•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

interstellarum Deep Sky Guide Desk Edition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Cash

Ray Cash

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 03 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

I’ve long preferred to have images—and/or drawings--of deep sky objects near my atlas, observing list, and, of course, my telescope. David J. Eicher’s The Universe from Your Backyard (1988) was an early, well-loved companion of mine, as was Burnham’s Celestial Handbook. So was the self-published 1994 John C. Vickers’ Deep Space CCD Atlas: North (and South). Vickers’ CCD atlases are images only, and rather primitive ones by today’s standards; but the atlases were not meant to be a compilation of ‘pretty pictures’; but rather a source of black and white images of interesting deep-sky objects that amateurs might want to hunt down with their warm, moist eyes, or sub-ambient-temperature imaging equipment.Enter the above masterpiece!

Click here to view the article
  • turtle86, ianatcn and rdwieting like this

#2 rdwieting

rdwieting

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:17 PM

I enthusiastically agree!  While a little pricey (to me anyway), both the Interstellarum Atlas and Guide are outstanding.  I use them routinely.  The satisfaction of high quality continues on long after the price is forgotten...

Bob W

• dswtan and Ray Cash like this

#3 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for your review!

I recently purchased the field edition of the Deep Sky Guide on Amazon.de for just over $100. You don’t need to know German; there’s an English version of the website.

Just wanted to mention this in case anyone else might be interested.

• Lindhard, astrofun, astrophile and 2 others like this

#4 robba

robba

Lift Off

• Loc: Navarre Fl

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:14 PM

nice review, looks like the field atlas you have is no longer in print as of Jan 2019....wonder if new version works the same with the guide?

#5 Ray Cash

Ray Cash

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:21 PM

robba,

Amazon seems to still be carrying both the Field Atlas and the Guide, at least with my "prime" account. A number of other AMZ 'partners' carry it new or used, too.

But, yes, on the publisher's page--Cambridge--it does say the Field Atlas is out of print as of January, 2019. . . Hopefully this is just a temporary glitch?

While I was checking on this, I discovered Ronald Stoyan (one of the authors) websites which have, among other things, a video of him presenting The Atlas:

http://www.deep-sky-...t=video_en.html

And here is a "preview" of The Guide before it went to the publisher:

http://visualastrono...deep-sky-guide/

--Ray

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics