•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cherry Springs Star Party 2019 registration now open

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#26 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

Edit

Nevertheless -- I have always enjoyed myself at CSSP - and I really like what the organizers of this star party do.

On behalf of ASH, thanks, George.

• George N likes this

#27 mjw

mjw

Explorer 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Moscow, PA

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:12 PM

I know registration closes 5/20, but I'm sure it fills up well before that. Anyone know how long I can procrastinate before committing?

#28 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:09 PM

OK, I am in.   Just registered.  Figure I can risk $45.  If it turns out I can't go then no big deal.

If I can't go can I pass the ticket to someone else?

The current plan is to sleep in the car and live out of it.  

If there is no power, can I bring a small quiet Honda Generator?  Don't know if I would but would want to know my options.  It would be to power a small refrigerator or maybe a fan, if it got warm at night. 

Now that the money is paid, I am getting excited. 

Ed!  Like a little kid under the stars!

• Starkid2u likes this

#29 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 30 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

OK, I am in.   Just registered.  Figure I can risk $45.  If it turns out I can't go then no big deal.

If I can't go can I pass the ticket to someone else?

The current plan is to sleep in the car and live out of it.  

If there is no power, can I bring a small quiet Honda Generator?  Don't know if I would but would want to know my options.  It would be to power a small refrigerator or maybe a fan, if it got warm at night. 

Now that the money is paid, I am getting excited. 

Ed!  Like a little kid under the stars!

First: You will love it!  ….altho clear nights would help!

I don't know about "passing ticket to someone else" - perhaps one of the organizers will chime in, or you can e-mail them.

BTW, you can come early or stay after - for $15/night. Same deal, except no food vendor or presentations.

I've never seen anyone using a generator on the main observation field, but there is AC power.

Quote from State Park Website:  "Electricity is available on the astronomy field from 120-volt ground fault protected power outlets in RV style pedestals (six per pedestal). When the field is in heavy use, outlets must be shared.
Please be courteous of your fellow stargazers. Electrical pedestals are for the charging of telescope batteries and small appliance or laptop use. Camper hook-up is prohibited."

I'm not sure if a small refrigerator is a "small appliance". Fan? While I suppose it could be warm -- an electric blanket would be more likely. I've seen it snow on that field in May! After checking the weather - figure at least another 5 degrees cooler on that plateau. I always bring 4 season clothing, but I don't remember using winter gear in June - but a medium jacket, good hat - and water-proof boots would be a good idea. I have at times been in just a lite 'shell' jacket.

Rules are here (https://sites.google...tar-Party/rules) and here (https://www.dcnr.pa....Stargazing.aspx).

As a first timer - it would be a good idea to read thru both of those websites. Also, for questions - you can call the Office at Lyman Run State Park - Phone: 814-435-1037 The Staff responsible for Cherry Springs is based at Lyman Run.

One final thought - If you use GPS to navigate to the park - be warned that most units will take you to "Little Cherry Springs State Park" - even tho it is much smaller - probably because Cherry Springs is a sub-unit of Lyman Run. I believe that this is the correct address: "4639 Cherry Springs Road, Coudersport, PA 16915"

#30 mkothe

mkothe

Messenger

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

Is it feasible to go and not camp?

I'm not much of a camper, and Stellafane is the only star party I've been to. I have not made it out much in the past couple of years due to family and other issues, and I'm tempted to go to get my astro fix. What would the logistics be? How different is it from Stellafane? I hear that one is special, and not a hard-core observing party, so maybe my experience will not translate?

I would bring my 12" Portaball. Could I park across from the field and set up the scope on the main field? Then, late at night if I don't manage the all-nighter, leave my scope and drive to a hotel? I did a quick search but have not explored in detail what is in the area, but there seem to be some options within 30 minutes? Maybe I have to book soon?

It sounds like there is food (at night?). And presentations during the day? Anything else I would need to be aware of?

Thanks,

Michael

• George N likes this

#31 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:20 PM

It certainly is feasible not to camp and it would go along the lines that you stated.  Coudersport is about a 25 to 30-minute drive on Route 44, which is rather hilly at times.  Care must be taken when driving at night, since there is quite a lot of wildlife, including bears, in the area.

The best motel in the area is the Millstream Inn.

Information on the park can be found at these URLs:

https://www.dcnr.pa....Stargazing.aspx

http://www.csspdarks...ing_information

Dave Mitsky

• George N likes this

#32 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:33 PM

A few points of information from exchanging email with the organizer.

It is possible to assign the ticket to someone else as long as you let them know.

There is no rule against a generator as long as it does not bother anyone.  My little Honda 2000 is very quiet and is commonly used for camping.  Those big LOUD generators would probably not be tolerated.

But if there is power available I likely won't need it.  Not planning to run anything heavy.  I won't need it during observing.  Would make use during the day to run one of those 12V coolers, charge my phone and such.   

Rather than the generator, I am more likely to bring a spare car battery.  When it gets low I can just use jumpers to hook it up to the car to charge it.   But I might bring a 100 foot extension cord and a triple tap if I have room, just in case.  ;) .

Good to know that it is more likely to be cool at night than hot.   Bundling up at night is not a problem.  Sweating is!

#33 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

A few points of information from exchanging email with the organizer.

It is possible to assign the ticket to someone else as long as you let them know.

There is no rule against a generator as long as it does not bother anyone.  My little Honda 2000 is very quiet and is commonly used for camping.  Those big LOUD generators would probably not be tolerated.

But if there is power available I likely won't need it.  Not planning to run anything heavy.  I won't need it during observing.  Would make use during the day to run one of those 12V coolers, charge my phone and such.   

Rather than the generator, I am more likely to bring a spare car battery.  When it gets low I can just use jumpers to hook it up to the car to charge it.   But I might bring a 100 foot extension cord and a triple tap if I have room, just in case.  wink.gif .

Good to know that it is more likely to be cool at night than hot.   Bundling up at night is not a problem.  Sweating is!

Really wish you wouldn’t bring a generator.  Even if it’s a quiet one, the observing field can get pretty well packed in, making it hard to escape the generator’s exhaust fumes.

Mike

• Dave Mitsky and MikeMiller like this

#34 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:45 PM

Good point Mike.   

I was checking to see if it was permissible, but unlikely I will bring it.   Takes up room in the car and I would have to carry gasoline too.  

Was just checking options. For the little bit of power I am likely to need I can make it using the car.     

• Poochpa likes this

#35 Hbgdispatcher

Hbgdispatcher

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Carlisle PA

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

The speakers page on the Cherry Springs Star Party website (www.cherrysprings.org) has been updated with the list of speakers for this years star party.

Also, the party is rapidly filling up, if registrations keep coming at the rate they have been recently, we should fill up sometime in the few weeks - so if you are interested in attending and have not registered yet, you may not want to wait much longer.

Also Also - the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg are joining with the Central PA Observers to run a joint booth at NEAF for both star parties held at Cherry Springs (Cherry Springs Star Party and Black Forest Star Party), we will be taking registrations there for the CSSP (unless we fill up in the meantime!) - please stop by and say hello!

Edited by Hbgdispatcher, 31 March 2019 - 02:42 PM.

• George N and MikeMiller like this

#36 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:14 PM

Good point Mike.   

I was checking to see if it was permissible, but unlikely I will bring it.   Takes up room in the car and I would have to carry gasoline too.  

Was just checking options. For the little bit of power I am likely to need I can make it using the car.     

Thanks Ed. BTW, there's no problem hooking up a small fan to the power posts, as the wattage isn't a big deal--the refrig. you mentioned above would be too much, though.  The food vendor is good at the star party and will have plenty of cold drinks, etc. Bring a wide range of clothes. It can be quite hot on the field during the day and cool off rapidly at night.

Mike

#37 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:57 PM

I am so excited about this.  My plans are evolving as I learn more and start to consider the practicality. 

If I bring a fridge it will likely be a 12V camping cooler that draws about 50 watts.    Something like this:

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,130&sr=8-4

Something to hold milk, cold drinks, perhaps some eggs and bacon for breakfast.   Or I might just bring a regular ice cooler but I don't know if that will last 4 days. 

#38 Hbgdispatcher

Hbgdispatcher

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Carlisle PA

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:26 PM

Ed - I use a regular cooler filled with ice when I'm at Cherry Springs -the ice in it lasts at least 2 or 3 days and I just refill it with ice from Cherry Springs Country Store, the little general store located a couple of miles down the road from the park - unless I make a "town run" into Galeton or Coudersport, then I get ice down there.

• George N likes this

#39 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

Ed - I use a regular cooler filled with ice when I'm at Cherry Springs -the ice in it lasts at least 2 or 3 days and I just refill it with ice from Cherry Springs Country Store, the little general store located a couple of miles down the road from the park - unless I make a "town run" into Galeton or Coudersport, then I get ice down there.

I do the same. 

#40 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:31 PM

Good to know. 

#41 John Vogt

John Vogt

Vostok 1

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:05 AM

Just called Millstream Inn to book a room. They're not taking reservations more than 30 days out. Why?

Driller & riggers are staying months at a clip so they don't know room availability more than 30 days out.

Looks like FRACKING is rearing its ugly head again as oil prices have continued to climb. I'm hoping we won't have repeat of the increased sky brightness we suffered 4 or so years ago.

John

#42 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:53 AM

Just called Millstream Inn to book a room. They're not taking reservations more than 30 days out. Why?

Driller & riggers are staying months at a clip so they don't know room availability more than 30 days out.

Looks like FRACKING is rearing its ugly head again as oil prices have continued to climb. I'm hoping we won't have repeat of the increased sky brightness we suffered 4 or so years ago.

John

There is some sort of new equipment or storage site carved out of the woods along the road about half way to Coudersport. I've not been past at night to see if there are any lights, but there is a gate and lots of traffic during the daytime.

I'm thinking most of the 'gas activity' involves putting in gas lines to the existing wells, not more drilling...… but that's just a guess.

The State and the local frack companies have come to a deal - no flaring on moonless weekends - in fact I think they shut down. Also, the State has purchased most of the drilling rights within 10 miles of the park - and will not allow drilling where they own the rights.

Not to mention that Galeton installed fully-shielded streetlights.

I've found the park pretty dark the last 3 years, and I've used the park mid-week.

• paul and CT Sound Shooter like this

#43 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

All signed up! Can't wait <3

• George N and MikeMiller like this

#44 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• Loc: NEOhio

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:12 PM

So what is the best battery setup for these type events? I will have a classic Cave 8" RFT with an clock drive (AC) and laptop/tablet. Maybe a 12v hair dryer for dew.

It's confusing because I've heard folks talk about deep cycle marine batteries, but you then need a charger and inverter I guess, which adds up.

I've also heard folks refer to jumper batteries.

Forgive my ignorance, but this is my first such event....and my scopes usually live in an ROR observatory with power.

Anyhow I am getting excited regardless!

#45 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:44 PM

So what is the best battery setup for these type events? I will have a classic Cave 8" RFT with an clock drive (AC) and laptop/tablet. Maybe a 12v hair dryer for dew.

It's confusing because I've heard folks talk about deep cycle marine batteries, but you then need a charger and inverter I guess, which adds up.

I've also heard folks refer to jumper batteries.

Forgive my ignorance, but this is my first such event....and my scopes usually live in an ROR observatory with power.

Anyhow I am getting excited regardless!

Newtonians don't have as much dew issues as SCTs, so you aren't in as bad shape as some of us.. If you are not running a big imaging setup, then any "normal" battery system will do fine. A lot of people run off of batteries at night, then use a normal battery charger during the day. Basically any 12v battery should be fine.

This is how I do visual; my imaging system is a bit more power hungry and runs on AC. :)

Make sure you bring a cover to cover up your scope at the end of the night to keep excess water off of it. One of the vendors always has a good selection of TeleGizmos covers, which I use.

#46 erikt

erikt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:12 PM

Hi all! Thinking about making the trek to CSSP for my first star party, but I've got a noob question. I gather from earlier in this thread that galaxies are a real draw for the Spring star party. I've got a 100mm achromat and a 90mm Mak; how is the viewing with smaller scopes?

#47 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:39 PM

This will be my first year also.

How it will compare will depend on your home conditions.    If home is a dark sky area then you might not see much difference.  If home is highly light polluted, like mine, then the difference should be significant. 

#48 erikt

erikt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:12 PM

Thanks Ed, should be pretty epic then. Looks like I waited too long for this one - the registration is closed. I live in PA so I'll try and get out there later in the summer. Enjoy!

#49 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:03 PM

Ed,

I’ve been going to Cherry Springs since the mid 1990’s prior to it being used for any organized star party...    I’ll be polite, but blunt - generators are not a good idea.  Even the quietest Honda is still quite loud in the park during the day and absolutely unbearable at night.

I can tell you with certainty if you started it up, you would be asked to turn it off quite quickly.  It’s completely unacceptable at a star party especially when power is available.

Bring a battery and/or an extension cord.   There is power on the observing field scattered throughout.

The general store that some others posted about is exactly 1 mile from the park.

Also, I think you would benefit in sleeping in a small tent rather then sleeping in the car.   Keep in mind there is absolutely no white light permitted at night and this includes the customary headlight blink when car alarms are enabled.  

• Matt Lindsey, MikeMiller and reddog1972 like this

#50 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the tip on the generator Paul.  I have dropped it from my equipment list. 

• MikeMiller likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics