28 c0ntact0

c0ntact0

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Lisbon, Portugal

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:04 AM

Thx Deadman21, I posted in the Omegon Minitrack facebook group and I'm getting feedback from Chris and others users with the same problem in the LX3.

#29 Deadman21

Deadman21

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:20 AM

Thx Deadman21, I posted in the Omegon Minitrack facebook group and I'm getting feedback from Chris and others users with the same problem in the LX3.

Thankfully its not that hard to fix.

#30 TheZ3roCool

TheZ3roCool

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Derbyshire, UK

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:58 AM

I love this tracker...so light weight. Took this 2 min eposure with Stock DSLR and 16-35 Tokina lens

MW9WINNER-XL.jpg

• Traveler, nicknacknock, project nightflight and 1 other like this

#31 runrob

runrob

Explorer 1

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:43 PM

It appears my Omegon LX2 does not run for 60 min. as advertised.  I set it by rotating the timing gear CW to the stop.  I hear the ticking but it only runs about 30 min. max. It never runs to the point the alarm sounds.  I have tried this both with and without my DSLR attached.  I am using a Canon EOS40D.  Is there an adjustment reset?  Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edited by runrob, 04 February 2020 - 04:57 AM.

#32 Omegon_Tassilo

Omegon_Tassilo

Vendor - Astroshop.eu

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Landsberg near munich

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:31 AM

It appears my Omegon LX2 does not run for 60 min. as advertised.  I set it by rotating the timing gear CW to the stop.  I hear the ticking but it only runs about 30 min. max. It never runs to the point the alarm sounds.  I have tried this both with and without my DSLR attached.  I am using a Canon EOS40D.  Is there an adjustment reset?  Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi Runrob,

have you tried setting the tension for the spring to a higher notch? Usually if the tracking stops early this is the reason why.

Clear skies

Tassilo

• runrob likes this

#33 runrob

runrob

Explorer 1

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:18 AM

I have tried them all.  I also posted this problem on the Omegon LX2 Facebook group and there are others who are having this same problem.  Maybe, there was a bad batch of them in production as other customers have had good results.  Evidently, either an adjustment is needed or the timer mechanism has failed.  What do you suggest as of now, all I have is a fancy “paperweight”?

#34 Omegon_Tassilo

Omegon_Tassilo

Vendor - Astroshop.eu

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:56 AM

Dear Runrob,

We will repair or change it for a new one of course. Did you contact our service about this? What was their response?

I wonder to hear that there are others having that problem, and I don´t know of it. I am taking care of our B2B sales team, but as a developer/designer I am also part of the Omegon Product Management, and I join the meetings. If we had a feedback that there is a problem with more than just one or two units, we would discuss and solve the problem. And we would test new production batches for that problem. Please send me a mail to tassilo.bohm@nimax.de, I will pass it on to our quality management and will have our service take care of your defective units.

We will attend NEAF again, and I don´t want to get stabbed in the back by unsatisfied customers ;-)

Clear skies

Tassilo

• runrob likes this

#35 runrob

runrob

Explorer 1

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:13 PM

Thank you so much for your timely response as it is greatly appreciated and shows your willingness to provide prompt customer service.  I will be sending you a personal email in the near future.

#36 Omegon_Tassilo

Omegon_Tassilo

Vendor - Astroshop.eu

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:17 AM

Thank you for contacting us. We contact you directly

@ all:

FYI - we had one batch where the spring was delivered in a position where it was not pre-loaded. If you encounter problems, this might be the cause. We have published a bugfix-video here:

https://youtu.be/jF7ONr1h-20

We can only help, if we know there is a problem. Please do not hesitate to contact us. We make those units ourselves, this is not a box that arrives from China and gets forwarded. We have our own facilities in Europe, where this product is made. So we can and will react to problems.

Clear skies

Tassilo

• runrob likes this

#37 Stille

Stille

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:01 AM

Hello!

Is there a guide for what point the spring should be tensioned at given the weight of the ball mount + camera + lens? I'd prefer not having to figure this out by trial and error.

Thank you!

• runrob likes this

#38 Omegon_Tassilo

Omegon_Tassilo

Vendor - Astroshop.eu

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:59 AM

There is no guide - this would not make sense, since the combination of possible cameras, lenses and the specific weight and the momentum applied to the LX2 due to the position of the center of gravity of that combination would be enormous. Just try once - this is not temperature sensitive, so you can try at home.

#39 Stille

Stille

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:59 AM

There is no guide - this would not make sense, since the combination of possible cameras, lenses and the specific weight and the momentum applied to the LX2 due to the position of the center of gravity of that combination would be enormous. Just try once - this is not temperature sensitive, so you can try at home.

Ok, but how do I figure out whether or not the mount is tracking accurately at home without doing a star test?

#40 runrob

runrob

Explorer 1

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:25 PM

After doing a repositioning of the tension spring as shown in the video, I as able to do a first light night run with my Omegon LX MiniTracker.  It was 20F so this is only a quick 60 sec. individual exposure after doing a quick polar alignment using my modified Canon EOS40D.  Much better results than the way it was working before.

Edited by runrob, 12 February 2020 - 04:26 PM.

#41 runrob

runrob

Explorer 1

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:30 PM

After doing a repositioning of the tension spring as shown in the video, I as able to do a first light night run with my Omegon LX MiniTracker.  It was 20F so this is only a quick 60 sec. individual exposure after doing a quick polar alignment using my modified Canon EOS40D.  Much better results than the way it was working before.  Thank you Omegon_Tassilo for the reference video link.

Edited by runrob, 12 February 2020 - 10:02 PM.

#42 Omegon_Tassilo

Omegon_Tassilo

Vendor - Astroshop.eu

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:29 AM

Ok, but how do I figure out whether or not the mount is tracking accurately at home without doing a star test?

We are talking about the problem, that the Minitrack stops tracking. This can be tested at home. Any fine tuning has to be done under the stars. However the need for such a procedure strongly depends on your application. If you are doing widefield work, you may never need it. If you want to test the limits of the the Minitrack can do with 300mm, it is a must.

#43 Cristian Fattinnanzi

Cristian Fattinnanzi

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:04 AM

There are many ways to test the speed of the Minitrack during its operation. The simplest in my opinion is to use the "TapTempo" app (for Android), which allows you to understand the frequency of the timer (by touching the green button at each "tick-tac" of the timer). Correct values are between 130 and 140 beats per minute. After a few nights spent using the Minitrack you will find that you will learn to judge by ear that the timer is working well, and you can adjust the spring to remedy and help the timer if needed. In case of still irregular operations, you can try the Minitrack even during the day and without any weight on it, if it does not run for 60 minutes without interruptions there is probably a problem in the timer. If you dismantle the timer (which is a single piece with the charge knob), be careful not to over tighten the small cross screw that locks the timer from below. Tightening too high can lead to timer malfunctions.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics