•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Did some horse trading today

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 AD14EM2

AD14EM2

Explorer 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:47 PM

Beautiful setup. I also have the Genesis SDF/Gibraltar combo & wouldn’t part with it. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • terraclarke likes this

#27 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:16 AM

Same here! Here’s my Genesis SDF and Gibralter:

Attached Thumbnails

• EAFF9852-9B82-4828-A11E-C27A7C9D7699.jpeg

• Paul Schroeder, Mike W, AD14EM2 and 1 other like this

#28 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:53 AM

Very nice setup Terra. How do you like that finder? I also noticed the larger bearings on your mount fork arms compared to my Panoramic mount. I also really like the tube rings and would much prefer those over the clamshell. 

Edited by Compressorguy, 15 February 2019 - 10:54 AM.

• terraclarke likes this

#29 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

Hi Scott, I like the lighter Baader finder and tube rings with a mounting plate when using my Gibralter. The mounting plate I made is 3/8” thick aluminum. I drilled, counter-sunk, and tapped holes for two 1/4-20 studs in the plate, spaced to match the holes in the Gibralter saddle. With the tube handle atop the Parallax rings, I just pick up the scope and lower it onto the saddle with the studs going through the holes, then tighten the wingnuts. I got two nice black plastic wingnuts with brass inserts that match the Televue ones that hold the accessory tray. The Baader finder is nice and light. It is in a custom ring with a finder shoe, that can be used to mount an optical straight through or right angle 50mm finder if I so desire. I have the two Gibralter eyepiece caddys, but the two inch one on the right isn’t attached in this picture because I was at an outreach event and was only using a couple of 1.25” eyepieces that night- a 32mm Plossl, a 25-8mm zoom, and a barlow.

I got an ADM Vixen mounting rail that is pre-drilled for Televue and attached it to my TV Clamshell. I use it with the TV Starbeam finder attached to its top in my big GEM when I want tracking so I have two different setups for the Genesis. I really love the scope. Always wanted one!
  • Mike W likes this

#30 Mike W

Mike W

Apollo

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:13 AM

Hi Scott, here's a photo of the difference in size of the Gib. and Pano. bearings. Note that the new Gib. (HD4) has the pano. size altitude bearings.

IMG_4752.JPG

• terraclarke and DMala like this

#31 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

Called into Televue to inquire about my scope and an actual person answered the phone, a very courteous and friendly person. She actually sounded interested in helping me with my seemingly insignificant request and quickly asked several questions to make sure I spoke to the right department and promptly connected me to Tom B. in technical support, who picked up the phone almost immediately. At this point all I can say is WOW. Well Tom took his time and was very patient with me and answered all my questions. Turns out my scope was mfg on Jan 7th, 1985. He even located the test report and written in the test remarks was the word “Stupendous”. So this must be a really great lens. This really got me excited and was great news and a perfect end to a perfect call. Unfortunately, they will not give out copies of this “internal” test information, I begged but no go. Tom ended the call with a “feel free to call anytime, that they would be glad to help or answer any questions regarding their products”, which I sincerely believe. I most certainly will consider and buy their product given this level of customer care and service. Gives me hope that customer service is alive and well, at least at Televue, even after their product left the factory 34 years ago. Great job Televue if you’re reading this.

Note, had a very similar call to Questar as well several years ago. 

Edited by Compressorguy, 26 February 2019 - 06:23 PM.

• Mike W, Marc-Andre, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#32 Mike W

Mike W

Apollo

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:39 PM

I have called Televue on occasion over the years and ALWAYS get friendly service so when I see them at Stellafane or NEAF it's like being part of a larger Televue family. 

• Compressorguy, Marc-Andre and terraclarke like this

#33 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:34 PM

I also had a great experience in contacting Televue several years ago hoping to get a replacement piece for a Panoramic Gibraltar mount I'd purchased 2nd hand.  The seller had not disclosed the amount of butchering done to the telescope supporting plate with poor drilling practices, and photos were taken with a mounted scope that hid the damage.  There were multiple off-center, oversized, elongated, twisted holes caused by rocking the drill back and forth and allowing the chuck to scrape the surface. Televue provided friendly, and prompt service in finding and sending me a replacement part at a very reasonable price.

Edited by Marc-Andre, 26 February 2019 - 10:36 PM.

• Mike W, terraclarke and jcruse64 like this

#34 Bonco2

Bonco2

Vostok 1

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:34 PM

It's been a few years but I've contacted Televue about 3 or 4 times. Each time Uncle Al answered the phone. What a guy!

Bill

• Marc-Andre, terraclarke and rcwolpert like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics