•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Chronicling the Golden Age of Astronomy: A History of Visual Observing from Harriot to Moore by Neil English

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

I just finished reading every chapter, all 660 pp....Golden Age is a true tour de force skillfully researched and executed - Thank You, Neil! I will continue to randomly re-read chapters to absorb more. The book-build is wonderful, profusely illustrated with superb quality figures and images.

Regarding the author's personal perspective and analysis: Readers should appreciate that the composition is, above all else... biographical! Therefore apropos that Neil's own personality shines through. If that piques some snowflakes' prejudices --- time to expand and celebrate the full rainbow of perspectives!    Tom

#27 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:46 PM

I just finished reading every chapter, all 660 pp....Golden Age is a true tour de force skillfully researched and executed - Thank You, Neil! I will continue to randomly re-read chapters to absorb more. The book-build is wonderful, profusely illustrated with superb quality figures and images.

Regarding the author's personal perspective and analysis: Readers should appreciate that the composition is, above all else... biographical! Therefore apropos that Neil's own personality shines through. If that piques some snowflakes' prejudices --- time to expand and celebrate the full rainbow of perspectives!    Tom

Yeah but Tom, if this is accurate then it illustrates a prejudice on Neil's part:

I am tired of the constant attacks not only on refractors but those amateurs who today would choose a smaller refractor over a larger aperture reflector and he gets downright personal in his attacks.

I know from personal interactions that this is in fact his perspective and it is disappointing that he would get personal in a book instead of just offering his arguments.  It is one thing to believe that an 8" (for example) reflector is better than a 4" APO.  It is another thing to get personal about the people that choose the 4" APO.   I'm not offended by his opinion.  He can think what he wants.   But I do find it annoying that he chooses to make such unnecessary personal attacks about my choice of telescopes - choices that fit my needs.  That does not make one a "snowflake".  I know what "snowflakes" are.  Many of the students I teach are snowflakes and I can't express my opinions on certain topics for fear of being hauled in and written up for offending the snowflakes.  Snowflakes can't handle the expression of an alternative opinion - even if politely expressed and logically argued.   Nobody posting on this thread is being a snowflake.   The objection is to rude characterization of the people that have a different opinion than Neil's.

#28 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:24 PM

It's 150 quid though. I could always wait for the movie I suppose. I won't sleep now until I buy it.

• Sarkikos likes this

#29 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:34 PM

Probably wait for the movie ...

• Sarkikos likes this

#30 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:17 PM

Don't you just love conspiracy theorists. The book says nothing of the sort but as you point out, you never read it. Looks like a simple case of prejudice to me. He's Darwin skeptic...but he's not alone these days. The latest science just doesn't support it. 

Yes and "these days" the Flat Earthers likewise have plenty of company.  The global increase in superstition, anti-intellectualism, bigotry and pseudo-science points more at a deteriorating culture than it does credible science.  The rise of fringe "science" is akin to populism in politics.

- Jim

#31 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:30 PM

Hi Otto.  What a nice, lovingly written review.  Well done!

- Jim

#32 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:53 PM

I'll enjoy the book again now! It doesn't bother me, in the slightest... that the author has opinions, and expresses them! Seems that rather recently, more and more people are just looking for reasons to feel insulted... choose to interpret any opinion that disagrees with their own as... a personal affront! I guess I just never fell victim to that; don't need a ~safe-space~.    Tom

#33 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:18 PM

I accept the fact that many individuals can have a modern, rational, logical, empirically-based view of some topics, and not so much when it comes to some others.  I see this nearly everyday in my own interactions with people.  It's the way that people - at least some people, probably many people - are.  Just don't expect a close connection to reality when they veer onto those other topics.  

How else can you explain that so many people still believe in astrology, homeopathy, dowsing, etc, etc?  Humans can be strange animals.  Rational and empirical thinking can be difficult.  Seems many people need a break from time to time.

Mike

• Shorty Barlow likes this

#34 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

We Aquarians have always been rational and empirical. 

• Sarkikos likes this

#35 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

Yes and "these days" the Flat Earthers likewise have plenty of company.  The global increase in superstition, anti-intellectualism, bigotry and pseudo-science points more at a deteriorating culture than it does credible science.  The rise of fringe "science" is akin to populism in politics.

- Jim

That depends on the populace.

Mike

#36 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:18 PM

- Jim

Is this something you have evidence is actually increasing ... or is it just that it is easier to find out about "fringe science" because the internet makes it easier for the practitioners to communicate their ideas?

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#37 starmason

starmason

Explorer 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:20 AM

Did a search and found a PDF of this book on BasShops for $15.99 so it can be purchased cheaply if wanted.  

#38 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:30 AM

I prefer real science to fringe science.  But which do I prefer in politics:  elitism or populism?  Hmmm … :thinking:

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics