•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cherry Springs Star Party 2019 registration now open

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#226 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:03 PM

Ok, how many people needed to be towed out?

I personally saw at least 3 -- including the food vendor's vehicle and camper. My truck and trailer pulled right out on Tuesday afternoon -- after near two days of drying, sun and wind.

One really messed up the field. It will take serious work to fix and probably take a year to be usable again. When I went to Lyman Run for a shower on Sunday and stopped at the office, the Ranger was distinctly not happy! He also warned us about more rain coming!

We still had wonderful observing conditions Sunday and Monday nights -- some of the best I've ever seen in 12 years observing from Cherry Springs. Tuesday featured nice weather to tear down and pack -- and apparently another good night for the few who stayed.

So: Here's a big thanks to ASH and their fine Star Party -- even if the best viewing were the two nights afterwards.

Edited by George N, 05 June 2019 - 01:32 PM.

• JNDiller likes this

#227 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

Yes, the field is a bit empty in your photo. I see Conrad's, Tony's and Jerry's campers are still there in the background.

That part of the field got really wet and muddy -- so most people set up there left or moved -- and no new arrivals set up there. On the other hand - the more northern parts of the field had a good collection of scopes, etc -- including a goodly number of people who showed up on Sunday -- or even Monday.

While I was 'off in the sticks'…. and I had a long walk to the scope..... there were no "too bright red head lamps" near me!  cool.gif

A guy did flash us with his headlights about 1 AM on Tuesday morning! He came over and apologized as we were packing up - admitting a mistake in setting his headlights at start-up.

Conditions were fantastic both Sunday and Monday nights. I had just a scope full of galaxies down to 16+ magnitude!  ...and saw deeper in friend RobertW's 22-inch SDM on Monday night! He was right near me - despite not being seen in the photos.

Edited by George N, 05 June 2019 - 01:18 PM.

#228 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

Two of my neighbors - Jeff (white Ford F150 4x4) and Rick (black Dodge RAM) towed out roughly ten people between Wednesday 5/29 and Saturday 6/1.  Everything from other pickup trucks, vans and trailers were getting stuck... as deep as a half foot or more in the mud.

• George N likes this

#229 Larry Mc

Larry Mc

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA.

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:15 PM

hi all,

Only a couple of amateurs now left on the field.

The last of us who camped all week along Cygnus Ave in the Northern section left Cherry Springs this morning.

Last night clouded up prior to sunset, so the three of us packed up in advance. Good thing as it rained before dawn this morning.

So out of an eight night run at the park, only got in 3 nights of observing, including Friday night of the starparty and Sunday & Monday nights.

Monday night was exceptional,, both clear and unseasonably cold!! Really got to take my new camera, a ZWO ASI294 for a spin!!

For those who attended my presentation on observing planetary nebula, here's the direct link to the 'research paper' that contains much more info than I could present.  http://www.stellar-j...er to Abell.pdf

Also, here's a chart addemdum: http://www.stellar-j...rt Addendum.pdf

Hats off to the ASH folks for putting on a great convention!

• peleuba, George N, JNDiller and 1 other like this

#230 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:29 PM

hi all,

Only a couple of amateurs now left on the field.

The last of us who camped all week along Cygnus Ave in the Northern section left Cherry Springs this morning.

Last night clouded up prior to sunset, so the three of us packed up in advance. Good thing as it rained before dawn this morning.

So out of an eight night run at the park, only got in 3 nights of observing, including Friday night of the starparty and Sunday & Monday nights.

Monday night was exceptional,, both clear and unseasonably cold!! Really got to take my new camera, a ZWO ASI294 for a spin!!

For those who attended my presentation on observing planetary nebula, here's the direct link to the 'research paper' that contains much more info than I could present.  http://www.stellar-j...er to Abell.pdf

Also, here's a chart addemdum: http://www.stellar-j...rt Addendum.pdf

Hats off to the ASH folks for putting on a great convention!

Three nights out of eight?? That's probably a good run for 2019, with its endless rain, and terrible storms. While the cold was surprising - I have been observing on that field in temp's as low as 21 F. Maybe again this October or November? 

Lucky for me, I was only there four nights - including the three clear ones. In the springtime - I'm pleased with one clear night at Cherry Springs. One good one and two great ones -- super! Plus some good seeing, at least on Friday night.

With luck -- I'll be back for CSSP 2020! 

Oh, and back at Cherry Springs for a few good clear dark nights before the end of this June or early July. I don't know how they will get the field back in a usable condition -- but considering the awful flooding in much of the USA, the fact that we even had a star party is a good thing.

Thanks for the files!

Edited by George N, 05 June 2019 - 06:31 PM.

#231 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:56 AM

George, STARKID2U here. Nice meeting you in person Friday eve. Happy to hear that you really got your moneysworth out of CSSP this spring. A little jealous, I must confess. But life had other realities planned for the rest of us and so we had to return from whence we came. Maybe BFSP will be kinder....

• George N likes this

#232 John Vogt

John Vogt

Mariner 2

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:01 AM

Hi George,

Glad to hear you got two exceptional nights, I'm jealous I missed it. Did you take any SQM readings?

From your description naked eye views of dark nebulae in the Milky Way must have quite apparent.

CS,

John

• George N likes this

#233 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for attending from your 2019 CSSP Crew!

CSSP 2019 Crew small.jpg

• ArizonaScott, Deep13, George N and 3 others like this

#234 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:32 PM

Thank you so much for running this flawless event.  Huge kudos to your club and each and every one of you!!!!

Clear skies!

• George N and Jim Davis like this

#235 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:50 PM

George, STARKID2U here. Nice meeting you in person Friday eve. Happy to hear that you really got your moneysworth out of CSSP this spring. A little jealous, I must confess. But life had other realities planned for the rest of us and so we had to return from whence we came. Maybe BFSP will be kinder....

Yes.... life does interfere....  wink.gif

I hope to be back to Cherry Springs next new moon or thereabouts. I'll probably miss BFSP - my wife and I live in the Adirondacks in September -- where it is just as dark and I can observe from my camp. I usually only hit BFSP when they hold it in August.

My plan: Cherry Springs - June/July, Stellafane - August, live in Indian Lake, NY for Sept (SQM = 21.8+), take part in Imaging Conference at Adirondack Sky Center & Observatory (https://www.adirondackskycenter.org/) in Tupper Lake, NY in Oct, new moon is too late in Nov to get back to Cherry Springs.

I wish I could do more at Cherry Springs this year -- but one more trip is looking like 'it' -- unless something changes and frees up time in Sept or Oct.

Edited by George N, 06 June 2019 - 06:51 PM.

#236 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:00 PM

Hi George,

Glad to hear you got two exceptional nights, I'm jealous I missed it. Did you take any SQM readings?

From your description naked eye views of dark nebulae in the Milky Way must have quite apparent.

CS,

John

Alas, a friend lost my SQM. My guess would be 21.8 (without Milky Way). I was seeing 16th mag galaxies in 20 and 22 inch Dobs.

As I mentioned, another friend with considerable observing experience in both the Western USA and the Australian Out-Back was 'impressed' with how dark both Sunday & Monday nights were.

There were "smoke patches" that reduced transparency at times - but never more than a third of the sky - usually less. The seeing Sun/Mon was not quite as good as Friday night, but I still saw considerable detail on Jupiter at times.

Oh... and BTW.... It looks like it will be clear the next few nights at Cherry Springs too! I don't mind a little moon in the early evening, or the moon coming up at 3 AM.

#237 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:15 PM

Wow, George, your estimate is spot on. I took SQM readings there Sunday and Monday night. Best was 21.83, on Sunday night.

Mike

• George N likes this

#238 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:20 PM

Here's a link (https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/) to my image on Flickr -- a single 40 second exposure taken with a Canon 80D DSLR and 18mm F/3.5 lens. Taken at 2:30 AM Monday morning - June 3, 2019.

I took a series of 20 more.... so I should be able to do one of these with less noise.

#239 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:33 AM

<<  Best was 21.83, on Sunday night.  >>

That's as good, if not better than readings I've seen at Okie-Tex.  Kind of hard to believe.  But things will be what they will be I guess.

Edited by Chucky, 07 June 2019 - 07:33 AM.

#240 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

<<  Best was 21.83, on Sunday night.  >>

That's as good, if not better than readings I've seen at Okie-Tex.  Kind of hard to believe.  But things will be what they will be I guess.

Not hard to believe. I've been taking SQM readings at Cherry Springs for quite a few years. The readings tend to be higher in the spring, before the summer humidity causes more light scatter. Best reading in recent years was on 6/8/18 when I got 21.93. I'm using the Unihedron SQM-L meter.

Mike

• George N likes this

#241 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:23 PM

Not hard to believe. I've been taking SQM readings at Cherry Springs for quite a few years. The readings tend to be higher in the spring, before the summer humidity causes more light scatter. Best reading in recent years was on 6/8/18 when I got 21.93. I'm using the Unihedron SQM-L meter.

Mike

You better believe it! It can get **very dark** at Cherry Springs!

It's been a long time since I've been to the West - so my memory of it is not good enough to compare. However, one friend has done 3 or more TSPs and 3 Oz Out-back one week observing runs - and he finds skies at Cherry Springs as comparable -- but just not near as many nights per year. People who have only been to Cherry Springs a few times might take a bright-ish hazy night as the best the site provides -- but if you go often enough - you get some nights that can only be described as "epic" -- as in -- nights of legend -- observing conditions that will re-told at endless astro club meetings!  ;)

My best low humidity runs have all been in October - crisp, dry - leaves all turned - very early darkness. Of course the temp can get below freezing after midnight.

Edited by George N, 07 June 2019 - 03:27 PM.

• Poochpa likes this

#242 avzaid

avzaid

Sputnik

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:16 AM

My first time at Cherry Springs was a damp cloudy time, but I still had a good time and plan to go back.  I got there on Wed. 5/29 and left on Sat. 6/1late afternoon.  I was planning to stay till Sunday but the winds started to kick up a bit and heard thunder boomers in the distance. Pack up and left at 6pm.  Some heavy downpours going home to NY.  Got home in 4 and a half hours without stopping.

We had a great night on Friday.  I viewed many objects that I could not see as well back home.  Had to pack it in around 3am due to cloud cover, but very happy this wonderful night.  I must say the people at Cherry Springs were very friendly, but it seems that way is normal when amateur astronomers get together.  I saw a couple of vehicles get stuck in the mud but many people pitched in to help them out.  The grounds were soggy so I was glad I took three pairs of shoe wear.  I attended a couple of lectures and was happy to see and hear Trevor Jones from AstroBackyard ( https://astrobackyard.com/ )  I already signed up for Black Forest coming in Sept. and plan to bring an extra blanket for that weather.

Here is a photo(reduced in size) of the grounds in Cherry Springs.

I haven't been in any star party before, I can find lots of posts on how to protect your telescope and equipment from the elements, but I can not find posts on how to protect yourself, the picture shows lots of campers, but my question is for those brave soles with tents, what kind of tents do you have? any good suggestions? what do you do to keep you tent dry and warm? any tips and tricks for a newbie like myself please? appreciate a picture of inside your tent with all the recommended accessories that made your stay comfortable during the rainy day at Cherry Springs.

#243 Richie2shoes

Richie2shoes

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:43 AM

I haven't been in any star party before, I can find lots of posts on how to protect your telescope and equipment from the elements, but I can not find posts on how to protect yourself, the picture shows lots of campers, but my question is for those brave soles with tents, what kind of tents do you have? any good suggestions? what do you do to keep you tent dry and warm? any tips and tricks for a newbie like myself please? appreciate a picture of inside your tent with all the recommended accessories that made your stay comfortable during the rainy day at Cherry Springs.

This is the only place I camp anymore and I'm typically by myself when I do.  Also, I'm not backpacking, so weight isn't a concern and I pack for comfort. 

In the past, I used a tent in the back of my truck, but recently purchased a 4 person tent.  My knees decided that I needed to stop crawling around, so I bought a cabin style tent.  I can put an air mattress or cot on one side, and have enough room for my gear and maybe a chair in case of rain.  You need a ground sheet (tarp) underneath your tent and a rainfly over your tent.  You need a good quality sleeping bag!  Something rated colder than you think you'll need, or extra blankets. A canopy is nice for shade during the day, or to wait out a short rain. 

The rest of my gear includes: a 6' folding table, a small folding patio table, a folding chair, a folding "zero gravity" chair, a camp stove, coffee pot, water jugs, cooler with food, smaller cooler with drinks, half gallon jugs of water frozen to keep things cold and water later if needed. cooking and eating utensils, a couple small basins to wash dishes, paper towels, a 5-gallon bucket with lid for grey water, bungee cords, duct tape, garbage bags, both 13 gal and a couple 40 gal if I need to store stuff out of the weather.  Finally a couple storage tubs to hold everything.  There's a picture of my old set up back on page 4.

A lot of stuff you can pick up cheap on craigslist/thrift stores/dollar stores.

• George N likes this

#244 JIM262

JIM262

Explorer 1

• Loc: West Nyack, NY

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:53 AM

The tent I use is an 8-person Coleman tent.  I had it about four years and I think it cost around $150.  The term 8-person tent can be misleading,  I like a little space to move around and to be able to stand without hitting the tent.  When it comes to keeping dry, I always use a fly over the tent and no rain water comes in, but it does get very damp and anything touching the inside walls of the tent will get wet.  As for  staying warm, I use a good grade sleeping bag and I sometimes sleep in sweatpants and shirt.  I highly recommend a good quality air mattress,  I am sorry I have no photos of inside my tent setup.  

#245 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:53 AM

Here is the lake we had to deal with while setting up. The state park personnel responded quickly to open the clogged drain. Prior to that it was draining by flowing through the pavilion.

Jeep small.jpg

#246 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:42 AM

After 22 years my old Eureka tent disintegrated when I was takeing it down at the end of Stellafane 2018.

I recently purchased a Eureka X-loft ( a "second" - purchased at their headquarters/outlet ): https://eurekacampin...t-4-person-tent see vids down the page.

I had not a drop of water in the tent, and the vestibules at each end handled my muddy boots. It handled the high winds and pounding rain just fine. Altho I use an air mattress on the ground, this tent is big enough for two cots - plus more room.

However -- even a "second" from Eureka is not 'inexpensive' -- and they no longer make their commercial tents in the USA ( mine came from Viet Nam ) - concentrating on making their military tents.

One of the "secrets" - that should apply to all tenting in wet conditions -- use a ground cloth! The X-loft comes with a fitted ground cloth -- and mine was muddy on the bottom, and dry on top at CSSP.

-----

Warm? I have both winter and 3-season sleeping bags. I should have brought the winter one to CSSP! 

#247 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:47 AM

Here is a view of the Milky Way from June 3, 2019 - around 3 AM -- 10 minutes of total exposure, with less noise than my last post: https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

There was even less low to the horizon cloud the next night.

This was from 20-sec subs -- Canon 80D DSLR and 18mm lens on a tripod.

• Dave Mitsky, Richie2shoes and Stevegeo like this

#248 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

I used a simple Coleman tent with rain fly (ideally suited for 1 person but you can cram two people in there with air mattresses if needed).  In addition, I also use an inexpensive 10x10 ez-up canopy which I place just in front of the opening to the tent (leaving about 1 foot overlap between the two).  There is always a tarp under the tent, and both tent and tarp are staked into the ground.  The canopy is not only staked into the ground, but I also have sleeves which Velcro to the feet of each canopy leg and can hold two standard sized bricks.  You can easily purchase walls for the canopy which Velcro to the frame to provide further cover/protection from the elements.  Having arrived the Tuesday afternoon prior to CSSP and experiencing a tremendous amount of rain, there wasn't a drop of water in the tent... although I did need to maintain the water pooling on the tarp in front of the tent entrance from time to time.

Also - I place my pillow and a large bath towel inside garbage bags just in case of a leak.  I also always bring a roll of duct tape along when camping.  Heaven forbid you get a leak somewhere, you can hopefully patch it up!

Edited by reddog1972, 11 June 2019 - 10:05 AM.

#249 mr1337

mr1337

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

Nice Milky Way shot George - what ISO were you running at?

• George N likes this

#250 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

Nice Milky Way shot George - what ISO were you running at?

Don't remember.... but pretty low..... something like 2800. Lens was working at F/3.5.

I have almost 25 minutes of 20-sec subs and plan on making them into a 'movie'....

I actually brought my iOptron SkyGuider….. but was too busy observing with my Obsession 20 to set it up.

Edited by George N, 11 June 2019 - 12:14 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics