•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Book: Remote Astrophotography Using Slooh.com - A Handbook

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Erikwest

Erikwest

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:48 PM

I have written and published a book that I think will be of interest to the community: Remote Astrophotography Using Slooh.com - A Handbook.

Slooh.com is a remote telescope service that offers its members the use of eight telescopes in two hemispheres.

Slooh.com is a great way to extend the number of observing nights available to you because their telescopes are located at great observing locations. Despite it being a shared service, the telescopes are not that busy. If you are flexible with your time, you can probably book your reservation the same night; however, if you book a night in advance, you’ll be able to get the timeslot you want.

I developed this book completely independently of Slooh.com - I’m just a satisfied customer since 2014.

I targeted “Remote Astrophotography Using Slooh.com - A Handbook” at those that are beginning to intermediate astronomers and the book is full of practical advice that not only tells you what to do but also why you’re doing it, helping you build a good foundation.

The book is divided into two broad sections: Mission Booking and Planning and Image Processing.

I have readers use a variety of freely available software including KStars, Fitswork, GIMP, and AstroImageJ. While you can certainly use Slooh.com without the software, your overall experience will be better with it - plus since the software is free, there’s no additional cost involved. The book explains in detail how to download and install the software.

All you need with this book is your computer, your curiosity, and a Slooh.com membership at the Astronomer level. 

I’m running a free promotion for the book between Wednesday, February 6, 2019, at midnight PST to Friday, February 8, 2019, at midnight PST. You’ll be able to visit the Amazon.com page and download the book for free during the promotional period.

If you do decide to read the book, I would appreciate that you leave a review.

I also make available sample chapters at the book’s companion website. I have a link from the companion website to the Amazon.com sales page.

Here’s the link to the companion website where you can also link to the Amazon.com page:

http://RemoteAstrophotography.com

Review copies of the book are available after the promotion ends - please contact me directly if you are interested in a review copy.

Thanks -Erik

• lambermo, sixtysomething and bsavoie like this

#2 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

Vendor-Explore Scientific

• Vendors
  • Loc: Locust Grove, VA, USA

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

Hi Erik,

I just downloaded your book and will read it and let you know my thoughts. As an author myself, I can appreciate the hard work you have put into this book even without reading it. It's really not about the return, it's about helping people in this hobby to have the best experience possible when starting out. I imagine you wrote this book from a personal perspective in that this is the book you would have wanted when you first started using SLOOH. That is what my first book was to me.

I wish you luck with your book, and I am sure you will sell a lot of them over time.

• Erikwest likes this

#3 Erikwest

Erikwest

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:33 PM

Slooh.com has undergone some big changes and with the changes, I published a new edition of the book (Remote Astrophotography Using Slooh.com - A Handbook). The other big change is that it's completely free to download!

The new edition's first half is almost completely new and includes sections like Quick Start, Understanding Slooh.com membership and how it fits into the hobby of astronomy, and a whole section on Viewing and Downloading images. The screenshots and workflows are also completely new.

The book is available now for free download at the book's companion website: http://RemoteAstrophotography.com

If you don't want to enter your email to get a copy of the book, just contact me directly though the forum and I'll arrange to get a copy to you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics