•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cherry Springs Star Party 2019 registration now open

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#251 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:53 PM

My Flickr Album "Cherry Springs Star Party 2019" 

-- Link: https://www.flickr.c...Jvcl-HvaFnRd3dU

-- except all the photos are from late Sunday afternoon - not during the star party ( arrived on Friday ).

Both Sunday and Monday nights featured exceptional darkness - but the seeing was not quite as good as Friday night. I had 16th mag galaxies in my Obsession 20 and enjoyed views thru friend RobertW's 22-inch Dob. He had several Hickson Galaxy Groups (https://www.skyandte...compact-groups/) including one with a supernova that I had imaged a few weeks ago. He was also working thru a list of "billion light year" galaxies - saw one -- really dim!

Can't wait to get back to Cherry Springs.....  And I'll be at next year's Star Party.

• Dave Mitsky likes this

#252 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:03 AM

Nice pics, George! Thanks for posting them.

Mike

• George N likes this

#253 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

My Flickr Album "Cherry Springs Star Party 2019" 

-- Link: https://www.flickr.c...Jvcl-HvaFnRd3dU

-- except all the photos are from late Sunday afternoon - not during the star party ( arrived on Friday ).

Can't wait to get back to Cherry Springs.....  And I'll be at next year's Star Party.

Like the pictures of the mud tracks I made while towing Conrad out after he got stuck towing Doug Grove out.

• George N likes this

#254 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

Like the pictures of the mud tracks I made while towing Conrad out after he got stuck towing Doug Grove out.

That should have been an easy retrieve for an old tanker like you Jim!  cool.gif

My friend KeithW was alerted and bought tow straps for all of us still there before arriving on Sunday. Luckily we did not need them.

I went for a shower on Sunday afternoon at Lyman Run and stopped at the Office to pay -- We had some discussions with the Ranger -- and he was not 'real happy' about that mud pit -- and he warned us that more rain was coming! It did - but ended well before dark (as my pic's show) - for a great night. There was a "mud donut" around my 20-inch Dob however..... especially in the spot used to observe the Coma Virgo galaxies!!  tongue2.gif

Hope they get the Observing Field in shape by the next new moon! I'd like to do a 2 or 3 night 'imaging' run to the park.

Edited by George N, 13 June 2019 - 11:37 AM.

#255 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:26 AM

I haven't been in any star party before, I can find lots of posts on how to protect your telescope and equipment from the elements, but I can not find posts on how to protect yourself, the picture shows lots of campers, but my question is for those brave soles with tents, what kind of tents do you have? any good suggestions? what do you do to keep you tent dry and warm? any tips and tricks for a newbie like myself please? appreciate a picture of inside your tent with all the recommended accessories that made your stay comfortable during the rainy day at Cherry Springs.

I recommend a catalytic heater.  I used one this past CSSP and it kept my family comfortable as the temps dropped.

#256 Larry Mc

Larry Mc

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA.

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

Before I got my little Tab teardrop camper, which has a built-in propane heater, here's a little trick that I used.

Take 2 to 3 of those iron-oxide hand-warmers, open and shake as instructed, and throw them inside your sleeping bag!

It will be nice and warm inside when you're ready to call it a night. Just remember not to lay on them with bare skin, as they can give you a burn.

• George N and reddog1972 like this

#257 mjw

mjw

Explorer 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Moscow, PA

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

I'm looking for a better route to the park. I went there a number of years back using Rt 6 (from the Scranton area). There were so many small towns and stops along the way, I thought I'd try a different way this time. Maybe Rt 180W to Rt 44N? How are the those roads? Many long, steep hills (I'm pulling a trailer), lots of stops, road work/closures, etc.?  Last time I came back via Rt 15S. Never again (Very LONG steep road)!

Edited by mjw, 01 August 2019 - 01:02 PM.

#258 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:53 PM

I'm looking for a better route to the park. I went there a number of years back using Rt 6 (from the Scranton area). There were so many small towns and stops along the way, I thought I'd try a different way this time. Maybe Rt 180W to Rt 44N? How are the those roads? Many long, steep hills (I'm pulling a trailer), lots of stops, road work/closures, etc.?  Last time I came back via Rt 15S. Never again (Very LONG steep road)!

From Scranton I would take I80 and I180 to PA44. There is one steep part of PA44, but it is not very busy and there is very little traffic along the entire road.

• mjw likes this

#259 mjw

mjw

Explorer 1

• ***--

Posted 02 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

From Scranton I would take I80 and I180 to PA44. There is one steep part of PA44, but it is not very busy and there is very little traffic along the entire road.

How long is that steep part?

• Skywatchr likes this

#260 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:20 PM

It isn't long, maybe half a mile, but it is steep; there is a scenic overlook and elevation sign right about here:

https://www.google.c...77.6484098,185m

• mjw likes this

#261 mjw

mjw

Explorer 1

• ***--

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

Good to know, thanks. I hate surprises when traveling.

#262 Hbgdispatcher

Hbgdispatcher

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Carlisle PA

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:59 PM

Just be aware Rt 44 has a few sharp curves on it as well - also once you get on Rt 44 there is very little cell service along there until you get to right up to Cherry Springs Park - it's a great drive but just be aware if you break down you might have a hike to find a house with a phone to call for help.

#263 mjw

mjw

Explorer 1

• ***--

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

Just be aware Rt 44 has a few sharp curves on it as well - also once you get on Rt 44 there is very little cell service along there until you get to right up to Cherry Springs Park - it's a great drive but just be aware if you break down you might have a hike to find a house with a phone to call for help.

So no gps once on Rt 44.

I remember a post a couple years back saying that there have been a number of accidents along that stretch from Waterville to Haneyville. Any way to by pass that spot?

• Skywatchr likes this

#264 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:01 PM

AccuWeather "article" and video about Cherry Springs -- https://www.accuweat...-coast/70008995

I've known Rick & Marianne - the couple mentioned in the article (and their Obsession 20) for over 25 years. I was just set up next to them at Stellafane for 3 nights. They are very generous with their telescope time - as the article describes. I'm also friends with Jim Davis, also mentioned in the article - and here on CN.

#265 Hbgdispatcher

Hbgdispatcher

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Carlisle PA

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

So no gps once on Rt 44.

I remember a post a couple years back saying that there have been a number of accidents along that stretch from Waterville to Haneyville. Any way to by pass that spot?

It depends how your GPS is set up - my GPS still seems to work but (with Verizon) I have no service pretty much from the time I get on Rt 44 at 220 all the way up to the park itself - but inside the park the Verizon works fine. I don't know of any other "direct" easy way to get around the section on 44 from Waterville to Haneyville. It is a scenic, nice drive - but only one I would make with a dependable vehicle - a breakdown on a very rural road with no cell service could make for a bad day.

Edited by Hbgdispatcher, 08 August 2019 - 04:47 PM.

#266 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:06 PM

So no gps once on Rt 44.

Actually there are very few accidents, but quite a few slow-pokes! lol.gif  I used to go that way, but I now take a slightly different route.  But if you're not familiar with the "back roads" around Woolrich.. And there is one not-so "delightful" S-turn early on Little Plum Run Road. If your trailer isn't very long, it's no big deal. I've towed a 26' camper and made it. tongue2.gif  There is a short "steep" hill right before 664, maybe a couple hundred yards total.   Anyways, I end up on Rt 664 that intersects with 44 near Haneyville.  Look up Woolrich on Google maps and you'll see it.

• mjw likes this

#267 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:11 PM

From Waterville to Haneyville is about 4 miles...  All uphill and curvy.

Then there is another steep hill (about a mile) with a few rather tight turns a few miles before you hit 144.  On the way to Cherry Springs, it's downhill.  But on the way back, well you know. grin.gif

Edited by Skywatchr, 10 August 2019 - 10:16 PM.

• mjw likes this

#268 Larry Mc

Larry Mc

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA.

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:46 PM

hi all,

Finally got around to typing up my Cherry Springs Star Party notes from June:  CSSP: http://www.stellar-j.../spr2019-CS.pdf

As they say 'better really late than never!',,, lol

I'll be heading up to Cherry Springs starting next Saturday for the BFSP the following weekend. (spending a full week there to increase the odds of getting a clear night).
Maybe I'll see you all there, of if not, then down at Calhoun in October!

• George N, Skywatchr, JNDiller and 4 others like this

#269 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:28 AM

I'll be heading up to Cherry Springs starting next Saturday for the BFSP the following weekend. (spending a full week there to increase the odds of getting a clear night).
Maybe I'll see you all there, of if not, then down at Calhoun in October!

Hi Larry - nice writeup.  It was a wet one, for sure.  I leave this Friday morning for 8 days at Cherry Springs including the BFSP.  We seem to be in a dryer weather pattern.

As usual, I will be in a Casita.  Hope to see you again.  

• paul and Skywatchr like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics