•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Request for those afocal users or WPT MOD3 users

NV
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:19 PM

Hello fellow NV enthusiasts. One of the long time contributors to this forum (Dragonman aka Ken) has, along with several others, a very nice astrovideo forum with a dedicated Night Vision section which I was asked to contribute to a few years ago. Peter Wang also has a link from his Night Vision Astronomy info website to this forum. I’ve been out of commission for observing for awhile but on the mend and taking it up again and noticed a lot of new info here.

Those using PVS-14’s with the TNVC/Televue adapter and some formula I skimmed over for figuring out focal reduction with eyepieces longer in focal length than the native PVS-14, UK info on Harder Digital or Photonis tubes and availabilty, MOD 3 with WPT tubes and variable gain, etc.

This kind of info would all be new to what I put in a few years back and some updates to the NV section would be great for a collected source of info. I also only use scopes 6” or less and camera lenses, so anyone adding info on use with big scopes and darker skies than mine would be great too. Of course additional info on small scopes would be appreciated too. The more, the merrier

Up to you to add how much or little you want to, but would be nice to expand the sections over there. Here is a link:

http://astrovideofor...er-night-vision

Its free to sign up and many members there also contribute here for camera use and near real-time setups. Very much a website with near real-time or real-time use in mind.

Thanks.

#2 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:50 PM

Had a few nights that were clear last week and then Sunday night as well. Was able to get my 120ST out and first night was all pvs-7. Second night was my AT72ED, pvs-7, and the NVD micro. Finally Sunday night I took out my pvs-4 with the big biocular eyepiece. Mostly spent time looking at the brightest available to me. Orion, HH and Flame, California, Rosette. All with my 3nm 2” Ha. Switched over to the 640nm bandpass for some sweeping through clusters around Sirius.

A couple hours was all I could do, but really was good to get back out. The variable gain on the gen 3 pvs-4 is very nice. Big wide two eyed views and smoother view than my pvs-7 and NVD Micro. Nice change of pace. That biocular is about 4” across and best views are with eyes a few inches away from the lens to take in the whole view comfortably. With no reducer and the 640nm in, the Pleiades just fit into the full view. Very beautiful view of open clusters this way in my 120ST.

All equipment still working good and got a chance to dust off mounts and scopes. I pulled out my t-Rex on t-pod 130 and mounted up my AT152, but by the time I was done cleaning everything off, I knew I was just a hairs width away from overdoing it physically after all the issues I’ve had the last year. Hoping that will change even within the next couple months to where bringing out the big 6” refractor will start being easy again. I put it away this time though and took out the AT72ED on Manfrotto with Benro fluid head. Whew! Much easier load after moving scopes and mounts around. That was night #2. I still caught the Horsehead in it but just a small lump really. I had to use my .5x reducer to get bright enough to see it in my red/white zone. Good to be observing again!

Remember, that website won’t bite and the folks over there are friendly and even have a link to CN. A lot of posters over there post on both CN and there. Would really welcome the new info or old info or any additions really.

I don’t plan on upgrading my equipment for awhile, but some new info on Photonis 4G Onyx tubes would be great or anyone with new L3 WP tubes, or even if you’ve found a deal on an old Omni VI tube that is performing well with S/N under 24. Post some info about what’s working for you if you can. I’ve been reading that some batches of the new L3’s that have occasional supertubes in the 40+ S/N range and resolution of upwards of 80 lp/mm. EBI and halo both less than .7 being seen consistently and that average S/N is now in the 34-36 range. I think by the time I’m ready to get a new tube, we should be seeing even more improvements or even lower priced used tubes with sheeted specs in the 34 S/N range and upwards of 70 lp/mm resolution. Possibly Photonis might get better at blues enough to pick up reflection nebula near bright blue stars. Who knows, but it’s exciting to see the rapid improvements in the last few years. Again, everything I’ve posted over there is a few years old now. Fresh info would be great.

Thanks for reading.

#3 highfnum

highfnum

Skylab

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:42 AM

vondragonnogin

good job on web site 

i would add that

photonis(European ) second gen are not like 

US second gen and are fairly 

competitive with 3rd gens

including Ha observation

• Vondragonnoggin likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics