•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cherry Springs Star Party 2019 registration now open

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#1 Hbgdispatcher

Hbgdispatcher

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Carlisle PA

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

The 2019 Cherry Springs Star Party will occur May 30th until June 2nd, 2019 at Cherry Springs State Park, Pennsylvania.  Registration is now open via the website - for the moment we have a mail in registration form available to download, print out, and mail in. We are in the process of upgrading the website and should have online registration via PayPal up and running in the next several weeks. Visit www.cherrysprings.org to register and for more information and check back for updates about the party as it approaches.

• paul, George N and Jim Davis like this

#2 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:51 PM

The CSSP website is now operational.

https://sites.google...ings-Star-Party

Dave Mitsky

• George N likes this

#3 nateman_doo

nateman_doo

Viking 1

• **---
  • Loc: Dirty Jersey

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but do people bring dogs there?  

#4 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:43 AM

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but do people bring dogs there?  

According to the Star Party Rules web page (https://sites.google...tar-Party/rules) "no pets allowed" except service dogs on a leash.

I've been to this star party (and Black Forest) for most of the last 10+ years and I've never seen a dog there. On a few non-party weekdays - I've seen what looks like "locals" drive up in the evening and take a dog for a walk - but never at night. Also -- remember that bears, coyotes, some really big owls, and other wildlife are quite common - even on the observing field - and they don't "mix well" with dogs. Yes, there are deer ticks - which brings up Lyme Disease.

I just checked the Cherry Springs State Park website (https://www.dcnr.pa....es/default.aspx) - no mention of pets one why or the other - that I can see.

The State Parks have this page (https://www.dcnr.pa....es/default.aspx) and this PDF file (http://www.docs.dcnr...nr_20033478.pdf) - which includes a listing of which areas in each park where pets are allowed - except there's no listing for Cherry Springs! Apparently, you can have a dog in certain camping areas at the nearby Lyman Run State Park.

The best source of definitive answers for this sort of question - the office at Lyman Run State Park (call week days during the day - might take a few calls to get someone this time of year); their phone number is 814-435-5010. The staff is very friendly!

• peleuba likes this

#5 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:13 PM

Absolutely no pets allowed on the overnight astronomy field at Cherry Springs, during star parties or otherwise. There is an exception for service dogs.

Mike

#6 nateman_doo

nateman_doo

Viking 1

• **---
  • Loc: Dirty Jersey

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:28 AM

That is quite sad.  I am sure there is a reason for that.  Some idiot ruined it for the rest of us.  I know some dogs are a bad idea to bring there as not everyone would put them on a leash... and even so with all the cables and what not they may knock gear over.  But if you keep the dog on a leash that doesnt interfere with anyone else, (and you clean up after them) I see no reason why they shouldnt be allowed.  When I do take him places I normally screw one of those cork screws into the ground and attach the leash so he can't go more then the distance of the runner, and I put my scope in the other direction so he can't get near it.  

The only other Dark sight I found is Assateague Island... and its not like they forbid campfires.  My wife can't stand being left alone with the kids AND the dog.  If I could take the dog I would go to Cherry Springs.  But if the park says my dog isnt good enough, then the Cherry springs isn't good enough for me.  doah.gif

#7 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

That is quite sad.  I am sure there is a reason for that.  Some idiot ruined it for the rest of us.  I know some dogs are a bad idea to bring there as not everyone would put them on a leash... and even so with all the cables and what not they may knock gear over.  But if you keep the dog on a leash that doesnt interfere with anyone else, (and you clean up after them) I see no reason why they shouldnt be allowed.  When I do take him places I normally screw one of those cork screws into the ground and attach the leash so he can't go more then the distance of the runner, and I put my scope in the other direction so he can't get near it.  

The only other Dark sight I found is Assateague Island... and its not like they forbid campfires.  My wife can't stand being left alone with the kids AND the dog.  If I could take the dog I would go to Cherry Springs.  But if the park says my dog isnt good enough, then the Cherry springs isn't good enough for me.  doah.gif

Oh, well. Better luck next place.

#8 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

Stellafane -- allows dogs, and cats. One guy even brings a goat some years!

Personally, I've had far more problems with out-of-control kids at star parties than with animals ( except maybe the bears ).

• stubeeef likes this

#9 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:55 PM

I’m glad they don’t allow it, and I’m a dog owner. A few years ago, at our club’s observatory grounds, a dog from a nearby house came over and got tangled up in the cables from my imaging setup. It panicked and ran, causing substantial and costly damage to my equipment. In addition, I enjoy the peace and quiet at Cherry Springs and don’t want to hear dogs barking in the morning after a long night under the stars.

Mike

• Deep13, MikeMiller, aeajr and 3 others like this

#10 djpontone

djpontone

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:45 PM

Does someone have a picture of the t shirt and sweat shirt  for sale ? /thanks  dan

#11 genac

genac

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:39 PM

There is a star party at Cherry Springs at the end of May and another end of September.  Anyone have pros and cons?  Weather must be clearer if colder end of Sept.

Thanks!

#12 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:12 PM

Galaxy observing is the highlight of the Cherry Springs Star Party.

The weather is more likely to be better for the Black Forest Star Party in September.  In addition, the nights are longer and summer, fall, and some winter objects can be observed during the course of the night. 

Having said that, the weather for last year's Cherry Springs Star Party was great.  It was not so great for the Black Forest Star Party.  So, as with all star parties, "you pays yer money and you takes yer chance".

Dave Mitsky

• peleuba, Deep13 and George N like this

#13 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:05 AM

What Dave said -- 'Galaxy Season' vs 'Summer Milky Way' -- but if you stay up late enough at CSSP - you will get a good view of the Milky Way -- and late night at Black Forest features the "Fall Galaxies" -- admittedly not as many bright ones as spring time.

-- plus CSSP is 3 nights, Black Forest is 2.... of course you can always pay for extra nights - but stuff like the food vendor, equipment vendors, porta-potties, presentations, are only there during the star party days/nights.

The best deal -- go to both!

#14 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:21 AM

Following the discussion.  Never been to CSSP but it is on my list of things to do.  Maybe this year I can make it happen. 

• Pbinder likes this

#15 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:48 AM

I attended the CSSP a few years ago and I'm definitely going this year.      

Something I don't remember......   What electricity is on the observing field?     My primary concern is being able to run my CPAP machine in my tent. Being able to power up my mount and dew heaters is pretty important as well.... Do they run cables with multiple outlets across the field like at many other star parties?  Or are only certain areas within extension cord reach of an outlet?

The website mentions nothing about this topic in the 'Rules', 'FAQ's' or 'Etiquette' menus.... organizers may want to fix that...

Or am I 100% 'on my own' for 120VAC power?  

Dave

• Deep13 likes this

#16 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:04 AM

Dave, there are numerous 120v permanent power posts on the field that you can run an extension cord to for your CPAP.  Each of the power posts has multiple GFI outlets. Make sure you bring several ext. cords. I bring a 100’, 50’ and 24’ to use, as needed.

Mike

• George N and JNDiller like this

#17 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:53 PM

Galaxy observing is the highlight of the Cherry Springs Star Party.

The weather is more likely to be better for the Black Forest Star Party in September.  In addition, the nights are longer and summer, fall, and some winter objects can be observed during the course of the night. 

Having said that, the weather for last year's Cherry Springs Star Party was great.  It was not so great for the Black Forest Star Party.  So as with all star parties, "you pays yer money and you takes yer chance".

Dave Mitsky

Or, as I know it from the South, "You pays yo' monies and you takes yo' chances".  Regional thing, I guess.

STARKID2U

#18 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:57 PM

Dave, there are numerous 120v permanent power posts on the field that you can run an extension cord to for your CPAP.  Each of the power posts has multiple GFI outlets. Make sure you bring several ext. cords. I bring a 100’, 50’ and 24’ to use, as needed.

Mike

Also, rules and etiquette are given to you when you arrive and check in.  No dogs, as I'm sure you know. Not a huge stickler for rules ( I have my own quirks) but the dog thing is big with me...

STARKID2U

#19 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

I attended the CSSP a few years ago and I'm definitely going this year.      

Something I don't remember......   What electricity is on the observing field?     My primary concern is being able to run my CPAP machine in my tent. Being able to power up my mount and dew heaters is pretty important as well.... Do they run cables with multiple outlets across the field like at many other star parties?  Or are only certain areas within extension cord reach of an outlet?

The website mentions nothing about this topic in the 'Rules', 'FAQ's' or 'Etiquette' menus.... organizers may want to fix that...

Or am I 100% 'on my own' for 120VAC power?  

Dave

I've used a CPAP numerous times. I can't imagine any objections to a medical device. The real purpose of the electric posts, of course, it to power astronomy equipment. Occasionally, I see extension cords running to big trailers, which is prohibited.

#20 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

There is no restriction on the use of CPAP machines at Cherry Springs. One our club member's has used one for years there during the BFSP. I've seen (and heard) others use them at Cherry Springs during non-star party times.

Mike

#21 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:04 PM

I've used a CPAP numerous times. I can't imagine any objections to a medical device. The real purpose of the electric posts, of course, it to power astronomy equipment. Occasionally, I see extension cords running to big trailers, which is prohibited.

I've a friend who has run a CPAP at Cherry Springs - both at star parties and other times. There is no objection. Most people charge their phones, etc - but I guess those are 'astronomy equipment'.

While use of AC is limited to "astronomy equipment" -- if you ask the Rangers or Park Manager really nice, they will sometimes allow charging of RV batteries during the daytime. I don't have an RV, but I have witnessed a friend getting permission from the Park Manager - daytime only. I have no idea if they would agree again this year.

I sometimes use the park during cold periods. I have seen AC cords running into tents and figured "CPAP"  -- then figured "electric blanket"  wink.gif

Bottom line - there's plenty of AC at Cherry Springs, and easy to hook to. However, 2 or 3 years ago a big thunderstorm did knock the power out for about 6 or more hours - luckily cloudy night, but that would have precluded hooking up a CPAP.

#22 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:29 AM

One other thing to remember -- Cherry Springs is a PA state park -- the state park 'rules' are here: http://www.docs.dcnr...nt/d_001192.pdf

Of note - no booze, and no blocking others vehicles, or access. No noises, unwanted physical or verbal behavior, fires or grilling (except in designated areas).

My fav is not on the list -- please don't set up too close to a big Dob! They need plenty of room to move in a big circle -- probably with a ladder to move along with the scope -- and expect long lines in your area!

In the past I've had SCT, ect, owners (who admittedly didn't understand) - set up way too close - so close I could not move my 20-inch Dob to observe because they were in the way! They saw the thing with a cover on and apparently did not realize that it actually moves in a circle.  And attracts long lines.... I've put out chairs to cover the area - and have people move them to set up!

One year - I came back to find a 'club' had set up a screen tent right next to my Dob - like 3 feet away! (set up several days before they arrived) - blocking half the sky! They refused to move it - so I had to move my scope! A friend had the same issue at Stellafane last year and had to get the people running the event involved to get the 'offenders' to move their tent. "Oh, we didn't know it would block the scope!"

It seems that some clubs believe that they 'own' a specific area were "we always set up".... and if you are there before them.... or move too close later.... they get all huffie….

Edited by George N, 15 March 2019 - 11:47 AM.

#23 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:53 AM

While I'm on a roll...…  wink.gif 

Why do people park their vehicle or RV on top of, or so close as to block - one of the telescope pads! They are not using it - and no one else can either!

Those pads are nice for a stable and dry base for imaging rigs. They are also nice for big Dobs - they are all perfectly level, made of material that does not act as a heat sink and are designed to very gently drain rainwater. If you don't want to use one - don't block others from using it.

#24 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

While I'm on a roll...…  wink.gif 

Why do people park their vehicle or RV on top of, or so close as to block - one of the telescope pads! They are not using it - and no one else can either!

Those pads are nice for a stable and dry base for imaging rigs. They are also nice for big Dobs - they are all perfectly level, made of material that does not act as a heat sink and are designed to very gently drain rainwater. If you don't want to use one - don't block others from using it.

Well, George, did you get it all out of your system yet? Problem? I call the Rangers after asking nicely. That usually does the trick, especially after I TELL them I called the Rangers. Of course, the REAL problem may be that there are too many people for the field to handle. I've said this many times now on different sites but nobody seems to be listening...Get my drift?

STARKID2U

• George N likes this

#25 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:44 AM

Well, George, did you get it all out of your system yet? Problem? I call the Rangers after asking nicely. That usually does the trick, especially after I TELL them I called the Rangers. Of course, the REAL problem may be that there are too many people for the field to handle. I've said this many times now on different sites but nobody seems to be listening...Get my drift?

STARKID2U

I'll be in a lot better mood if there are 3 or 4 clear nights in a row.....  cool.gif 

Maybe it's time for the Park to expand the Observing Field - or at least improve the drainage and ground in the Southeast part.

Nevertheless -- I have always enjoyed myself at CSSP - and I really like what the organizers of this star party do.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics