•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

All is well ....

NV
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nimitz69

nimitz69

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:54 PM

Got home a little too late tonight to setup my refractor to work on more imaging skills but plenty of time for a 15 min handheld NV session to ops check my device now that my new batteries have arrived ....

started out with the 25 mm f/1.4 cctv lens and and 685nm LP filter; M31, M45, M42 all easily stood out as nice bright objects at 1x. Clearly the device is working perfectly.  Switched out filters for the 7nm Ha and went looking for nebula.  Orion looked even better and although not much detail the flame and barnard’s loop clearly visible. Moving east the Rosette was amazing - first time seeing that actually -big and fairly bright.  Continued on and saw the Californi and heart & soul nebulas.  Not bad for a 15 min session.

I’ve only got to use the NV once with my 14” Dob and it was at an Outreach event so I spent the entire time on M15 ....  haven’t been able to use it with my new WO GT81 APO either ... our club has another outreach event this weekend at a fairly dark site and I’m torn as to which scope to bring ....

#2 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:13 PM

I’ve found for outreach that it’s fun to bring up a nebula in a phone app and show a picture and talk about it a little, then show them the nebula in context with a small scope. I pick large targets that will be available the night of viewing, then plan accordingly. The last time I did this I had a 120ST and my NVD Micro with 7nm Ha filter and .5x reducer. I had setup next to the organizer of the Star Party who had a 14” SCT and Goto and on the other side was a gentleman with an 80mm, mallincam and little table with a display. We all kind of went for Orion’s Nebula and the people there were pretty ecstatic going to the three setups. They really liked all views. California nebula was another fun one. Horsehead could only be seen by my scope and the mallincam. Too many extraneous lights for the 14” unassisted. 

I walked my scope three blocks slung over my shoulder with my pelican case in the other hand with NVd Micro and filters.

It it was a beach area public star party and parking was only good for those that showed really early. I arrived after dark. The 120ST rode on a photo tripod with adjustable center column and Stellarvue M2 mount with steering arm. Very easy to adjust height for different observers.

I think they thought my Pleiades view with a 640nm filter was the best out of the three setups as the framing was spectacular in the 120ST with reducer. Really cut out all the LP to bring out clusters well.

If you chose the 14”, it should be easy to do the same planning. Find the objects that really standout and make a little list to talk about and show them. If there are kids there, they love big scopes but having a little scope on easily adjusted tripod is nice for varying heights.

Outreach seems to get a lot of NV fans. I got a lot of questions about why the 14” with regular eyepieces wasn’t showing the nebulosity as well as my little scope. 

• cmooney91 likes this

#3 nimitz69

nimitz69

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:40 PM

yeah, during the last event even Club members were amazed at what M15 looked like with NV.  It was fairly low on the horizon and the other scopes were looking at orion.  One or two tried M15 but couldn't really see much.

The weather looks iffy for Saturday but if it holds Orion should be spectacular through the 14" w/NV & Ha ....

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:22 PM

Happy to hear that there was no problem with your device.   I could not imagine that leaving it on while in the case with the cap on would have damaged it..  So, good to hear that it is fine.

Have fun out there!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics